• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Juttie205

[Car_Restoration] Dimma Restoration

Juttie205

wire wheel on drill and scotch pad disc and paint removing disk.

johniban

what do you use to cut out the steel? an air nibbler?

Juttie205

grinder with 1mm cutting disc

Obey_R

I've only just seen this thread so not read it all but looks good from what I've seen! I'm only in Gayton myself, about 10 mins the otherside of swaffham. Nice to see another 205 local! I'm hoping to drop my gti into a bodyshop sometime in the summer to have rust sorted out as I just don't have the time to do it myself :(

Juttie205

nice to see someone local

Juttie205

Heres another small update managed to get plate made and welded in front part of foot well not sure what the curved bit was for but I included it into the new panel I made cleaned welds off all thats left is to wait til car up on spit and weld from underside anywhere that needs doing.

P3300186_zps85938d51.jpg

P3300187_zpse96c48d4.jpg

P3300184_zpse29633cb.jpg

Juttie205

I have not done too much of late due to no time but I have managed to source a good boot floor and a really good floor at a local scapyard so going over there in week or so to cut out parts.I have been getting my spit sorted out and hoping that will be complete in a couple of weeks then I can really make a start on the floor. I have managed to make a start on the roof panel I have that im using as a template to fit vaccum sunroof to my car I have removed the support beams just got to strip roof to skin and use as template.

I had a little play with the front wings and they line up quite well but will need some adjustment for a really good fit.

P4050188_zps1eb6ec35.jpg

P4050189_zpsfac970fb.jpg

P4050190_zpsc17ac1ba.jpg

Obey_R

You found the scrappy then?

Juttie205

yes mate thanks alot hes really helpfull

Obey_R

How many were there still when you went? Ill be looking for some bits soon, too.

Juttie205

think he has 5 im about to butcher one

shooter mcgavin

Great project this, you'll be a brilliant welder by the time this car is done ;-)

Getting it on a spit will make the under side 100 times easier. Mine is coming off the spit next weekend and its getting recycled into a 2 seater Xbox race chair type thing. (The spit not the car)

Juttie205

I have not done as much as i would have likes due to no spare time I have had my heart set on removing a mint floor from a car i found ina scrapyard this has turned in too big a job so now just going to cut out parts i need and carry on patching mine.

I have had a play with the headlights i picked up from scapyard to see how they line up as i have carried out major repairs to the front really happy how it looked.

20130421_185546_zps23e71910.jpg

20130421_185520_zpsf9badfe6.jpg

20130421_185520_zpsf9badfe6.jpg

johniban

looks epic :) id be proud of myself

Juttie205

I have started to have a look at the factory sunroof as I mentioned earlier in the thread that the car had a dealer fitted sliding sunroof which didnt work. First job was to strip the strengthening beams from the roof I got hold of these where spot welded to the roof skin these will not be rewelded to my roof as im going to bond them on dont want to risk warping or blowing holes in roof with welding.

Before I started this job I made sure that the factory vaccum sunroof needed a bigger cutout in the roof skin.

Here are the strenghtening beams I removed..

P4260201_zps7725861e.jpg

P4260197_zps8dd9fa1d.jpg

I then plan to use the roofskin as a template to make the cutout in my panel I just need to cut alittle more out so it fits round the rear wing parts and just need to remove the windscreen so I can pin it into position then mark my roof and cutout.

P4260200_zpsbdb4c833.jpg

P4260199_zps028e2074.jpg

P4260198_zps51d7cf82.jpg

kuuner

hahaha, you're insane (in a good way). Never heard of somebody who actually got started. Most of the people are afraid of the amount of work it is and the waterdrain-part. How are you gonna fix that? Wasn't/isn't it much 'easier' to fit a compleet other roof of a 205 with factory sunroof?

I have great respect for the compassion you have, to clear this entiry job. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Juttie205

i have all the parts for the sunroof including all the drain pipes and vaccum tank and pipes so will be fine

Juttie205

Well updates have been really slow due to just not finding anytime to get out into the garage or over the scrapyard where I was obtaining parts to carry on with any works but there has been some progress as I have now managed to get the floor removed from the car at the scrapyard.

I have made a start on stripping the new floor with the intension of replacing the complete floor in my car im really happy so far with the condition of the new floor with only a couple of bits needing attention now I know I had made a start patching my floor and people may think im mad for taking the approach that I am but I feel that if I can replace the floor with just plug welding and not using patches the repair will be of a better standard.

Few pics off the floor panel

P6150018_zps080b1f6d.jpg

P6150019_zps1a532d57.jpg

P6150020_zps61d9bf69.jpg

P6150022_zps4a9a7456.jpg

P6150023_zps227bd250.jpg

P6150024_zpsae5f936a.jpg

P6150025_zpsb54142e1.jpg

P6150026_zps445a405d.jpg

I also started to clean up the floor

P6150021_zpse071c94c.jpg

• Like 2

Andy205

Why not :D

I'd rather put a full floor in that's in good condition rather than lots of patches.

Good on ya for doing it right!

205turbo

could you not get that new one zinc dipped before you install it?

Juttie205

that could be a idea may have to look into it

Juttie205

yeah know of them allready been to see them about powder coating a load of bits take it if its zinc dipped it wont weld very well?

205turbo

The spots welds that have been drilled out will have to be cleaned up before welding, but to be fair a small price to pay i think for the replacements longevity

Juttie205

think u might be right will have to get some prices