• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johniban

[Car_Upgrade] 1.9 Gti Rust Repairs And Bodywork

johniban

http://forum.205gtid...?showuser=15479

im sure that was the the previous owner if you look through his posts he may of put some pics of it on, it must be a right pain working on it in a small garage.

he doesnt have any posts to view. yeah is a pain, its not that small but i got tool box ect

i dont mean to spread doom and gloom but your inner sill will be rotten right up to the door,and bottom of sill extremely rusty to the point that its the stone chip holding it together and it will more than likely rot through in near future,it looks just like my shell was both sides,and the only way to fix it is to take the sill off and replace it,sills are only 30 quid though

Your not speading doom and gloom.

the outer sill isnt bad at all.

its the inner sill that is rotten

gti_bob

Cool project mate. I just joined and posted a few pics of my gti. After reading a few posts I think Im lucky as I found no rot yet just surface rust.

johniban

thank you bob, ive not had a chance to touch it yet really, saving up for a new welder so i can start cutting parts out.

get a project thread up id like to see it

pugpete1108

Man up I've just done a full respray in a garage that size :)

Lots of shuffling about and a loft full of car parts.

Oh and an engine in the kitchen......

Keep up the good work

johniban

my garage is away from home so only have that space for the parts aswell as working on the car.

the problem i have is getting the car high enough to work on! need to replace the inner sill and isnt really enough space to work on it down the side of the car in the garage, i need to get the fuel tank off ect. just knowwere to put it it annoys me

NFS

Chin up mate, it will all be worth it in the end, my workshop isn’t massive and I have all the parts there and a full workshop of tools and compressors. You just need to be creative with how you lay out the parts, could you not take some home with you? that’s what I have done, I have a spare room with all the interior parts in.

As for jacking it up you could either jack from the front subframe and the rear beam and use the same place for the axle stands. There is always places to support it, or when you get your welder you could make yourself a shell roller thing.

What happened to me was I had it jacked up and on axle stands then removed the rear beam before taking the engine out, once the beam was removed the car tilted forward and once I braced it up I had a crazy amount of room to treat and underseal the underneath.

johniban

ive took the rear beam off and the engine is still in, i wasnt that lucky :(

got some time off over xmas going to make some progress on it

johniban

Booked some time off over xmas so while the mrs was working i got down the garage and got on with some bits on the 205,

Firstly i had a tidy up to clear some much needed space,

BCF14DF5-010E-4636-9891-66CAF8DC1AB5-277

065DABB3-0B52-4DBA-A974-125B7194AAF5-277

Theres just not enough room for everything but i try and do my best with what i got,

Got a new welder witch has improved my welding dramatically~!

johniban

When i free up some cash ill buy some metal supplies and make a nice workbench that my tool box will go under and to mount the vice, at the moment i got an old computer table and a dog gaurd as a table that ive tacked onto my tool box

johniban

Got the fuel tank off after cutting all the bolts off!

20ED857F-B7C2-4549-87B2-7C059A4DF3F5-277

As much as some people may hate what im going to do i feel it is best for me.. im going to cut out where the original tank was as its rotten and sink a nice stainless tank into the floor, ill make a well for it to sit in.

johniban

cut the offside outer sill to see how far back the inner sill was rotten

C9F83DCD-008E-4F8C-8283-C08AF2DE5EEB-277

D93F375F-E069-46B8-99B6-35DCB0FD02C1-277

the inner sill has practiacally nothing left of it, will have to do alot of cutting and welding here

Leet205

That is a familiar sight! I have done the exact same on mine on the o/s sill.

Good luck with it :)

NFS

Nice to see you making some head way with this, looking at this im starting to really appriate the cleanish 205 i have, some work you have cut out for you. will be keeping an eye on this to see what you do with it :)

Juttie205

looks like a gd project you have yourself there good to see another shell getting repaired.

johniban

Trust me i have had the thought of re-shelling it, but this car was my dads and i want to keep as much of it as i can.

That is a familiar sight! I have done the exact same on mine on the o/s sill.

Good luck with it :)

Oh really? do you have a project thread for it? would love t get some ideas.

johniban

Got down the garage today, its been raining at the place is flooded again! buts it all dry in my unit

4A7DC1B6-9FB9-41CF-8272-976FAF1691EE-116

76FE0961-0647-4CCE-BEEF-7CAFE89982D7-116

johniban

finding it hard working on it crawling around so decided to make an axle stand to hold the rear as high as i can,

i made it out of an old axle stand and some 3mm thick tube i had left over from my landrover

89CE0D53-FE5B-477B-A802-59E5F287E6F8-116

0BFDFDBE-1054-4283-93E1-F0C01353285A-116

1106E375-3F7D-4721-9EE0-1B7B9255E072-116

53EA035B-D6C5-4912-AD46-DF5129087AB1-116

welded it up and gave it a lick of primer

18A7A6AB-DDB0-4A2A-AE7A-0CD5E1BEF612-116

04D87CD7-F143-4EFA-9DDC-E683D36E6A8D-116

johniban

apparently know one near me stocks steel sheet, found the only bit of 1.2mm sheet for £8 witch wasnt too bad to be fair.

EF71AC7D-9A64-465F-BDB2-3A4282FECD8D-116

Got the rear bumper off and the rust is getting worse

ECBDA643-91B3-4E65-822A-ADEA052459DD-116

johniban

Didnt get any pics of the rust but cut one bit out and tacked in a fresh bit

EA01008B-EF91-49EA-BBF7-A796C1C02049-116

now ive ran out of welding wire! arghhh so annoying!

Well im back to work tommorrow so wont be able to get down there again untill i get some new wire so flashed over it with a lick of primer to prevent rust

4609FDBF-EF18-4869-AC1D-04F9B8FC22B5-116

B0EA036C-50F3-42A6-AC7E-26346FA5880F-116

9DAE4254-CCBB-40A0-8A84-8A102D405222-116

DamirGTI

Trust me i have had the thought of re-shelling it, but this car was my dads and i want to keep as much of it as i can.

I know the feeling ... keep up , as with the sympathy saving your dads car , as a benefit you'll learn a massive lot of bodywork repair techniques , lacquers , sealants , rust preventing , welding techniques etc. etc. ...

And that'll be very keen to be able to fix bodywork repairs by yourself , cos it's entirely different "animal" compared to the mechanics :) ... and it'll save you a lot of money in future , being able to fix up medium grade crash or rust repair .

Myself , i certainly haven’t regret doing this , more to the point i would be clueless about how to fix bodywork stuff :blink: :

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=97351

... today , i'm gone up to repair state of seamy severe crash repair (with the tools that i have ..) .

This is very good site about welding , paint prep etc. check it out :

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Just don't get the rusty crap scares you - it can be done , enjoy learning new skills B)

Damir