• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SurGie

[car_restoration] Project Shades Of Grey, A Complete Overhaul Modifica

SurGie

Here are a few pictures of these areas once primered with the Jotun 87 again >

th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy144_zpsbbd39bf3.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy143_zpsd99c682e.jpg

Inside the seating area before painting, the tape was there for painting underneath >

th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy025_zpsb3c59030.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy020_zpsa050ea5b.jpg

th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy021_zpsfe05d48b.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy019_zps507277a4.jpg

Some pictures of the painted seat areas etc >

th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy229_zps4fa6d18e.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy239_zps7ef28f11.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy209_zpsda56030e.jpg

SurGie

th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy234_zps6810f722.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy140_zps4e3cf5c8.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy157_zpsc64bc1e9.jpg

George :)

Daviewonder

Ah it all makes sense now.

I read this in another topic-

Never heard of it, been a while since ive been to the movies or anywhere good, no cash no time due to shades of grey lol.

I assumed you'd turned a bit fruity and were reading the books :lol:

Looks like an awesome job you're doing there though George, looking forward to more updates :)

SurGie

Yep, got it in one mate ;)

I dont need to read those books, the GF read them all twice and tells me what they're all about in one sentence just about. The project title is more to do with the cars theme and colour 'etc'.

Thanks Dave, nice of you to say :)

I'll try to update it as soon as i can, the next update will be the rear beam area and boot.

GLPoomobile

Maybe you should have called it "50 shades of rust" ;)

• Like 2

SurGie

Not any more it aint ;)

SurGie

Just before last winter i fitted some insulation to the garage door, so at least the temp will stay nice and level for the paint to dry quicker >

th_205GTIprojectpics223_zps8b565d69.jpg

Here is the beam and boot floor area before the derusting had started >

th_BOLTSplatedbeamfloorarea018_zpsa627530a.jpg th_BOLTSplatedbeamfloorarea015_zpsb0aade31.jpg th_205GTIprojectpics041_zps9e553f00.jpg

Here is the original yellow Peugeot painted their beams with, although dirty you can see which type of yellow it is, not bright more burnt yellow/orange shade >

th_205GTIprojectpics038_zps28f5d590.jpg th_205GTIprojectpics048_zps3b74573e.jpg

More to follow :)

SurGie

A few inner boot pictures and re-welding >

th_PROJECTpicssilvercamera001_zpse25cbe20.jpg th_PROJECTpicssilvercamera003_zps34a13e7d.jpg

th_PROJECTpicssilvercamera008_zpsbedbfcff.jpg th_PROJECTpicssilvercamera010_zps4582c48c.jpg

th_PROJECTpicssilvercamera011_zps37f666b2.jpg th_PROJECTpicssilvercamera012_zps8af01b6f.jpg

Here's the pictures of the job after 3 or so weeks, compared to the front floor pan this was a lot harder to achieve the same sort of clean steel finish, took more than two more weeks as well >

th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy119_zps38715594.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy103_zpsb87546de.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy084_zps9f891949.jpg

SurGie

th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy036_zps97c201ef.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy044_zpsa411b171.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy065_zpsfb4a304e.jpg

There was still a little unmovable rust around but the Jotun 87 is designed to seal them in away from the air and water.

Below is one side, ie the worse side of the car's bump stop section. I wasn't sure whether to re-plate it due to the big rust caused hole or tap a new thread in. The original bolt had seized so it had to be drilled out. After the advice from Tom Fenton, i tapped it and it was successful, i was worried during because the captive nut inside was moving quite a bit, it might have broken free. I weld filled the hole then ground it back >

th_205GTIprojectpics117_zpsf0d6a490.jpg th_Beamareasweldingtankareas001_zps6d7d3343.jpg

All fitted with about 15mm taken off so the suspension an gain a little more movement >

th_PlatingpartsFLOORpangoodetc028_zps72cab363.jpg

allye

Please update this more often! (even though they are daily updates any how) Can't wait to see the rest of it come together!

• Like 1

SurGie

Here you go allye, just a quick one before im off to bed.

