• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris adams

205 Quick Rack Into 405 Sterring Housing

chris adams

well give quafe a ring 2day 2 ask about using the 205 quick rack kit in the 405 steering housing. AND its a no go . so that puts that issue to rest.

calvinhorse

also citroen xsara rack is not even close to fitting! possible but a large amount of work

Edited by pony

rodionski

What about switching the internals between the 405 rack and the citroen one?

calvinhorse

The rack was on loan from a friend so didn't fancy taking it to bits! I have a mi rack that i will split to look at, xsara is basically a 205 rack

rodionski
also citroen xsara rack is not even close to fitting! possible but a large amount of work

more details on fitting problems please?

i trust that the distance between the rack arms should be the same, given the same engine/gearbox/driveshafts/hubs. or is it not?

calvinhorse

the xsara rack mounts withe two horizontal bolts, 405 uses 2 vertical bolts which puts the power stearing piston in the wrong place and the coloum joint in the wrong place!

its possible but im sure there is an easier solution........

rodionski
the xsara rack mounts withe two horizontal bolts, 405 uses 2 vertical bolts which puts the power stearing piston in the wrong place and the coloum joint in the wrong place!

its possible but im sure there is an easier solution........

So far i tend to see NO solution at all.

Is it not possible to make custom mounts to fit that rack on the 405 subframe?

calvinhorse

yes but you would have to shorten the coloum and re spline the end.....

i think the 405 rack needs re engineering..

rodionski

given the rack steel and hardening as well as precision, let alone the pinion to fit - i don't think it's realistic to make one.

AlexN

I've had a xsara rack fitted to my track car by Colin Satchell, however it was a lot of work. I have got a custom steering column so the lower joint wasn't an issue, but the whole rack needed mounting on a set of custom brackets on the sub-frame. The rack had to be raised slightly to clear the transfer box (I guess this would not be too much of a problem on a 2wd car) but none of it is straight forward! For me it was worth it though as not much on my car is left as standard!

Edited by AlexN

calvinhorse

given the rack steel and hardening as well as precision, let alone the pinion to fit - i don't think it's realistic to make one.

http://www.d-com.org/index.php my bosses are incredible engineers and they make alot of products out of titanium so i'll try and word them up! :lol:

rodionski

Then please keep all of us informed - it would be worth discussing a group buy if that quick rack becomes reality.

calvinhorse

i will certainly be looking into it, im busy with another project at the minute but its high on my list for the 405

chris adams

the quick rack is a very real possobility jst got of the phone to quaife again and a minimum order of 20 is needed for them 2 produce a batch and they would be the same price as the 205 kit £117 maybe they could reduce the turning ratio to 2.5 or less ? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !

Edited by mi8 turbo

rodionski

2.4 is the least ratio which is reasonable at all. i personally would vouch for 2.5.

The quicker the rack, the more difficult and dangerous the car will behave at high speed. The 'zero' position will also be reduced respectively.

rodionski

It is not beneficial imho to go for ultra quick ratio, or else the car will be just too nervous in handling.

rodionski

What price quote did Quaife have for this order of 20?

Also, do they make straight-cut gear sets for the BE gearbox? Does anyone know or could anyone ask them? Seen helical sets, but interested in straight cut ones (plus dog-type selection, yeeess) :)

calvinhorse
the quick rack is a very real possobility jst got of the phone to quaife again and a minimum order of 20 is needed for them 2 produce a batch and they would be the same price as the 205 kit £117 maybe they could reduce the turning ratio to 2.5 or less ? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !

thats a bargain put me down for one if your starting a group buy, i can only think of 3 people who will want them on this forum!

rodionski

That's probably a price without VAT. So about 20% on top for UK buyers.

Please put me down for that rack as well. May also have at least two people who will buy the rack.

rodionski

One cruicial question.

Is the 20 minimum order for RHD rack ONLY?

Since I will need a LHD rack as well as all my fellows wishing a quick 405 rack!

calvinhorse

bummer thats 20s out the question then!

rodionski

Well, it's worth asking Quaife about that. They might be able to make the LHD ones as well. AFAIK it will only take the machining of an opposite part of the rack for it to be LHD. The pinion will be the same, the machining will also be the same.

rodionski

I would even buy two for that matter, one for the spare rack i have.

welshpug

http://www.d-com.org/index.php my bosses are incredible engineers and they make alot of products out of titanium so i'll try and word them up! :lol:

ahh you work with Martin? I was only in Bakewell last week and drove past the Firth Rixson site a few times!

calvinhorse

I work for him you mean! Yeah its brilliant lots of pug 306 race car parts floating about! Theirs not alot martin doesn't know about making pugs go faster!

What was you doin in bakewell? Should have come for a nosey!

Sign in to follow this