• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mrfirepro

[Car_Restoration] My 1989 205 1.9 Gti Restoration Project

GLPoomobile

just one request please don't park it near mine!!

and to top it off Tom decided to keep me company for the day.

Guess Tom tempted fate with that one! :D

mrfirepro

well spotted, that did make me chuckle.... :lol:

Tom Fenton

Guess Tom tempted fate with that one! :D

Absolutely, I entered the show and shine late on (about 10:30 Sunday) and the only space left was next to Paul!

Andy_C

Please tell me Paul placed in the S&S?! Having seen his car in the metal it's practically new. As Tom says shiny paint is one thing but the level of detail throughout is damned near perfect.

What does one have to do to get a trophy?????

mrfirepro

I came third in Concours standard, with which I am delighted. The main problem was not the restoration but my presentation and some real basic school boy errors. It was my first time and the judges were helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

I really enjoyed the whole experience and can't wait until next year. I'm not telling tales out of school but I wasn't the only winner was I Tom........ :o

Edited by mrfirepro

Tom Fenton

I'm not telling tales out of school but I wasn't the only winner was I Tom........ :o

Yes apparently I heard that some obnoxious nobhead called Fenton from Yorkshire with a ropey looking laser green 205 GTI managed to bag Show and Shine standard class 3rd place....somehow??

/chuffed!

GLPoomobile

So humble :-)

S@m

I didn't realise that was THIS car, holy f*ck did it look good in the flesh! Twas like brand new. A real credit to you.

Leslie green

Great resto thread and attention to detail ,enjoyed the read.

mrfirepro

Thanks Leslie,

I still plan to do a series of before and after shot to finish the thread off.

mrfirepro

Well it's been a while, it's now a couple of years since I finished the car. Had to take the car for another MOT (which failed, horn not working Dohhh) got to the MOT station and in the car park was this car, thought they looked good together

IMG_8558.JPG

Edited by mrfirepro
  • Like 1

Tom Fenton

Pack animals 205's. Look how much happier it is with another one!!!

• Like 1

Jme

Wow only a few year late to the party but DAMMMM. The attention on you're build is nothing short of amazing. I'm reading all the old restro projects as I'm rebuilding a spare LHD shell with a turbo tecnics conversion. Saving this post so when I get stuck on where things go and what to do I have a good guide. 

mrfirepro

WOW 5 years since I finished this. Shame is I've hardly used it as I've taken on two other resto projects that are driving me crazy. Car was sat in my garage for the 5 years whils I was underetaking these other restos and it got a bit grubby, so decided to show it some respect and these photos are the result.

Now I'm getting to the end of my other restos, some may remeber that I bought a miami Blue one, well thats next on my list. Anyway here are some of the photos from the 205 pampering session, and Fenton I hope I get the siny siny car award :P (Oh and not forgotten the beers I owe you)

49520505002_1bb244e980_b.jpg

49519768313_a3c17224b4_b.jpg

49520286971_3ef3f07404_b.jpg

49519768193_64d24e836e_b.jpg

49519768158_a32e85133b_b.jpg

49520286711_35f9790671_b.jpg

49520504717_6d2b0ea35e_b.jpg

49519767863_030c588d51_b.jpg

49519767833_fab9a1d13e_b.jpg

49519767803_8ec539f2b9_b.jpg

49520504552_6036bfee1f_b.jpg

49519767663_d6e8aa7367_b.jpg

49519767613_97c20b6f23_b.jpg

• Like 1

Jme

It doesn't even look like a real car.... it looks photo shopped it's so perfect and shiny.what are the ouhter restros you have been working on and what's the plans for the Miami blue one? I could only dream my gti would look half as decent as yours

Tom Fenton
8 hours ago, mrfirepro said:

and Fenton I hope I get the siny siny car award :P (Oh and not forgotten the beers I owe you)

49520505002_1bb244e980_b.jpg

Well I’m not too keen on the new green bodykit? But otherwise she’s looking mint!!

mrfirepro
3 hours ago, Jme said:

It doesn't even look like a real car.... it looks photo shopped it's so perfect and shiny.what are the ouhter restros you have been working on and what's the plans for the Miami blue one? I could only dream my gti would look half as decent as yours

a 1991 Lotus Carlton and a 1971 Jensen interceptor 2, plan to give the Miami the same treatment as my red one as it's one of the last off the production line and then I'm done, no more restos for me, getting tired of spending my life searching for parts.

49522696207_961661dbd7_4k.jpg

49522699022_e0956a6304_4k.jpg

Some things never change, garage is still a bloody mess:lol:

Edited by mrfirepro
  • Like 3

Jme

That is amazing that. Big old lump to be pulling out and working on. Be worth some cash that when it's done especially if it has the same attention to detail as the red pug has. I've read a few builds lately trying to get some info and stuff about my build and yours is by far the best I've read...I'm starting a turbo tecnics but it seems info on them is non existent so will be on here alot asking stupid questions 

Leslie green

Id imagine the 205 was easy compared to the Carlton where there is probably very little available for them and huge expense , an absolute beast of  a car remember when they came out and the outcry over how fast they were !  Glad the 205 is still as mint as the day you finished it , driving them certainly takes it tool over just a few short years .

Mac Crash

205 looks amazing, Paul... I have one exactly the same... total and absolute shed compared to your's but still in love with it after all those years ;-)

Telf

Very nice . It's 100% your fault I did mine!!!!

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1565721618123.jpeg

dannydub

Incredible thread. Couldn’t put my phone down once I started reading and looking through your photos. It’s made me want to start work on my one. Very jealous of your level of standard and how good your car looks