• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

JeffR

[trackday_prep] 405 Mi16 Track Car

petert

I may need to slow the alternator if running to those revs especially as my EHPS needs the charge signal from it to run the pump.

Does anyone make a larger pulley? I'd prefer not to fit a smaller crank pulley as the engine has been balanced using the factory one.

http://www.ase-supply.com/category_s/183.htm

http://www.wosperformance.co.uk/products/alternators/pulleys/

JeffR

Thanks Peter-handy info there.

I dug out my spare Mitsubishi alternator & the pulley diameter is 63mm, measured on the ribs (approx 66mm on the front & rear shoulders).

Since a standard engine revs to approx 7300 without issue & if its necessary spin this one to 8250rpm, that's a 13% increase. If I increase the pulley diameter by that amount (would need one about 71mm), the alternator should be back within its designed working parameters.
Sound right, or am I off track with my calcs?

JeffR

Well the dyno day had to be rescheduled to 8th August due to finding 3 leaks in the fuel tank.
Having sent the tank up to a plastics 'expert' in Sydney to be cut down & baffled, I was crapped off to find this out the day before it was to be tuned. Bloody hell, you would expect him to check it for leaks before sending it back to me!
Anyway, I found someone here in Melbourne who could do the job properly & while I waited.

http://plasticrepair.com.au

Stay tuned....

petert

My tank leaks now too. I wonder if it's the same guy?

JeffR

Robbo's in Sydney did mine.

Jury's still out as to whether it's a worthwhile modification. I'll need to do some track days to see if 40 litres of fuel applying lateral loads against the welded in end panels holds up. If not, it'll be a fuel cell in the boot.

Adrian W

Mine has been there for ten years and not leaked.

JeffR

Mine has been there for ten years and not leaked.

Ten years! Mine lasted 10 minutes!

Adrian W

Hopefully it is ok now

JeffR

Finally had the car tuned & apart from a few electrical gremlins we got what I reckon was a pretty good result.
It made a frag under 129Kw at the wheels @ 7800rpm (172hp) & made more power everywhere compared to the last tune on hydraulic buckets. I've overlayed the 2 results showing the differences.

Mi16DynoApr09Aug2013_zps66378152.jpg

DynoResult882013_zpsfac21461.jpg

As power had peaked at those revs & with my concerns about the ARP bolt torque discrepancy, see-(http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=151841), I saw no reason to push the limit any higher.
Now I can fit the Brembo's, bigger wheels & AO50R's & do a midweek shakedown at Calder in the next few weeks.

petert

Nice work Jeff. And does it sound nice? I'll get mine off the PC next time I'm at Haltech for comparison. Could you please refresh me on what valve springs and lifters you used?

JeffR

Sounds pretty good even over the roar of cooling & exhaust fans in the dyno room! Pity I didn't have my camera handy.

Valve springs were CatCams, buckets were Arrow CF147K16.

JeffR

Update time-

Swapped over the front brakes to the Brembo's & had some new (shorter) brake pipe extensions made from the braided lines to the caliper body. I'd read that bleeding Brembo's was a difficult task but found they were quite easy as long as you bled the inner pistons first and started on the passenger side first. A handy tip is to put Glad Wrap under the reservoir cap before undoing any of the hydraulic lines to prevent fluid leaking out everywhere.

DSCF0952_zps25e2e74d.jpg

I splashed out on some 205/50x16 AO50 'M' compound tyres but when I went to fit them, the sidewalls were rubbing on the lower spring pans. I finished up going back to my 7" x 400 lb springs & had some new longer helpers made which enabled me to wind up the spring pans above the tyre and still have spring tension for when the suspension was unloaded.

I reset the alignment & managed to get 1.3 degrees neg camber from the CompBrake top mounts, 2 mm of toe out & an increase in caster as a starting point with the front end.

Next was 8 litres of Motul 300V 15W-50.

DSCF0954_zps33cfc020.jpg

I managed to pick up a CAMS approved action camera mount for the roll cage as well as an Astak 7500 camera since I thought the GoPro's were overpriced.

