• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johniban

[Car_Upgrade] 1.9 Gti Rust Repairs And Bodywork

johniban

purchased a roll off msa spec braided teflon fuel hose, bit over the top for what i need but looks good and does the job well

test fitted them

null_zps2f23bcfc.jpg

Lowercase

if you change carbs give me a shout john :) could be just the ticket for my derby.

johniban

id love 45s if i could find them mate, im going to strip and service these first make sure they are tip top

johniban

managed to have a shift around in the garage and get on with the vary last bit of welding and the bit ive been dreading... the boot floor.

I originally wanted to keep the shape of the boot floor, but as it was all rotten, and my plan is to mount my silver top pump and a swirl pot under the car i used some flat steel,

null_zps41967649.jpg

out with the old

In with the new

null_zps4354436a.jpg

there is rust still around the edges but its only surface so should clean up ok

johniban

4333C508-7DE1-420E-8349-00B5FB0FF2A1_zps

all welds seam sealed ready for paint

johniban

couldnt find any ht leads to suit my needs so im making up my own, and works out about a quater of the price!

7A3F3B1B-0359-4DC2-B7F1-37CC25E237CC_zps

465FBA42-2D83-4967-95C2-2007C6470C49_zps

artois7

Just read through it - come a long way from the start mate! I understand where you're coming from with the carb set up - do what you want to do and make it your own; at the prices you paid you're going to profit on the parts even if you sell them on!

johniban

Thansk you mate, to be ohnest i haven't driven with the set up yet so ill probably end up loving it or hating it but i dont really mind as it isnt my everyday car and i have a 205 rallye to mess about in too :)

johniban

finally it seems like im getting somewhere now all the rust work and welding is done,

Got the back seats in and set belts, it seems ive lost all the brackets ect somewhere.

8EB690A3-2A0F-4DDB-A115-5ECBF1D4EDE4_zps

Trying to find some where to mount the silvertop fuel pump that wont look like its just been chucked in the boot

johniban

Then i done this..

6FCA06C7-52C5-44D8-9426-02A5CA62EFAB_zps

I didn't want to just put a bent copper tube in the fuel pump, so i fitted some Torques anodized fittings, was pretty hard trying to figure out a set up so i can still keep the interior 99% standard, and keep the rear seats in and usable without crushing the fuel line.

3AF6E5EB-1A7D-4E2F-8C85-87097FAB0D9C_zps

Very expensive modification, each fitting is about £12 and i think i used about 3 or 4 and probably isn't needed but for my peace of mine i done it anyway,

johniban

I will block off the return fitting as its not used as im running carbs.

Unfortunately i had no choice but to cut out a small amount of the body around the fuel pump hole to get a 90 degree fitting in there, i will tidy it up at a later date

96971957-D267-4C75-B821-CC8D274456A9_zps

johniban

took a step back today and removed the engine, need to get some bits done that i couldnt do with the engine in.

My new manifold turned up, its a gti6-205 conversion 421 manifold, unsure of the make and would love to know????

its mild steel witch i prefer as you dont get the tinny sound with stainless steel, im going to sand it down and repaint it silver, but i will be making up a stainless exhaust system

3657B115-9B59-4334-AD77-B47961F4799B_zps

F9B59DD7-87E5-42DC-A399-0F1077911C02_zps

BCB91DF5-BEF4-4CC9-8D75-A7733DF031A9_zps

613CB723-C0C6-4F5D-8EED-84573958C7DF_zps

welshpug

I would not be happy with a fuel pump inside the car, underneath every time.

johniban

I appreciate the feedback, do you think i should mount it under the boot floor?

welshpug

I would personally yes, its exactly where it sits on my 405, including the inline filter, less clutter in the engine bay :D

johniban

Would you be happy to take a couple of pics of your set up for me? just for inspiration :)

I kind of wish i just used normal black fuel hose instead of this fancy braided teflon pipe as its going to cost a bit now with all the fittings i need, but should hopefully look pretty good

feb

I was thinking about this the other day, so funny that this little bickering debate popped up here. All these years people have been going on about carbs being a thing of the past and you "must" have ITBs these days as they are reliable, only need mapped once blah blah blah. I'm sure there's truth in that if you get a really good quality setup that is perfectly mapped. But in the years I've been a member on here, and all the project threads I've followed, and the countless threads I've read, it seems to me that a heck of a lot of people have problems with their ITB setups on regularly used cars. Whether it be simple things like failing sensors, or things moving out of place, or somehow the map resetting itself. Seems to me that an ITB setup is not quite the robust solution that people make it out to be. Granted they do have lots of benefits, but I think people shouldn't kid themselves on that they are "fit and forget".

You couldn't have put it better.

I haven't had carbs in my GTi but I have had two cars with carbs, a 205 1.0 Trio Plus followed by a 1.0 AX, both of which were very reliable and never needed anything done to them.

On the other hand I had numerous problems with my 205 that had an Emerald ECU, the biggest one is the inability to control the idle properly, which ironically was one of the reasons I wanted to try an aftermarket ECU (apparently the main reason being a hardware fault with the Emerald it seems - it wasn't only my car that had such problems, there were/are others on here if you do a search on Emerald), but whatever the problem was it didn't make the car more enjoyable than my old 1.9 8V that had the s*itty Jetronic when it was running at its best the first time around I owned it.

Lesson learnt: unless you have the time, patience, inclination and knowledge yourself don't start messing with aftermarket ECUs etc.

I'll get my coat now.

Edited by feb

johniban

Im not really going for carbs for any reason, not saying they are better than itbs, im just interested in the old school set up on an old school car with an upto date ish engine, the joys of owning a classic car with classic parts :) not electronic ecu rubbish

feb

Electronic ECUs are far from rubbish compared with carbs, it is just that you need to put a lot of work into making an aftermarket one behave like an OEM one.

Edited by feb

Reebmit

You could have kept the original injection pump and used the filter king set at around 2.5 to 3 psi, works perfectly and very reliable :)

• Like 1

johniban

please keep the carbs vs injection to another thread its been argues too many times and i really dont care

• Like 1

johniban

You could have kept the original injection pump and used the filter king set at around 2.5 to 3 psi, works perfectly and very reliable :)

I want to do my car properly, i cant help but thinking that a 4 psi regulator is not designed to limit 2-3 bar of pressure down to 4psi, plus the fact i have replaced the rotten looking fuel lines with teflon braided msa spec fuel line now all the way from the underside of the boot where the knew pump now is

johniban

do i make a stainless system or stick to the mild steel as the manifold is? ive pained the manifold a stonechip light grey colour witch looks pretty good witch i think the system will look pretty good and maybe a silver or something for the rear box that i will have to make up.

Reebmit

Hi John, filter kings are fine setting down to 2.5 to 3 psi, used them for years on many cars, one of my 205's is running 45's with this set up. But you are a little way down the road with your conversion now so don't worry. Keep up the enthusiasm, worth it in the end...I enjoy reading threads like this :)