• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ryan13961345402285

Timing Mechanism Help

ryan13961345402285

Hi all,

was driving to work yesterday and I heard a rattling noise then a whine from the timing belt area.

Checked it out and a bolt had shot out from inside the casing and was lodged in the casing. I was very very lucky because it only rubbed the inside of the belt (slightly shredded) and thankfully didnt destroy anything. New belt will be put on asap, infact I just removed the top cover. Never done an Mi16 belt before and I'm not looking forward to it

My question is does anyone know where this bolt is from? It is very like the bolts that are used for screwing on the rocker cover. I've attached a pic

On another note, is there any handy way of removing that damned outer timing belt cover? I removed the driver side engine mount, but I had to use a pry-bar to get the belt cover manoeuvered out.

B1ack_Mi16

I think that might be a bolt that bolts the inner cover to the head.

welshpug

yup, looks like it :)

ryan13961345402285

Cheers guys. Yeah just checked servicebox for that part number and then searched online for an actual picture of the part number, and yeah its the same bolt.

On the plus side, I just fitted the 3 pins for the timing and they all line up perfectly, so no slipped teeth on the belt or anything

ryan13961345402285

Ok need a bit of help. I've got both tensioners at their slackest point, but I can't for the life of me get the belt to go over the pullies. Any tips appreciated

B1ack_Mi16
Ok need a bit of help. I've got both tensioners at their slackest point, but I can't for the life of me get the belt to go over the pullies. Any tips appreciated

Is the new belt the same length as the old one?

It shall come on quite easy when both tensioners are slack...

ryan13961345402285

Yep, exactly the same as the old belt. Its a Gates 5206, 133 teeth, and I've comapred the length to the old one and its the same.

Must be something amiss, because any belt I've ever done in the past has went on relatively easy.

I'm feeding it over the 2 cam pullies, then right side tensioner, bottom pulley, water pump then it just doesn't want to go over the final tensioner.

Absolute pig of a job to do in-situ

B1ack_Mi16
Yep, exactly the same as the old belt. Its a Gates 5206, 133 teeth, and I've comapred the length to the old one and its the same.

Must be something amiss, because any belt I've ever done in the past has went on relatively easy.

I'm feeding it over the 2 cam pullies, then right side tensioner, bottom pulley, water pump then it just doesn't want to go over the final tensioner.

Absolute pig of a job to do in-situ

I think I used to take it over the front cam-pulley as the last stage, tried that?

JeffR

Try nipping up the tensioner bolts in the fully slackened position first. With the offset pivot, they have a tendency to drop down under their own weight making it harder to fit the belt.

ryan13961345402285

Yeah, have both nipped up at their slackest position and still no luck. Got a friend coming over tonight to have a look. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes is called for

JeffR

I suppose if all else fails you could take the front tensioner off altogether then fit the belt.

ryan13961345402285

Finally got the belt on. Had to resort to putting it on over the exhaust cam pulley last. To tension I set the front tensioner to almost max, and the rear one then to suit. Along the longest run i got around 45 degrees of a twist with moderate pressure. Turned the engine 4 complete revolutions and the timing pins went straight in again, so i guess the timing is spot on. Only concern is a slight whine from the belt which means I've tensioned it slightly too tight (the whine isn't too bad)

petert1345402284

Exhaust pulley last is normal. I try to slip it over both inlet and exhaust more or less at the same time. If it's whining, just back off the exhaust tensioner a bee's d*ck. Did you do the tensioners up counter-clockwise? If not, this is often a rookie error that leads to disaster.

ryan13961345402285

Yeah cheers, both tensioners done anti-clockwise

Sign in to follow this