• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris adams

205 Quick Rack Into 405 Sterring Housing

calvinhorse

I work for him you mean! Yeah its brilliant lots of pug 306 race car parts floating about! Theirs not alot martin doesn't know about making pugs go faster!

What was you doin in bakewell? Should have come for a nosey!

rodionski

No progress with the matter, so it's slowly dying.

chris adams

been really busy helpin me family get the extension sorted as g dad aint very well, me mums horse had to be put down so this was last thing on me mind will give em a call now

Edited by mi8 turbo

chris adams

well basically the guy cant give me any more info as he wants a sample to see if in deed the can produce the quick rack so we need to send them a sample for them to acess and if they can fabricate one they will be able to tell me if the left hand version is the same and if so i we could order so many left and so many right handed.

rodionski

ok, well then - does anyone have a spare rack laying around? i do, but shipping it out of Ukraine would be too expensive.

chris adams

iwas thinkin of sending mine in as my build is far from complete, but if theres any one closer with a spare then feel free.

rodionski

hey what about asking quaife regarding the straigh-cut gear sets for BE1/3?

I know they make such sets for MA box (pug 106/205), but not for BE1/3 for some reason.

chris adams

i guess it would be the same sort of procedure as the rack needing a minimum order. my main aim is to get the tranny sorted first so the gears are not at top of my list yet

Edited by mi8 turbo

rodionski

correct, but the price would be of interest as there are other companies making straight-cut sets for BE1/3 for circa 2100 pounds.

chris adams

well ill give em a ring and ask about them when i get round to sending off the rack. watch this space. lol. so how many are of intrest up 2 now ? me 4 1

chris adams

the only thing about sending mine in is that it has a square drive. i will be wanting it as spline as it will fit up to the mi uj are the splines the same throughout the various models ie 205 306 so on or are there different profiles?

Edited by mi8 turbo

chris adams
hey what about asking quaife regarding the straigh-cut gear sets for BE1/3?

I know they make such sets for MA box (pug 106/205), but not for BE1/3 for some reason.

isnt 205 be 1/ be 3

rodionski
the only thing about sending mine in is that it has a square drive. i will be wanting it as spline as it will fit up to the mi uj are the splines the same throughout the various models ie 205 306 so on or are there different profiles?

that's a good question.

afaik the 205 had both spline and square drive.

whereas the mi16 were all with power steering and apparently had a spline drive. am i wrong?

calvinhorse

you can get them alot cheaper aswell

chris adams

i think you u r ryt as my mi iz spline and the 405 manual rack i bought is square drive

chris adams

obvioulsy it doesnt work as a match as i was after a spine drive for the conversion or a square drive uj. dont 4get my build is in the eary stages so im buying things for the start 2 finish project. with all upgrades in mind.

Edited by mi8 turbo

calvinhorse

you cut your steering colum and fit it in line, its like a gearbox that alters the steering ratio. 1.5 turns to one turn so would make 405 steering 2.6 turns lock to lock.

they are very poular in the states due to all american cars have a silly amount of tturns lock to lock

chris adams

i seem to interviened between some posts

chris adams

ryt just to clarify is everybody going to be using the manual rack as that is what im using or are people thinkin about using the standard pas rack ?

Edited by mi8 turbo

rodionski

There's no point in using a manual rack so quick as to 2.6 turns - you will never be able to turn it when parking, you'll break your arms)))

That is exactly why the manual rack has over 4 turns.

What we should pursue is a quick rack for PAS, e.g. the spline drive one.

As regards the little gismo for quicker steering - that's an interesting idea in fact. the ratio is changed but not as a "true" ratio, as a quasi change instead.

calvinhorse

i sort of get what your talking about, can you explain "quasi change" i looked it up but couldn't understand how it was related?

just read this kind of off putting to be honest... "the steering feels un natural"

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthr...er-on-GTI/page2

think ill forget i mentioned the quickener....

Edited by pony

Sign in to follow this