• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Juttie205

[Car_Restoration] Dimma Restoration

Anthony

Looks like a very good job you've done on the sunroof there - indeed, an excellent job you're doing on the whole car :)

Juttie205

im just keen to get on with some more but that will have to wait for 3 weeks as im in the north alantic on a rig.

Juttie205

As im now back from work I have check that the glue went off on the sunroof beams all seems good just got to wait for the car spit to be finished then will carry on with floor repairs when I get the car turned over.

I have just had a play with the sunroof trim and to double check it all fitted all looks ok.

P8030231_zps5d7df836.jpg

P8030228_zps9b1d13fd.jpg

Juttie205

Finally back from working offshore and been told im working from office for next few weeks which means I can do some more on the car :) I have done a little over the weekend including removing the fuel tank and the floor under the tank is surprising in good condition so thumbs up there. I have also removed the exhaust hand brake cables and gear link arms all in prep for when car goes on spit which im hoping for next weekend if all goes ok then I can brace car up an remove the old floor.

Whilst cleaning parts inside the car I thought I would sort out the old screw holes from where the dimma showcage was fitted what I thought was a few holes turned into a big mess when I hit with the wire.wheel and was left with no option but to cut out and weld a plate in.

P9280239_zps447a3cd3.jpg

P9280240_zps54a7c453.jpg

P9280241_zps1336f46f.jpg

P9290242_zpsbb83a4d4.jpg

P9290243_zpsf0bd0f8a.jpg

I have also had a look at the rear arches these are not as bad as first thought only looks like some surface rust so far so should be able to salvage a lot of these which is good

Juttie205

Sadly not much has happened to this as all I seemed to be is working offshore at the moment but I did manage to get to the classic car show at the nec which gave me plenty of ideas and made me keen to get on with mine.

The car is allmost on its rotating stand so will then continue with repairs to floor,sills and rear arches but after seeing dipped cars at the show Im really tempted to get my dimma shell dipped if funds allow.

Alan77

Get yourself over to Norway if you can, on a 2/4 schedule :D

Great restoration btw...

Uberderv

Great project, well done :-)

Edited by Uberderv

Juttie205

I spent today removing the rear beam and subframe and getting the car up on the spit, my spit is made up of two engine stands that I got for £50 and my dad made the frames to fit to the car so a cheap frame.

20131210_160612_zps0a9925c5.jpg

20131210_160452_zps268675eb.jpg

20131210_160516_zps22697c30.jpg

20131210_160507_zpsdef37377.jpg

Rear not looking too bad but will clean back to bare metal to see what its really like.

20131210_160523_zpseb2a10d2.jpg

20131210_160527_zps05a03c30.jpg

I have made the beams that will be welded in for when i remove the floor just got to get the door braces made then cand remove floor.

20131210_160543_zpse56bc8de.jpg

20131210_160538_zps7776137a.jpg

Also I placed my new bonnet on and bolted wing on to side that has been cut about and it allready looks a good fit so really happy

20131210_160550_zps278c0dcb.jpg

20131210_160602_zps8c999ef2.jpg

20131210_160556_zps22bd61cb.jpg

johniban

looking good as always fella, nearly there!

Juttie205

Long way to go yet will be few more years yet.

johniban

you say that, i thought mine would take that long, its been in the garage a year now as ive just got a tax reminder through.

i must of worked on it about 2 months worth if i had worked every day flat out, the time ive spent on mine is waiting for pay day so i could afford new stuff.

if you get motivated and spend a good couple weekends flat out you will get a hell of alot done, ive just got little bits to do now, mostly to buy items that are either expensive of hard to find

Juttie205

Im never at home at the moment so not had much time to work on it I have a plan to have it ready for paint end of next year if time and funds allow.

johniban

im going to start sanding mine down, when it running get ready for paint

Juttie205

Bodywork is first for me as this is a full nut and bolt resto.

johniban

could of put a subaru floor pan in it while you were there ;)

Juttie205

Nope this is staying a 1.9 true to how it should be.

johniban

i wanted to keep mine a 1.9 but the rebuilding costs of the 1.9 engine outweigh the cost of sticking a gti6 lump in

Juttie205

That might be the case but i wish to keep it as it should be not after anymore power i have not set any budget for this restortation.

dcc

I have just had every seal, bearing and gasket replaced in my 1.9 8v - came in less than £150 - add the price of a skim if needed... £100 ish? :)

welshpug

indeed, a git6 even done on a bodgery budget would cost more.

johniban

the 1.9 8v has liners, mine needed either a rebore, with most engineering companys wouldnt touch or wanted silly money to do, or try and find a company that sells liners, yes if the engine was good in the first place then a simple rebuild would not cost much at all.. but when your engine needs more than that, you kinda think is it really worth it

artois7

Excellent read start to finish, great pictures! Keep up the good work, it's people like you saving a shell like this rather than scrapping that means in twenty years people still have a fighting chance of running these cars.

Major respect for you!

• Like 1

sensualt101

Excellent read start to finish, great pictures! Keep up the good work, it's people like you saving a shell like this rather than scrapping that means in twenty years people still have a fighting chance of running these cars.

Major respect for you!

i am in total agreement with you dan as i have said before in this thread! :)

Andy205

Coming along nicely, keep up the good work!

mowflow

I can only see this thread getting better and better going on the attention you are putting into the body work. So many, myself included would be happy with repairing the floor. You take it a step further so I'm sure this thing is going to end up one of if not THE best Dimma out there.

On another note. Where did you get the bonnet from? Mine is beyond saving and after dealing with the shocking fit of my front panel I should maybe try a different supplier.