• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

[car_restoration] 405 T16 Restoration

welshpug

my mum's 405 has some rust on it now but nothing this extensive, its over 300k miles and is a diesel estate.

B1ack_Mi16

Yeah, it's quite impressive really all this rust, but I've seen it on more 405's now, but often it's hidden behind the thick factory underseal.

Got some new strut tops for the new coilovers..

CIMG2558.jpg

Orginal paint seem quite bad so I have sprayed them with the Owatrol oil now and will let them dry for 1 week before I apply a nice thick layer of black 2 pac paint..

Have also been cutting some more, it will be interesting to see how this will look when finished.

CIMG2554.jpg

Also found even more rust under the underseal...

CIMG2556.jpg

Got the grit blaster and cleaned up the crap at front chassileg.

From this:

CIMG2549.jpg

To this:

CIMG2557.jpg

Sadly still too many hours work left on the body :( Doesn't feel like it's much progress at all.

B1ack_Mi16

Rear brake upgrade test one.

This is Audi RS4 rear brake pad brackets. Fits bolt on but requires about 315mm diameter discs. 22mm wide ones..

CIMG2560.jpg

Might be a bit too much, but I think the A8 does have some 280x20 discs so a carrier from those brakes could be tested with some 283x22mm peugeot discs to see if that will fit.

B1ack_Mi16

There.. some small progress again..

Got some of the bigger suspension parts sandblasted at some company down town.

CIMG2561.jpg

CIMG2562.jpg

CIMG2563.jpg

Looks ok, but sadly they applied primer to everything. My plan was to get the subframes acid dipped after the blasting and then hot dip galvanized... well.. now that plan is off and I'll just use them like they are now. Will add some black paint to them after some coats of Owatrol :)

Started to paint some of the smaller parts, I'm out of black paint now so started using white.. will add a second layer of black when I get some more..

CIMG2564.jpg

CIMG2565.jpg

CIMG2566.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Small update.

Stripped and cleaned the S16 head which really seemed to be in much better overall condition than the T16 one, so I will just swap the exhaust valves over from the T16 one.

CIMG2567.jpg

Valvegear cleaned and dried.

CIMG2572.jpg

However it looks quite silly compared to the nice valvetrain I used in the 2.3 Mi16 :P

CIMG0360.jpg

Hopefully I can get the gearbox dismantled tomorrow now as I got that nut undone :)

KRISKARRERA

Amazed you can still get those boot floor beams. That's gonna be a real beast when it's finished.

ryan13961345402285

Fantastic job you're doing on that car. I intend to do a similar job on mine someday (ie total stripdown and rebuild)

Incidentally, if you're looking for a very good primer try this:

http://www.nwepaints.co.uk/acatalog/Galvafroid%20Data.PDF

I havent found better. I used that on parts of my car that had surface rust on them about 4 years ago, and they're still perfect

B1ack_Mi16

Thanks for your comments guys :)

Need some feedback during such a project, motivation goes up and down when it's so much to do.

About the primer I'm almost finished by now with all the prepwork. I've chosen to go down the Owatrol penetrating oil route.

Applying some layers of that, drying 4-5 days between each layer. Then adding 2k polyurethane paint on top of that. Then some bodyshuts in areas where needed.

Reason I don't use zink this time is that I had bad experience of that on the 205 I restored quite a few years ago.

The zink didn't sit so good to the metal, so I tried something different now, will be interesting to see if it works ok. :)

Fantastic job you're doing on that car. I intend to do a similar job on mine someday (ie total stripdown and rebuild)

Incidentally, if you're looking for a very good primer try this:

http://www.nwepaints.co.uk/acatalog/Galvafroid%20Data.PDF

I havent found better. I used that on parts of my car that had surface rust on them about 4 years ago, and they're still perfect

B1ack_Mi16

Is this syncro hub worn, or is it supposed to look like this? :)

CIMG2573.jpg

Gearbox parts

CIMG2574.jpg

And how my living room table looks like now :)

CIMG2575.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Not much progress lately.

Have just cleaned the gearbox properly and painted it.

IMAG0010.jpg

And started building a "plastic wrap" around the car as I have found out I really need to sandblast some of the rust, and the sand will get everywhere if I don't have the plastic there :)

IMAG0016.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Small update.

Some of the rear chassi parts that I have cut off during rust treatment work.

Left them in winegar for 1 month and today I gave them a easy blast with the sandblaster. The winegar really removes the rust, especially good for removing the pitting rust that often can't be removed by just grit blasting.

CIMG2641.jpg

Rear arms and 306 gti inlet which I think I'll be using on the engine.

CIMG2642.jpg

The underside of boot floor starts to look quite ok now, but still remaining some rust removing on the lower part. Looking so forward to one day be over with the rear part of the car... then just the strut towers that need some more work and then shell should be more or less ok.

CIMG2644.jpg

CIMG2646.jpg

CIMG2645.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Finally think I'm done sandblasting under the boot-floor :)

IMAG0052.jpg

But found more rust at the front of the car, at the rear front subframe mounts.

