• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pavlony

Dwf D6c Swap

pavlony

Hello. Recently i bought d6c engine in very bad condition (blowned head gasket. water stayed in liners about year. liners are unusable. water was done her job exelent). I started collecting part for total rebuild, and some day i hope will be done. When it is completed I intend to replace my dfw with d6c.

My car use xxx.xxx.xxx.161 ECU (decated long time ago, lambda is still here)

Question is: will this ecu manage d6c as well xxx.xxx.xxx.354?

MiCRO
Hello. Recently i bought d6c engine in very bad condition (blowned head gasket. water stayed in liners about year. liners are unusable. water was done her job exelent). I started collecting part for total rebuild, and some day i hope will be done. When it is completed I intend to replace my dfw with d6c.

My car use xxx.xxx.xxx.161 ECU (decated long time ago, lambda is still here)

Question is: will this ecu manage d6c as well xxx.xxx.xxx.354?

Some say that later (DFW) ECU is better mapped than the older versions, but regard to the higher compression maybe you should remap the 161 ecu.

AFAIK there are not much differences between DFW and D6C except the higher compression (piston height), ecu and lambda/cat/knock sensor, so you could have easily upgrade DFW to D6C. So you can just use D6C pistons if they are in ok condition and buy new piston rings and place them in your DFW engine.

Can you please tell me if there were any gains in acceleration when you removed the cat?

pavlony

Thank you for answer.

About any gains after decating, i don`t know, because it`s done before i buy this car.

Maybe better throttle respond i supose.

Except pistons,another difference are cam pulleys.

Pistons are OK, removed from liners veeery slowly with the help of boiling water ( water again ha ha)

Because i have another more DFW engine (with broken alloy block) i have available #2,#3,#4 pulleys. Which one I will set I don`t know, depends of inlet cam I looking for.

I think I've found new liners for about 100€ goetze 14-634910-00. I hope it fits.

There is a chance to get the original ecu (3 row),but seller looking for a lot of money.

MiCRO
Thank you for answer.

Except pistons,another difference are cam pulleys.

I think I've found new liners for about 100€ goetze 14-634910-00. I hope it fits.

There is a chance to get the original ecu (3 row),but seller looking for a lot of money.

I didn't know about the pulleys, I'm not sure but I think there is also difference in the throttle body, actually in the way the butterflies open. DFW should open one at the time, and the D6C both at the same time.

Where did you find these liners? I'm also looking for alternative because OEM liners together with pistons and piston rings cost a fortune - around 2500 euros....

pavlony

Szakal metal in my city claims that liners perfect fit, I`m little suspicious. Never mind, when liners comes in store, i will inspect them, if is ok,I`l buy, if not, maybe I`l starting thinking about honing .

There is Szakal metal supplier in your country http://www.szakalmetal.eu/hr/Maticne_adrese.html

I wish you good luck.

MiCRO
Szakal metal in my city claims that liners perfect fit, I`m little suspicious. Never mind, when liners comes in store, i will inspect them, if is ok,I`l buy, if not, maybe I`l starting thinking about honing .

There is Szakal metal supplier in your country http://www.szakalmetal.eu/hr/Maticne_adrese.html

I wish you good luck.

Thanks, I'll look it up.

rodionski

The liners from any XU9 series engine will wit either the D6C or DFW.

The only difference between a Mi16 and nonMi16 liner are that the Mi16ones have a "wafer"-like outside reinforcement grid and the regular XU9 engines will have plain liners without the grid.

I have knowledge of D6C engines running on nonMi16 liners just fine.

Whereas the cost of the two - is worlds apart.

pavlony

Probably just because of better cooling. If it is due to wall reinforcement,diesel engine has a much higher CR.

rodionski

Well, actually i didn't mention the XUD series engine, only the XU9 series.

As regards the XUD9 engines, Iit would be interesting to find out which type liners they ised.

welshpug

no liners, full iron block same as the XU10.

cammmy

Same block as the XU10 or just fully iron like the XU10?

welshpug

not quite identical, but damn close.

B1ack_Mi16
enough close? need some machining?

Need custom engine mount for a XUD9 block at least because the diesel pump is bolted to the block where the petrol style engine mount is bolted to the XU10 engines.

Not the biggest problem, but need to concider it.

Just build the XU9 block and you'll have a nice engine, which is slightly lighter than a cast iron one anyway :)

pavlony

Liners have finally arrived, they fit perfectly. only 80 €.

post-705-13454033824_thumb.jpg

welshpug

should be 0.38 to 0.97mm.

Edited by WELSHPUG

MiCRO
Liners have finally arrived, they fit perfectly. only 80 €.

Hi, can you please tell me is that price for set or for each liner?

rodionski

These are not proper Mi16 liners) But they will work fine, too

MiCRO
Price is for set of 4 pieces.

That's really cheap then, have you put them in already? What are the impressions?

@rodionski: I'm also hoping they will, cause here in Croatia, Mi16 ones are 100euros+VAT EACH!

rodionski
Price is for set of 4 pieces.

That's really cheap then, have you put them in already? What are the impressions?

@rodionski: I'm also hoping they will, cause here in Croatia, Mi16 ones are 100euros+VAT EACH!

They work alright even in racing environment - 50k km is my engine runing time since rebuild.

You could save some money if you order Kolbenschmidt by part # - they are around $200 per set in Ukraine. The ribbed ones :)

pavlony

Finishing engine will have to wait. I now have major problems. I haven`t replaced rh driveshaft on the time (couldn`t find), and now my diff housing is broken.

Tomorrow i will see if there any more damage.

Sign in to follow this