• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swervygerdy

Fuel Pick Up - Webbers

swervygerdy

Just a quick question about the fuel pick up for a set of Webbers. I’ve managed to remove my old pump, so how do I separate the plastic body from the pump itself? Do I just wrestle it apart? I need the top part for the feed and return lines I take it and then run a piece of copper into the tank to pick up the fuel? I'm planing on using a facet pump to supply the fuel. Apologies for the crappy phone pic!

IMAG0754.jpg

Turbo7379

Easiest way to do this is to use the pickup from a non injection 205 or a diesel. It has the pickup & return pipes already there & you don't need to butcher your injection pump. I think you might need to change your tank as well as I think the diesel pickup is a different size to your injection pump. You should have no problem picking up a 205 diesel tank complete from a breakers.

If you do it this way you still have the option of swapping back to injection or selling your GTI fuel tank & pump. BTW I think you will need to use an external fuel pressure regulator with a facet/weber setup.

mikeyd

as above derv tank and pickup [petrol 1300 etc have smaller bore outlet ]

• Like 1

johniban

im also doing this to mine this weekend so i should be able to relate, im just going to modify the pump

johniban

Completed mine today, took about 45 mins, was an expensive ish way to me but i like it and it works!

3AF6E5EB-1A7D-4E2F-8C85-87097FAB0D9C_zps

AN-6 bulkhead 90degree fitting

johniban

not sure what all this using a diesel tank is about , mine is the standard gti tank and gti fuel filter housing, i just removed the pump and fitted torques fuel fittings

0FB6E3E5-B5E2-44A0-97D7-01A2867F8FF5_zps

C02CBEF1-AEF3-499F-BB78-0E6608157775_zps

6FCA06C7-52C5-44D8-9426-02A5CA62EFAB_zps

3CBC4BAA-E2D5-47EE-B3D3-91F3719CD22C_zps

welshpug

guess you have a short length of hose dangling down into the filter bit?

pip470

The above photo looks great but here is what i did. Not pretty but worked, puel pump was in engine bay and sucked all that way fine.

post-8104-0-84997200-1387666630_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-99799600-1387666676_thumb.jpg

johniban

guess you have a short length of hose dangling down into the filter bit?

Yeah, just about 3-4 inches of copper pipe, put kept the original gauze so it doesnt suck the crap up

johniban

Pip.. nicely done, can i ask, did the fuel pump run ok mounted in the engine bay? i thought they had to be within 18 inches of the tank

pip470

Yeah the pump was fine there, It was a concern at first but it worked and never had any problems.

Reebmit

You can use the standard injection pump and use a filter king set at 2.5 to 3 psi perfectly, very reliable and a neat installation :)

johniban

i wouldnt really want to have a high pressure pump limited right down to 4 psi i dont think the regulators are designed for that

Reebmit

Each to their own, obviously the ideal solution is to run a proper pump for carbs i.e Red Top etc... with a regulator as you guys are doing but I believe many other people have run the standard injection pump with this type of regulator with no problems, famous last words! after all these years it will probably bite me in the butt now and set fire to my car!!! :)

Reebmit

Another option if you are concerned is to use an adjustable turbo pressure regulator..

Sign in to follow this