• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johniban

[Car_Upgrade] 1.9 Gti Rust Repairs And Bodywork

johniban

Now as this is no track car and i want it looking as standard as possible from the outside, i didn't want an oil cooler on show, so i have a black mocal cooler, but then still couldn't decide where to mount it, so after alot of research i decided to mount it in the engine bay,

C1250FF7-6A83-401C-BE2E-A59F5F671707_zps

54248A09-99DA-4880-9158-DBAAEA2EF4F3_zps

Mounted to the strut tower and the inner wing, its not mounted solid so there is some room for a tiny amount of movement, think i may invest in some rubber mounts in the long run

johniban

So now after filling with fresh oil, coolant and petrol, getting the ecu connected up the laptop i uploaded the base map

8ED64099-3D4E-4D6D-95CB-8CA02F20C85D_zps

johniban

Switched on ignition, fuel relay clicked but no fuel pump....

Checked feed to the pump, nothing, checked earth all ok.

checked feed out of the relay, that was ok

The thick white wire on the brown multiplugs i assumed was going to the fuel pump but when checking resistance it wasn't, so i made a jumper wire to the pump from the relay and i had fuel..

bled the air out the lines and it started! lumpy as hell and back firing throught the throttle bodies,

After getting the firing order right on the leads it now runs alot better,

still runs lumpy but i think thats down to the ballance of the bodies

dcc

Bit of friendly advice, bin that adjustable fuel reg. Well done on getting it running.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Two cooling fans aren't really necessary in my opinion. I reckon you would be better to lose one then you can put the oil cooler in front of the rad.

I don't think it will achieve much where you have put it as there will be naff all airflow to it.

welshpug

Agree with Tom there, I run a single 250w 306 rallye arrangement on my zx, no oil cooler, just a heat exchanger.

Also as Dcc says, no need for the adjustable fpr, more trouble than they're worth, there's never any need to alter the pressure from a fixed value.

Edited by welshpug

johniban

Bit of friendly advice, bin that adjustable fuel reg. Well done on getting it running.

I have been told this before, but i don't really want to be spending more money on a fixed one if i don't have to, surely it will be ok if i dont touch it?

johniban

Two cooling fans aren't really necessary in my opinion. I reckon you would be better to lose one then you can put the oil cooler in front of the rad.

I don't think it will achieve much where you have put it as there will be naff all airflow to it.

Only reason on having two fans is i wanted one controlled by an inline coolant pipe sensor just as a back up incase the ecu failed for what ever reason,

welshpug

you don't need to spend money on a fixed FPR, just use the standard gti6 one you took off.

my fan control is 100% standard, no link to the ecu.

johniban

Agree with Tom there, I run a single 250w 306 rallye arrangement on my zx, no oil cooler, just a heat exchanger.

Also as Dcc says, no need for the adjustable fpr, more trouble than they're worth, there's never any need to alter the pressure from a fixed value.

Thanks for the advice, id rather it be more effeicent at cooling rather than less effecient, cant see that having two fans will be a problem, they are there now.

As for the FPR i was advised to get one of the 'cosworth' style fixed ones but i already has this in a box waiting to go on, im sure if its fixed at a certain pressure it wont need changing?

johniban

you don't need to spend money on a fixed FPR, just use the standard gti6 one you took off.

my fan control is 100% standard, no link to the ecu.

How would i go about using the standard regulator? it wouldn't fit in the jenvey rail

welshpug

I use standard rail and a Jenvey rail.

johniban

I'm using omex 600, it doesn't support 8 injectors, i could plump them in but its pretty pointless if i cant use them

johniban

Decided to take you guys advise on the oil cooler/fan set up and im very happy with the result.

Ditched one of the fans and sorted out a relay set up for it with heat-shrinked connections.

Moved the oil cooler down to the front of the car, welded on mounts to secure the cooler, just need to secure the hoses neatly

931C52FB-4697-45F4-A4D9-A0E7CA421CBB_zps

johniban

I wasn't going to bother with the slam panel, but it makes the front end come together more easily with the grill ect and ive folded the rear section down to hold in the radiator,

D98610AC-3FFE-4C0E-ABD6-7BDABA28F32C_zps

johniban

I bought an exhaust system witch wasn't so straight forward to fit as id have hoped!!

When i bought it, it was in one long length and dhl wouldn't post it to me so i had the lad cut it in half to post and i welded it back together when it got here.

So this is the rear box, apparently custom made for a 205 but both of the mountings are a really poor fit so they will be getting cut off and better ones welded on..

I am however really happy with the tail pipe size and look

2EF448B0-C5C3-4DEB-8E69-93698CBF8223_zps

Middle section welded back together..

D0DB6B76-CE60-4502-A9EC-C614DB71A2EF_zps

2166A3B2-7591-4E60-B19E-8A131D059B70_zps

B5013663-DD99-428C-B3AD-36FEDB6A1074_zps

johniban

I'm really impressed with the sound of it on idle, it sounds pretty standard, ive gave it a little rev and you can hardly here it, well over the sound of the throttle bodies anyway,

Im yet to test it on the road

johniban

Got down the garage on the weekend,

Fitted some gold heat reflective stuff to the bulkhead,

Also ive now moved the omex ecu, fuel pump relay and ignition relay to the glovebox and have moved the wiring loom to cut across the top of the gearbox and follow the rest of the loom up behind the nearside strut.

Much happier now its not near the manifold.

Also ive bought another slam panel as i wasn't too happy with the one i modified

A3C44C12-8EA8-44A9-A2EF-92DC4C37A0C2_zps

johniban

Ive also now fitted a gauge to the fuel pressure regulator to check the pressure is ok.

Ive made up a new small fan loom with a two pin radiator switch and a relay bolted to the slam panel, all heatshrinked, phone died at this point so couldn't get any pictures!

Neatened up the slam panel where i cut to fit the air filter with a file and Fitted some trim to neaten it.

656F0B01-5B3F-4548-9876-D4D0CF96B591_zps

No idea why it took in black and white

johniban

Now i have no way of using the original catch so i bought some Aerocatches.

I toyed with buying some cheap ones but i have used some before an actually snapped on of the pins off so genuine Aerocatches it was.

I'm not a fan of the ones that bolt from the top, maybe stronger but i prefer a more standard look so i bought the ones that bolt to the underside.

F385D4B7-2C67-4ED3-8B25-074729CC8F25_zps

F7A9C4FB-0403-4B98-99C9-9DB84D70FC72_zps

measured and measured, marked and marked

Cut out the first skin with a cone cutter and a small air cut of tool

Then cut the second skin with an air cut off tool,

96E75EF3-C050-4240-B49C-04E05B1B5307_zps

johniban

Sorry for the lack of pictures but basically they were a right ball ache to fit! now ive sanded down the top of the catches and applied a small skim off filler around the edge to blend into the bonnet skin,

Looked really good to me untill i gave it a quick spray of primer and noticed it needs further sanding and filling

B0101A61-20E7-4836-8A1B-0BA925C7476B_zps

johniban

second catch in, took photos this time, applied some epoxy to the catch face and the bonnet skin, prior to bolting them in,

4D2BA9AC-3E2E-4107-B270-F5C191C5A806_zps

johniban

Harden that i would have thought to get it looking perfect,

D5286DDE-6C3F-4A30-AA6E-2EEB474D90F4_zps

Tom Fenton

The top mounted aerocatches are much easier to fit.