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

Really nasty car.

And started cutting out some new parts.

IMAG0060.jpg

Also started to take a look at where to position the 4 extra injectors in the inlet.

IMAG0055.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Started making some new steel plates today that will be welded in hopefully sooner than later :)

IMAG0063.jpg

After that I painted the subframes and some other small stuff :)

Good to see things get nice and black.

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Now I have managed to get hold of a 4x4 fuel tank which I have stored safely in my fathers garage :)

Orginal fueltank were scrapped earlier as Ronny was planning to make this car into a pure track-car...

Today I was at my enginebuilders place picking up the crankshaft and the engine block.

Crank was measured and given a slight polish, found to be in exceptional good condition :)

CIMG2679.jpg

The block was bored to suit the pistons and now I need to grind the gaps on the piston-rings next..

CIMG2682.jpg

CIMG2680.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Some more welding, started reconstructing the inner rear sill today.

IMAG0236.jpg

Also added some extra metal on it around the jacking area so it won't bend so easily. This is in addition to the "thick" plate that's there as standard which is not yet welded on :)

IMAG0235.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Some small progress.

Started to make up the inner part of the sill.

IMAG0274.jpg

Test mounting

IMAG0273.jpg

At least good to see that the rest of the inside of the sill seem to be completely free for rust.

IMAG0271.jpg

Also welded back on the rear beam front mounting point

IMAG0268.jpg

And started reconstructing the first bits of the rear member

IMAG0262.jpg

Also did some paiting, need to learn before I'll paint the whole T16.. :)

Painted some old Mi16 wheels, I'll get some new winter tyres for them soon now.

Also modifying the centre caps to take the new chromed 407 lion :)

IMAG0266.jpg

Finished wheels

IMAG0277.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

That's all for now.. not much progress, but little by little :)

B1ack_Mi16

Started welding up the rear sill internals today, just missing one part now before I can weld on the external sill part :)

IMAG0288.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

Also started sanding down one set of T16 rims now that I'll paint in the same silver as the Mi16 ones I just painted :) Nice to have clean and freshly painted rims in stock :)

B1ack_Mi16

Continued today with the sill internals. It's now done and lower part of sill is also in place.

Now I just need to make a new outer-skin plate and weld that up.. will be nice to have it done :)

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Now I've more or less got the last outer parts ready for welding in.

Had to chop my part in two pieces to be able to get it to the correct shape, I hope it'll be quite ok when finished.

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0322.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Rear sill finished

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0332.jpg

Not the best finish, but at least I'm confident the repair is of good structural integrity :)

Under the side skirt anyway :)

Sanded some more on T16 wheels, they had a terrible paint job and a lot of small dings in them..

Will be quite a bit nicer when finished.

IMAG0330.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Rear member is now welded up. Even attached the bump stop base again.

IMAG0337.jpg

IMAG0340.jpg

Next is to get the bootfloor stiffners welded in.

B1ack_Mi16

Got one of the boot-floor members welded in some days ago.

IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0381.jpg

But now the air compressor is down. Building a new one with the old 200l tank but some days till it's up and running I guess. Can't weld anything without having the air to blow owatrol oil into all small spaces just after welding is done.. everything to try to keep the rust away :)

IMAG0392.jpg

Finally got my gearbox bearings today btw, only one groove in the outer one on the output shaft here too, but I don't really believe the second groove is of any importance after looking at the gearbox internals.

Also got the rear beam bearings and seals, however did not get the plastic tubes inbetween the bearings.. anyone know if these are still possible to get? It seem like my dealer gave up...

CIMG2890.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

The Peugeot dealer had the plastic tubes in stock actually not expensive either so quite good.

However I was shocked when I found out they charge 25 euros for each of the seals. didn't buy of course as I already have them but it was a nasty price..

Anyway some more progress since last time.

Compressor and air-system in garage is upgraded now and I've also sorted out some leaks in the air-system that we've had for ages now..

IMAG0413.jpg

Tank from an old 50 litre compressor used as extra reservoir next to the sandblaster to ensure enough air to the blaster :)

IMAG0412.jpg

After that was done I started making more parts for T16.

One reinforcement bracket for rear boot-member fabricated.

IMAG0409.jpg

IMAG0410.jpg

Next will be to weld it in place.. :)

B1ack_Mi16

Always handy with the blaster cabinet :)

Just welded on the bracket I made last week.

IMAG0422.jpg

Now it's time to start on the upper member I guess.

B1ack_Mi16

Also recieved a parcel today from Germany :)

CIMG2892.jpg

CIMG2893.jpg

Found a set of new Xantia rear suspension cylinders quite cheap on eBay so just had to get them.

Hope the slightly bigger tap sticking out on the side is not going to make it a problem to use them, anyone got experience of using the Xantia ones?

My existing T16 ones have quite deep pitting corrosion so not sure they would last so much longer before they'll start leaking.