After all the grinding/cleaning etc, here are the results after 3 coats of the Jotun 87 was applied everywhere underneath, i do like the finish it gives, like stonechip but smoother using a roller. Spraying it would have filled the rust pits and look smooth due to it having a high solid content and low sag, however i find spraying makes it harder to reach every last bit, much easier with the roller for me. The boot had 2 coats as it wont get as much damage to its surface compared to the chassis.

th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy131_zps36591f0e.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy129_zps377f5717.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy128_zps223adfcc.jpg

The rear floor >

th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy167_zps285fd6a1.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy184_zps249a5ed3.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy183_zpsaf43c8d9.jpg

th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy203_zpsae8003c0.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy202_zps238531eb.jpg th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy198_zps88fdf6c7.jpg

Can anyone tell what's missing in this picture ?

th_GTI6EngineBayRear205FloorSteelNEpoxy191_zps9543574d.jpg

I'll post the answer, thanks for the comments and for looking through :)

• Like 1

Liquid_106

Can anyone tell what's missing in this picture ?

Rust? :P

Edited by Liquid_106
  • Like 3

SurGie

:lol: good answer, not right though :P

This section has been cut out, when done they weighed about 1kg with sealant on as well. I cant see any real reason for this extra section of the inner rear wing apart from it stopping dirt and water getting into the rear chassis section. So for this reason, ill be making myself some rear rubber/plastic mud guards bolted in to stop the rear wheels spraying dirty water into the areas. The rear arches have not been sorted, they are due to get sorted and coated at a later date as they are in a rust free condition.

th_PROJECTpicssilvercamera007_zps0d72eb82.jpg

At first, the reason for removal was for easier access into the rear bump stop straight line cavity sections, it was quite rusty and full of badly applied sealant. That part of it all was the most annoying section, so glad when it was finished.

:)

SurGie

Another quick update >

A cheeky photo of the engine bay before clear coat, pretty chuffed with the paint finish of the engine bay, pity the clear coat isn't as good >

th_SubFrameC5wheelspainted219_zpsa73b9394.jpg

Here after two coats of the truck bed liner 'Raptor' 2k paint, i rushed that part of the painting tbh >

th_Raptorfloorpainting032_zpsea7bb958.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the finished rear chassis floor after a few coats of base coat, some plated (electroless nickel) nuts and parts. Other brackets were sandblasted then painted in 2k epoxy primer with 2k silver/black paint as top coat >

th_PlatingpartsFLOORpangoodetc021_zpseafa6be1.jpg th_PlatingpartsFLOORpangoodetc013_zps8285ce2e.jpg th_PlatingpartsFLOORpangoodetc017_zps4ae4220e.jpg

th_PlatingpartsFLOORpangoodetc027_zps926c71b5.jpg th_PlatingpartsFLOORpangoodetc025_zps56aca55f.jpg

Boot floor, i'm just about to fit the hole blanks with Tiger seal >

th_paintedfloor002_zps7fe10767.jpg th_paintedfloor001_zps6267b095.jpg

The boot floor will have some Dynamat sound proofing, the Jotun 87 and Raptor both have sound proofing abilities, the Raptor especially.

I think next up will be the mechanicals, inc suspension / engine / detailing etc. Might be a few days though as i need a rest, computer does my eyes in :P

allye

Wear some glasses or something! Get those pictures up :)

• Like 1

SurGie

Its not just about the pictures though B)

I have to be on the computer to download the pictures, glasses are what im trying to avoid needing ;)

Photobucket is hard work, twice its messed up wiping the post redirecting the forum page etc. I'll try to get one done on Wednesday at some point.

Cheers :)

SurGie

Bit of an update, been a bit busy of late but managed to find some time today for this update >

Now all the engine bay, floor, rear chassis has all been sorted, here are a few pictures of the parts to be fitted etc. Here are the before and after pictures of the fuel tank >

Before >

th_6d106693.jpg

After a quick clean >

th_d4a82c7a.jpg

After another good clean then i applied some plasticare, please excuse the mother in laws old linen >

th_EngineHEATSHEILDFLOORetc022_zps1d590871.jpg th_EngineHEATSHEILDFLOORetc025_zpsfd7e2ec8.jpg

th_EngineHEATSHEILDFLOORetc024_zps3a8d4427.jpg th_EngineHEATSHEILDFLOORetc028_zps94e69f15.jpg th_EngineHEATSHEILDFLOORetc029_zps29583b33.jpg

Here is the front floor after the heat shield, fuel pipe fixings were fitted >

th_EngineHEATSHEILDFLOORetc031_zps64325da6.jpg

I got the front engine bay shield anodised, although i didnt get it super shiny beforehand, so it looks a bit dull like original i think. The floor shield in the picture has been cleaned etc but will get it super clean, shiny and polished before getting that anodised when i renew/treat the exhaust system in future plans.