DSCF0950_zps3eb7a292.jpg

ASTK0002_zpse861e7b1.jpg

I was advised not to bother with Bob Jane's Calder Park for a shakedown as the track is in a bad state, so it'll be a 3 hour drive up the Hume Hwy to Winton for a 'Test & Tune' next Friday 27th.

DSCF0944_zpse1eeaaf9.jpg

DSCF0949_zpsc78414b7.jpg

Edited by JeffR

petert

Update Jeff? Does it go?

We did Wakefield yesterday. The new diff is sensational. I did a 1.12.4 just scrubbing in new tyres. Then the crank sensor died and that was the end of the day. Hopefully enough for a class win however.

JeffR

I took the car up to Winton late last month for its first shakedown. Was really pleased with how it handled, turned & braked. First time with a proper race seat which made a huge difference in getting the feel of what the car was doing underneath me through the 'seat of the pants'. The Astra EHPS gives good feedback though the wheel too. Accumulator worked well but I think I'll need to put a less restrictive mesh cover over the front mounted oil cooler as the temp was quite high for only a 22 degrees day.

The electrical issues we had on the dyno were still present so I wasn't able to really evaluate the engine performance although it seemed to pull really well even taking into account I've been off the track for 3 years. It was a long day (500km round trip) for 40 mins on the track!

The car is presently back at Chasers Motorworks getting a proper Motec engine loom custom made for it. This time the engine sensors & ignition looms will be totally separate, so no chance of any interference. Hopefully I'll get it back later this week.

I need to wrap the exhaust where it passes beneath the fuel tank as most of the heatshield bolts have vibrated out & disappeared (hope they didn't finish up puncturing someone's tyres). Also need to fit some bonnet pins & a weight distribution hitch system to the trailer as the arse of the Ford is too low.

Winton has more test & tune days on 1st, 15th & 22nd November, so I'll be back there & hopefully get a trouble free day where I can try a few suspension set up changes.

What diff have you got Peter? Tran-X, Kazz, Drexler?

Adrian W

He has a tran x

JeffR

Took the Mi16 back up to Winton today now that most of the issues I had last time were sorted. Namely, new engine loom, heatwrapped the exhaust were it passed under the fuel tank, less restrictive oil cooler stone guard.

Unfortunatley, I blew a heater coolant hose in the first session which ended the day prematurely. Think it's time to simplify the coolant system & do away with the heater all together.

Anyway I managed to get some footage of the session with my new action camera. Shame about the wind noise. I'll close the window next time!

JeffR

Yeah, too right! It was one of those situations where I needed the heater box fitted to hold up the dash, so then decided to make the heater a working one! Bad move.

JeffR

Thanks Mr T.

Since bursting a heater hose at the last Winton test day, I was able to find an alloy water inlet housing (Welshpug to the rescue) which was sent to PeterT to have one of the outlets plugged. I cleaned up the sealing face & cut a new gasket which I smeared in grease for a good water tight seal.

DSCF0974_zpsf567189a.jpg

Peter also removed the 2 pipes from the thermostat housing, drilled & tapped them & supplied a couple of 1/2" BSP bungs to blank them off. I used ThreeBond 1211 to seal them in place. A spray in alloy coloured bling made the housing look respectable.

DSCF0977_zpsdd2e8256.jpg

Much simpler & a lot neater.

I've also fitted a smaller 110mm crank pulley (thanks Miles) & Dayco 4PK0665 belt to slow down the alternator with the higher rpm limit.

Heading interstate to Wakefield Park on 1st Feb for its first serious outing in the CSCA Supersprint series. Fingers crossed for a trouble free day to make the 1400km round trip a success.

petert

Nice work. Get some stainless cap screws for a really pro look! Looking forward to doing battle on the 2nd.

JeffR

With another round of heatwave conditions & 40+ degree temps currently across southern Australia, I've decided to withdraw my entry for the sprint round at Wakefield Park next Saturday.

I was looking forward to finally getting it tracked in anger after a absence of 3 years but will have to wait until the weather is kinder on machinery (& me).

Peter, hopefully we can catch up later in the year.

petert

That's a bugger, but I fully understand. 40+ is too hot.