• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

[car_restoration] 405 T16 Restoration

B1ack_Mi16

Didn't get any effect on twist motion so maybe the 406 one has more wires? I might need to look closer into that.

Managed to mount the fans on stainless steel brackets. The plastic strips that came with the fans were totally crap.

IMG_20160229_233305_zpsrntikz1i.jpg

jackherer

You need some flexibility in the fan mounts or they'll distort and bind up as the rad expands and you'll wonder why your fans work when you bench test them but your car always overheats!

B1ack_Mi16

Didn't torque up the nuts much, and think holes are about 8-10mm and the studs 6mm.

I'm more sceptical to how little they actually seem to flow. Anyone know the wattage of the orginal fans?

welshpug

200 or 300w x2!

DCC had exactly the problem Kieran mentioned, when his Radtec/BBM radiator got to working temperature the fan seized up, tested cold it worked fine.

B1ack_Mi16

No wonder then. Only 80 watts these ones...

B1ack_Mi16

Some small progress on this one also.

Got the high pressure piping for the PAS spliced.

IMG_20160402_221314_zpsu3nqwvwm.jpg

And more interior in place

IMG_20160407_193617_zps2hi75slo.jpg

Rear seats in

IMG_20160407_193742_zpss5xobf6r.jpg

Mounted the AN quick couplers to the fuel lines, in addition to shorten the throttle wire to the right length. Need to get a wire-stopper on the throttlebody end now.

IMG_20160414_205115_zpsfd3s0f2r.jpg

Also mocked up a piece of pipe to be used for crankcase ventilation, need to get it TIG'ed.

IMG_20160414_205311_zpsrrj65uey.jpg

johniban

ive got a similar fan on mine, looks the same, iv only got one though, made my own standalone loom with relay to the standard fan switch in the rad, it blows flat out when it comes on but does the job fine

B1ack_Mi16

ive got a similar fan on mine, looks the same, iv only got one though, made my own standalone loom with relay to the standard fan switch in the rad, it blows flat out when it comes on but does the job fine

Yes hopefully it will, can't really wait to try it and give it a test drive :) However still some things to do before that, even though it's starting to look quite complete now :)

B1ack_Mi16

Now it's closing in more and more.

Did fill it up with fluids for gearbox, transferbox and steering oil.

Also filled engine oil.

Filled coolant and found a leak that was sorted out.

I also needed to change the starter motor, as the one I had mounted was drawing more than 250A and only cranking at 140rpm, so something must have been faulty with it.

Put a new one on (in this movie), and now it spins much faster, and "only" draws 150A!

http://s428.photobucket.com/user/B1ackMi16/media/405T16/20161204_225156_zpsnq6zdkme.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Fuel was filled and fuel system tested, some leaks were addressed there too, but now it is leak-free smile.png

So now next thing is to set up the trigger data in the MS3 Pro ecu, and see if it is possible to get it to fire up!

• Like 1

Andy

Hugely impressive piece of work. Well done

Andy

unariciflocos

Your update has ginven me the motivation to plow on with my EW10J4S conversion. Was up till 4 am with Autodata trimming wires out of the original loom :D.

B1ack_Mi16

Sometimes one need some motivation. I hope the wiring is OK now for the MS3 Pro. At least it does spark and inject fuel, just need to get it to start now :)

But busy times with 2 kids and christmas coming ahead.

B1ack_Mi16

Sorting out a couple of small water leaks in my mig welded stainless coolant pipes, yet to get pressure in the cooling system. Hopefully after re-welding two tiny leaks, it is hope that it is leak free.

B1ack_Mi16

The car is getting close to completion. Engine starts fine and I've driven it in/out of the garage a couple of times now.

It really need a good polish, but first I'm waiting for a guy going to come to glue the front windscreen in. I'm not doing it myself as it might be easy to get glue everywhere on the roof lining and on the dash.

Small video of car running:

http://vid428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/B1ackMi16/405T16/20170425_112639_zpsdu3gqren.mp4

Windscreen unboxed

20170426_111348_zpsm359jhbv.jpg

Put into place

20170426_114719_zpst5hl5geo.jpg

Mounted front bumper and grille etc.

20170430_192215_zpsojj0li7v.jpg

20170430_192239_zpsb4sglvwy.jpg

Just missing some chrome inserts in the front bumper now, but bumper don't sit 100% perfectly due to an interference issue with the oil cooler, so I won't fit the strips until I know the bumper sits fine (in case I would ahve to source another one).

Looking back to year 2000 when I was 18 years, I drove around in this Mi16, it is kinda nostalgic.

13_zpsrowscyk0.jpg

• Like 2

petert

Very impressive. Well done.

B1ack_Mi16

Thanks, it's been some long 8 years in the making. Finally I can "rest" a bit. :)

wicked

Nice job!! Looks briljant!!

Must be very rewarding to drive it again.. (my 205 rebuilt took about the same time)

Time to enjoy it on the nice roads in your country!!

• Like 1

JeffR

A fantastic result. Ride height appears slightly lower than standard and looks perfect. Red really suits these cars too.

Whats the small hole in the front skirt rhs for?

B1ack_Mi16

Thanks guys.

The small hole used to be for engine and coupe electric heating elements, well. at least for the electric connector for those mentioned.

Maybe I'll put it back, couldn't be arsed to remove the hole. :)

DBG

Love it mate. They're still a fantastic looking car.

imaS

Gorgeous. One of the best colours for 405. I just cannot think more better appearance for 405 than this fresh P3KB red. I am honestly jealeous. :wub:

B1ack_Mi16

Sadly all the pics are gone .. and I can't spend time on changing hte post... family life...

Anyway it is getting mapped better and better, still very conservative on boost though, 12 deg ignition and 10.5 AFR on boost still.. so much more to come I think.

It is boosting slower than necessary now I believe due to 0.5 bar wastegate spring that probably mean it starts to bleed a bit already at 0.3-0.4 bar.

In addition the WG is far to small, so I'm in the progress of mounting a 38mm external Tial wastegate now.

Here is a video from driving, you can see as boost increases the car starts to accelerate better and better...

At 6200rpm there is 1.4 bar boost. So from 5000-6000 it actually starts to shift, even though it gets far too much fuel and still running safe ignition.

https://youtu.be/PrONPPCXZ9c

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

welshpug

i can see all the pics fine.