• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Sheared Bolt On Bonnet Hinge - How To

scottbarton

Not sure if this has been covered in detail before, so decided to document my repair process for others to use. I know there is plenty others that suffer this sheared bolt issue.

There is a couple of repair techniques that I know of, either re-tapping or the fitting of a Riv nut. I opted for the latter and this option was very successful. I am not saying this is the best option, just the one I chose.

The Problem.

A common issue from what I can gather. Either N/S or O/S bolts sheared after seizing.

IMG_8584_zps0a10bf10.jpg

Here we have very little room to work so the windscreen wipers need to be un-bolted and the 3 torx screws securing the scuttle panel removed. Disconnect the washer tubing. Lift off the panel to open up the working area.

IMG_8585_zps6b4ec46d.jpg

IMG_8586_zpsabcd3582.jpg

Next, from the position of the windscreen wiper arm on the left hand side it will prohibit getting to the rear sheared bolt. You could drop the bracket off by removing two 10mm bolts, but I opted to simply operate the wipers and stop them in a different position.

IMG_8587_zps47235451.jpg

IMG_8588_zps13316f45.jpg

Now we have opened up the working area, we can see what we are up against. The bolt has sheared off cleanly. We now need to centre punch the middle of the sheared bolt to prevent the drill from slipping. Lubricate the other bolts with generous amounts of WD40 or similar product.

At this point i tied up the bonnet and suspended it from a rafter in the garage. When you undo the bolts on either side the bonnet then hung safely for removal.

If this is not an option then you would need a hand to hold the bonnet whilst the bolts are loosened.

Remove the bonnet completely and store safely.

IMG_8589_zpsa24e72ba.jpg

Centre punched.

IMG_8593_zpsc3546ac8.jpg

I opted to use a right angled drill adaptor. These are relatively cheap on eBay or hardware stores.

IMG_8592_zpsc6735718.jpg

Using a 2mm drill bit, drill a small pilot hole through the middle of the bolt.

IMG_8594_zpsb097531a.jpg

Gradually increase the size of the drill bit to open the hole up. To use a 6mm Riv Nut, I needed to drill out to 9.5mm.

Use a cutting fluid to keep the drill temperature down. I used Rocol

IMG_8595_zps18ab651f.jpg

Once the hole has been drilled to the correct size, clean the face of the hole by filing any burrs away.

IMG_8598_zpsf47f95c6.jpg

Using the Riv Nut gun, load up the 6mm fitting and slot inside the hole. Let the tool do its work and voila.....

IMG_8597_zps4f6330fa.jpg

IMG_8599_zps217a0b24.jpg

Next up I picked out some new S/S fittings with new washers and coated the threads with some copper slip to prevent the buggers from ever seizing again!

IMG_8600_zpsc73f609a.jpg

Refit the bonnet and tighten the bolts.

IMG_8602_zps171e35dd.jpg

IMG_8603_zps22daf424.jpg

IMG_8604_zpse3d03d05.jpg

Refit the scuttle panel and re-connect the windscreen wipers. Jobs a good'un! I took the opportunity to fit my new Auto bonnet in the process which is why its changed colour from Blue to Black! :D

Next stop...the paint shop!

Hopefully someone will find this useful.

And finally, a pic of the tools that I used to complete the job.

IMG_8606_zps9f21b39c.jpg

Edited by scottbarton
  • Like 3

welshpug

There's another thing you need to do to prevent this happening again, which is to make sure the top hat spacer in the hinge is free to turn.

2C79A01A.gif

• Like 1

scottbarton

Good point.. Forgot to mention that bit. One of the spacers was actually missing so built it up using a couple of penny washers. Will keep an eye on it to make sure it does not make a bid for freedom! The other 3 spun freely and lubricated with a generous helping of CB-40.

nixonmi16

easyer way is to mig a 13mm nut to the snaped bolt the heat also helps it unscrew done it on all 4 bolts on mine.

farmer

Scott the spacers are only about £1.40 each from Pug if needed part number 7914 15.

Come in packs of five.

• Like 1

scottbarton

Scott the spacers are only about £1.40 each from Pug if needed part number 7914 15.

Come in packs of five.

Good man, thats handy to know. Did not realise they were still available to be honest, thought they were integral to the hinge. Will order some up and fit them when i get the car back from the bodyshop.

farmer

No bother i have ordered some for the next time i have the scuttle panel off, as well as new bolts from Pug.

GLPoomobile

easyer way is to mig a 13mm nut to the snaped bolt the heat also helps it unscrew done it on all 4 bolts on mine.

If you happen to have a welder <_<

scottbarton

If you happen to have a welder <_<

Exactamundo.....I don't, and i really dont think that would of been practical on this occasion anyhow as the bolt had sheared clean off flush with the panel. Drilling out was the only option. :ph34r:

scottbarton

For reference all the following is available from Peugeot. Have ordered up to replace the following:

791415 - Spacers (Number 5 on ServiceBox diagram) - £7.14 (Pack of 5)

791229 - LHS Bonnet Hinge - £20.50

791324 - RHS Bonnet Hinge - £20.50

696212 - Flexible washers (9B on ServiceBox diagram) - £0.23 each x 4

The bolts are also available but have opted to stay with my nice new Stainless Steel ones. :-)

• Like 1

farmer

For reference all the following is available from Peugeot. Have ordered up to replace the following:

791415 - Spacers (Number 5 on ServiceBox diagram) - £7.14 (Pack of 5)

791229 - LHS Bonnet Hinge - £20.50

791324 - RHS Bonnet Hinge - £20.50

696212 - Flexible washers (9B on ServiceBox diagram) - £0.23 each x 4

The bolts are also available but have opted to stay with my nice new Stainless Steel ones. :-)

The hinges are a bit silly priced. I would pay a tenner for them at most for what they are !]

scottbarton

I know what you mean, but at least they are cheaper than the ones in eBay! ;-)

farmer

I know what you mean, but at least they are cheaper than the ones in eBay! ;-)

See what you mean, least its job done though .

scottbarton

Job done! New hinges, bolts, washer jets, hose, and bonnet seal.

image_zps52d8da0d.jpg

2-Pugs

Nice write up :-)

Tom Fenton

Nice write up, only thing I would add (and the way I usually do it) is to drill to 5mm then tap a new M6 thread in place.

mrfirepro

Slightly off topic, but similar. I have a number of threaded studs that have snapped, is there a similar way to deal with these as I haven't tackled it yet

surfer69

Scott,

Was size bolts did you use?

scottbarton

I can't remember for sure...I think they were 8mm.

surfer69

Ok thanks for that Scott..I'll remove one of the others and see if I can get a match.

welshpug

They're m6.

scottbarton

Yep... I used an m6 riv nut, so m6.

matty205xs

hi, hope u don't mind me asking, but iv got the same problem with my hinges except both rear screws have sheared off on both sides. today I started drilling out the drivers side one and that's done, all that's needing doing now is the threading of the hole, but the passenger side one is obstructed by what seems to be a black box with a pipe attached to it, what is this? and also how would I put it back on as one of the screw sheared off in the hole when trying to take it off and the other one iv left so that black box is still held on although I have my suspicions that that one will also snap. would I need to drill out these screws as well and rethread them?

thanks matt.

yorkshirekowboy

Just on with doing mine, I've bought some other hinges, and the top hat has a spring washer behind that then goes into the hinge. X2 set of hinges I've got when the top hat is removed from the hinge, (bah they are right, seize solid)off has the spring washer behind them. But in the picture is doesn't show this, but instead goes behind the bolt?

yorkshirekowboy

Just to add, just done as above and the top hat with the spring washer behind is nice and springy.