• Like 2

SurGie

Update time my fellow Pug lovers :)

Up next is the front sub-frame. I wanted it to gain some more stiffness, so i attempted to stitch weld it. The first attempt was pretty poor, i didnt want to leave it that way so i put the effort in and re-stitch welded it and with the second attempt i gained much better weld penetration.

Here it is after a good clean, although not as clean as it should have been as the oil inside the spot welded edges made the welding more difficult, i recommend it to be fully stripped and cleaned before attempting to weld it >

th_cadbab90.jpg

Here is the poor weld attempt >

th_59098eb0.jpg

Here is the second attempt >

th_Extunnelsubframefinalweldpracweldsgud013_zps26a4fc5e.jpg th_Extunnelsubframefinalweldpracweldsgud011_zpsa97a1aff.jpg

The weld penetration >

th_Extunnelsubframefinalweldpracweldsgud019_zps9df20940.jpg

I then got the frame sandblasted then coated in car epoxy primer then epoxy top coat via a local painting place. I could have had it powder coated but what put me off this coating is the fact that powder coating although is an epoxy substance, it is only one layer. Painting it in many layers means that if there was a chip in the coating it still has other layers to protect from rust. Powder coating once chipped will start to rust and water then gets underneath causing more rust.

Coloured epoxy top coats do tend to chalk out after a few years in UV light losing its shininess, i found this out after the subframe was painted. I dont think mine will suffer from this chalking due to it being out of the UV light being in the engine bay.

Here are the final finished sub frame pictures >

th_3d96cf12.jpg th_7ef23737.jpg th_f3b7a9e3.jpg

The painters had left the frame in the oven to burn off any remaining oils and grease build up inbetween the seams.

SurGie

Update time :)

At first i had painted a lot of the brackets and fixing myself using the aluminium VHT paint. Although all these parts as others have now been painted using the 2k epoxy primer then 2k paint via my local painting place at a very good price >

th_6679a3fc.jpg

I have left the lower mount in the VHT paint, it may need some better primer and paint at a later date in future. The lower part of the wing mount has been 2k painted as they do tend to rust underneath >

th_e6dfca59.jpg

I have the whole BBM engine mount set as part of this conversion.

Here i welded some new bolts for the strut tops, i had drilled the strut tops 10mm as i will be fitting some fancy top mounts that use 8mm bolts, once i get these coilovers very soon http://www.kamracing...-coilovers.html.

th_619bac81.jpg th_ad422854.jpg th_39ed6a9f.jpg

I read that superglue could be used to the same effect, although superglue isn't as super as it says, it will end up breaking down, then i would have trouble trying to undue the top nuts when i change to the above coilovers, so welded them up.

Here is the pedal box again in the VHT paint, these were done at the beginning of this project before i knew that there are more superior paints out there >

th_fc07ca32.jpg th_4fdc9be3.jpg th_3d434364.jpg

SurGie

I bought a new recon steering rack and went to the forums recommended Shenpar place, they fitted a new Quaife quick steering rack and used the new reconditioned one for the seal and rack arms etc, the old arms were very bad looking. What im told from Paul13 is its a bit hard to use but after all this work on the car and my job im sure my wrists can cope :D . Then once this job was sorted i painted the rack here >

th_1d1f9559.jpg th_24799330.jpg

Here is the servo, i wanted a really good finish so had to respray it twice again due to a few mishaps. The last most annoying bit was when i was fitting the clutch cable and somehow it retracted and swung over and hit it with the end which chipped a bit off :angry: . The arms of the rack had been VHT painted but since then its been zinc primed with red enamel top coat, no pictures of this though >

th_ebc03634.jpg th_7eae9fb3.jpg

The master cylinder is the bigger 406 variant to cope with the VTS brakes front and rear, this was painted in the VHT at first but once the engine was fitted it had scratched it off a bit, so now its been epoxy primed with the usual 2k top coat silver/aluminium colour.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The theme colour of my 205 GTI project is red, aluminium and a touch of gold colouring as well a few shades of other grey's from other car manufacturers, that will be shown in other updates.

More to come whilst i have the time too before my shift starts :)

Tom Fenton

On your top mount plates you should have removed the old stud weld bosses and then welded your new bolts directly to the plate. Would make a much neater job.

• Like 1

SurGie

Thanks Tom, i did rush that job a bit.

