• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johniban

[Car_Upgrade] 1.9 Gti Rust Repairs And Bodywork

johniban

Test fit bonnet with trumpets on, not much clearence at all so not sure what todo here

17995AA0-8782-41E9-ABC8-B28A2407F465_zps

new wing, its a base model and looks identical to a gti wing just doesnt have moulding holes

johniban

A2A05D90-58B2-47D7-B47E-029E87AEEA17_zps

C50EABF7-C770-494F-B977-DCF9A5AD8213_zps

hub assembly refitted with brake hose

5FC09D0D-EFAE-4255-9BA6-704C6FB2A3EB_zps

welshpug

Test fit bonnet with trumpets on, not much clearence at all so not sure what todo here

shorter trumpets and lose some grunt, or get a Satchell inlet manifold, costs the same as the jenvey/maniflow one that doesnt fit anything very well.

miles stocks them afaik.

jackherer

243D27C1-2FAD-46CF-9A80-36D563786C64_zps

Is the gearbox mount only held on with two bolts? Do you think it'll be strong enough?

I'm currently building a 205 for a friend that has had the same thing done to the battery tray and I was planning on replacing it as it doesn't look like enough to me.

welshpug

Good spot keiran, I would say most certainly not strong enough, I have seen many bent and almost sheared battery trays from missing bolts.

yes the 306 mount looks similar, however it has an extra plate over the top with 4 more bolts.

Mac Crash

Should have 4 bolts as standard, yes?

jackherer

Yes, the top layer that the battery normally sits on has been removed and it should bolt onto the top of the chassis leg where a power distribution block has been bolted

Mac Crash

Thanks... one last question on this man's thread if that's okay... regarding braided brake lines... can the copper brake pipes be done away with in their entirety and replaced with braided hoses throughout the whole car? or do you think this will cause loss of feel, too much expansion in the hose for the brakes to operate correctly? don't mind the expense as I have access to unlimited amounts of the stuff, just wondered if this is feasible due to the need for ridgid pipe to make hydraulics work?

jackherer

I've run braided hoses the whole way before and it works fine, it's just normally very expensive! Make some extra sets and I'll take 1 or 2 off you if they are a reasonable price.

Miles

Looks like the box still has the 06 stud, You'll need to change this for the 05 stud as it will wobble around big time inside the bush

Also the fuel rail as I see you have gone for the good fittings is that the middle has a habit of leaking around the O ring seal, A single piece rail is more reliable

Edited by Miles

johniban

Looks like the box still has the 06 stud, You'll need to change this for the 05 stud as it will wobble around big time inside the bush

Also the fuel rail as I see you have gone for the good fittings is that the middle has a habit of leaking around the O ring seal, A single piece rail is more reliable

funny you should say that miles as i need to get a new o ring for one side as i caught it pushing in the pipe, i didn't no you could just fit the one piece onto anything as the injector spacing would differ from engine to engine?

johniban

Is the gearbox mount only held on with two bolts? Do you think it'll be strong enough?

I'm currently building a 205 for a friend that has had the same thing done to the battery tray and I was planning on replacing it as it doesn't look like enough to me.

The gearbox mount i have modified, its been cut down and seam welded all the way around, its held on with two allen head bolts cant remember the size but they look up to the job, i can make the mount so that it bolts up onto the top two original bolt holes but i really don't see it being a problem.

maybe ill fab up something later on if it is a problem

johniban

I had made this previously from 2mm mild steel, but it was heavy and seemed over the top so i didnt bother with it.

IMG_1860_zps9267df18.jpg

IMG_1859_zpsffad1a27.jpg

welshpug

You do need it to tie in to the bolts on the top, or weld the whole thing on.

johniban

really think i need a different inlet manifold, maybe a longer one with more of an angle to it, not happy the way they are at all

8D2D0D0D-0999-42EE-A7E9-08299404CE9A_zps

Going to make up a front slam panel to house the rad, oil cooler and to fit around an air filter

47CDB59B-9A98-4BEB-9033-EF61D1672D80_zps

johniban

I bought this little kit, although its from a 106 turbo i thought i could use it on the gti6 engine, when it turned up i found up the braided pipes are really long and i cant loose any pipe anywhere without looking stupid and it looks like AN-12 with i think is way overkill for an oil line!!

think im going to keep the mocal oil fiilter relocater as it has an output for a turbo feed witch i shall ad an oil pressure switch/light too instead.

The sandwich plate doesnt fit though as the gti6 engine has a long inner bolt thats way too long

8D73EAC5-133B-4C6D-B1EB-35F2D53B9342_zps

46AC42FC-B167-457D-B52B-3BE30328DE3A_zps

D1CAF4C8-4FCE-49D8-9337-FFBC99FE9F8B_zps

C0D829A4-5BE1-4F3A-B8CB-7A580266DCB3_zps

http://s13.photobucket.com/user/johniban/media/Mobile%20Uploads/D2B6BB44-BAFA-4C44-AB52-B56DC067BFE2_zpswhmgiarn.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

BAD31EC8-61FE-4E56-9977-2B346DA5D641_zps

61B4FC38-EE14-45CC-87CD-55F551E4B757_zps

Unsure weather to just sell the kit on again to someone looking to turbo a TU engine or take the bits out i want and sell the rest,

welshpug

You could just shorten the lines, no special tools needed, and get a shorter bolt.

johniban

the lines have crimped ends theres no easy way to just shorten them

Mac Crash

the lines have crimped ends theres no easy way to just shorten them

Pirtek or Hydrasun will easily re-end those hoses for you, or send them up to me for the postage costs and I'll have it done for free.

johniban

cheers fella but id rather downsize the hose to maybe an-10 then i can make it up as i go along

welshpug

whoah, DOWNSIZE to -10?! -10 is pretty big as it is :lol: 16mm o.d for -10, -12 is nearly 20mm!

though for oil, not hat big I guess, but still.!

Edited by welshpug

johniban

ive got AN-8 and 6 on the 106 for fuel lines, the hoses i have on this oil cooler kit are massive ive not measured yet but they look really too big

20mm sounds about right!

you can see the size of the hose compared to the oil filter, the turbo feed hose with the removable fittings is an-6

johniban

think im going to sell the sandwich plate, lines and cooler together as one package and keep the oil filter relocater as they seem pretty hard to find

Miles

You can see the solid pipe on mine, TBPipe_zpsac146ed5.jpg

Just ring up Jenvey and ask them for one, you will need to measure the centres for the injectors thou

johniban

This came through today, pretty impressed with it, looks awesome and is pretty compact,

8AF93F80-23F8-43CF-84ED-E2016097AC12_zps

return line started

9E9C7897-82CA-4586-B76B-43FEC6FBCFB7_zps

regulator fitted in place, bracket looks tacky so want to make up a new one later on, but theres plenty of room around it

BD5391DB-2094-483A-93CB-83E1583DC862_zps

DAF85907-FD85-44F6-B08D-DCD778D9C55A_zps

need some of them clamps that join the two hoses together to neaten it up a little

5A119E52-C3E8-40F0-A03D-33B7EBB016B4_zps

lines fitted under the car

68D1B805-3145-4D16-B674-0AA9D0E9B055_zps

7705F0BF-0904-426E-B829-353EB286CFAB_zps

1BDDFBB9-9F12-4915-86EF-34D70321BBE1_zps

ill add a fuel filter in the line somewhere at some point