• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

205 Jigging Data

M@tt

Does anyone know if there is information out there about 205 chassis dimensions etc that would be used for jigging or replacing panels etc?

ta

welshpug

Must be something out there, but finding it is another thing altogether, some old school dealers with bodyshops would be somewhere to start, I've got some 205/309 data sheets from the bodywork Binders and it does show the chassis leg repair but its a supplement to that section so only shows additional data for later cars.

MiniGibbo

Given how cheap it is for anther donar car for the shell lets say, surely makes jigging false ecconamy..?

welshpug

Given how cheap it is for anther donar car for the shell lets say, surely makes jigging false ecconamy..?

with that attitude, there wont be any 205's left very quickly.

Matt has done far too much work to this poor 205 to give up now as well :lol:

Rab Elliott may be able to help.

Emmy Seize

I've got the Celette jig brackets for the 205 plus documentation. And a copy of the Revue Technique, which is quite helpful as it lists all the body dimensions.

Anything in particular you are looking for?

M@tt

basically the situation is when i came to refit my front headlight panel i discovered that the drivers suspension strut wasn't correctly aligned, as it had in a previous life suffered a smack to the drivers side chassis leg at some point. Basically checking diagonals between the back mounting hole for the front wing and one of the strut bolt holes on the other side showed up the diagonals weren't the same, and indicated that the drivers side was slightly pushed in.

I also discovered the spot welds between the body and the top of the inner wing on the drivers side were no longer attached!

So i bought a porta power and using it between the struts I pushed the drivers strut/chassis leg out til the diagonals were equal meaning everything was nice and equidistant again.

IMG_1281v1.jpg

however then when i came to fit the headlight panel i found the ends of the chassis legs were way too far apart and so need pulling in.

When comparing dimesions to my white dimma replic there was ~6cm difference in the distance between the chassis legs where the headlight panel attaches!!

IMG_1280v1.jpg

I've tried comparing dimensions to my white dimma replica which is definitely straight but even measurements between points that wouldn't have been affected by the previous impact don't tally up between the 2 cars. :S

So ideally what i'm looking for are dimensions to show the distance between struts, distance between chassis legs, diagonals etc

so if you have anything that might help that would be great :)

Edited by M@tt

MiniGibbo

Interesting stuff, I never realised jigging was so "simple" I always thought it would involve machines with lasers like the hunter wheel alignment machines..

• Like 2

M@tt

Well if the shell is proper twisted then yes it would need proper jigging but in my case its just a case that one of the legs hasnt been aligned properly so just needs a little manipulation Heath Robinson style

wracing

Pushing between the legs is going to cause the problem you describe. If you watch the some you tube videos when they are jigging a bent leg they will not pull/push against the good leg. you need to pull against the rest of the chassis somehow.

James

m@ttc

does this help?

post-14295-0-67577400-1350929761_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

welshpug

give that man a medal !

Tom Fenton

Top info, that is one to save to the hard drive.

m@ttc

its not very clear but the measurements from 0 (subframe mounting holes) are 746mm, 501mm, 296mm.

m@ttc

heres the restpost-14295-0-78912300-1350931834_thumb.jpg

m@ttc

got another but file to big to upload

welshpug

if its a picture file stick it on flickR or similar :)

cybernck

This forum is brilliant!

Let me know if you need help with the other file.

• Like 1

M@tt

Hero of the week award goes to Emmy Seize who sent me a scan of that and also M@ttc :)

Thanks chaps!

kyepan

make that a sticky!

cybernck

M@tt and m@ttc - are you two relatives? :lol:

m@ttc

not as far as i'm aware :lol:

M@tt

nice one!!

Paul(deathbringer929) has also sent me the Thatcham Method Manual for body shop repairs which has a load of useful info as well. It's 25mb pdf, i'll get it uploaded to my website and link to it this evening

Tesstuff

M@tt and m@ttc - are you two relatives? :lol:

cybernck and cybersex - are you two related?

• Like 1