At the time i had used some pretty useless drill bits and it took ages, wish i had the cobalt drill bits back then as they are really good drills. These new welded bolts and strut top mounts are only a temporary measure till i get to buy the new coilovers and adjustable top mounts from BBM around the beginning of next year time. When they got fitted to the cars strut they look pretty straight even though one or so i think is a bit wonky before fitting.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here is the new engine loom from Miles, ive added some amalgamating electrical tape etc to tidy it up a bit, also more pics of the servo etc >

th_205newpartsforprojectthreadcompensatorsnickelplated001_zpseba4b141.jpg

Here is the rear water bottle with some plasticare after a good clean >

th_PlatedBoltsand14mileticket005_zps555a3570.jpg

Another cheeky picture of the engine bay >

th_SubFrameC5wheelspainted197_zpsce20e64b.jpg

SurGie

Here i found another picture of the steering rack >

th_PaintbracketsRackAltbracketfixingRodbushGearbox029.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>

Up next are the VTS brakes, the before and after pictures.

When i bought them as part of the engine conversion package they had been painted but not very well, the paint was layered on, i had trouble fitting the pads. So for this reason i decided to get them painted in the 2k epoxy then 2k red paint, i did originally just wanted them as was.

Before trying to fit pads >

th_Brakepads004.jpg th_Brakepads002.jpg

I searched for quite a while for a particular shade of red i wanted, then before i gave up i managed to find this >

th_Brakecaliper.jpg

Its called 'Colorado red' which comes in 2k as well as other types. I find its a deep, crisp, rich red, thats far from being close to pink or too dark thats close to burgundy.

Here are the calipers once painted >

th_CambeltfinBrakeCalipersREDBAYExhaustNEW042_zpsd6197e51.jpg th_CambeltfinBrakeCalipersREDBAYExhaustNEW041_zps1f15c1ed.jpg

They have also had some 2k high build primer, so the castings look really smooth like the more expensive sort of calipers. The rear parts of the calipers have had the same treatment but are not in the pictures.

Here are the calipers with the pads fitted >

th_CalipersDAY003_zps8c22127d.jpg th_CalipersDAY002_zps9312f08b.jpg

These front calipers although are hardly used (this will be explained at a later date), i fitted some new seals and put some silicone grease in the sliders. This red colour shade has also been used for the front 309 ARB, of which will post pictures at a later date. The same colouring will be used on the new thicker new torsion bars etc.

The caliper pictures of red wont look the same as the GT500 picture of red due to the light etc.

I do want an air fad mask so i can do all the 2k painting myself but funds for this and another compressor will have to wait.

I know most like to see high spec mechanical work etc but what do you think of my efforts so far ?

Cheers George :)

cybernck

Hat's off for your efforts, keep up the good work (and updates)! B)

• Like 1

SurGie

Thanks a lot cybernck, as its a little quiet on the forum tonight and ive been let down by friends on plans to go out ill make another update on the same day :)

Here are a few pictures of the parts fitted to the engine bay before the engine gets fitted, sorry about the first picture, it went a bit funny >

th_EngineINNEnginebayfinishedoffCraneengineBRAKESFIN00954.jpg th_EngineINNEnginebayfinishedoffCraneengineBRAKESFIN01233.jpg

th_EngineINNEnginebayfinishedoffCraneengineBRAKESFIN010-1.jpg th_EngineINNEnginebayfinishedoffCraneengineBRAKESFIN01155.jpg

I did all the plumbing after the engine was fitted, it was a bit more difficult but its just the way it went. I even managed with difficulty, to spray under the windscreen area. Before the engine was fitted, i had a new windscreen fitted with the original blue strip tinted. Although i never put any silicone grease around the screens frame for water protection yet due to plans for a total respray next year at some point, i dont want any possible paint side effects if i did it at this point.

With the British weather we always seem to get, the chance of using this car when it isn't going to rain is near on impossible, i will be using it in the summer/winter apart from really bad weather. So i hope the effort ive put in into research of paints ive used will stop the rust coming back any time soon. I have 3 sets of wheels/alloys for this project, one set will be for winter driving where the temperature is quite low and can cope with the ice and a little snow.

Here is the link to my other forum thread all about the plating nuts, bolts, washers, & many other bits for this project/beam/ engine bay detailing etc >

http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=138958

The very few bolts i didnt get plated like the battery tray will be coated using the clear wax from Bilt Hamber. Plating parts had to be done in sections, as i would never know what a lot of them are meant to be used for.

Ive probably been a bit anal with this project but i want something that will last and look well presented. It wasn't the plan i had in mind at first, but once on the slippery slop i just could not stop, and boy does my wallet show this :lol:

More interesting updates coming soon ;)