• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ryan13961345402285

Radio Cover

ryan13961345402285

Has anyone attempted to reinstall one of these? I ripped mine off one night in a bit of a temper :wub: and broke all the lugs off it.

But looking at it I can't even think how the springs fit into the dash (still have the springs)

Anyone have any ideas? It looks a bit crap without the cover, plus it would keep any spides from eyeing up my nice shiny Alpine headunit

Mi16Lemans

I re-fitted mine on my old 4bie some years ago, I can't remember exactly what I done but it was a right pain in the ar#s...

The one in my car now has a very annoying habbit og closing when I pull away :angry: but in the centre consol cubby hole thing is a spring which looks like it might be one of them (is their 2.?) I was going to attempt to look at it tomorrow,,,,, along with umpteen other things on my ever growing to do list :rolleyes:

ryan13961345402285

There are 2 springs yes, and I've given up trying to get the damned things in place properly. Seriously fiddly

KRISKARRERA

Ditto.

****ing nightmare this. I've still not succeeded in getting it back in WITH springs attached.

petespug405mi16

in my l reg mi i managed to somehow pull he flap of one side managed o get the spring back in after a lot of swearing

ryan13961345402285

I think to do it right the dash would have to be stripped out. Anyone have a spare cover knocking about par chance? I'm determined not to let it beat me!

Feeble

I'm so glad that's one of the only parts I've not broken then! :P

Jer309GTi

I've taken my cover off as I thought that someone looking into the car might see the cover and think 'I wonder what that is hiding?' and break in to find out. But then again it's not unheard of for them to break in even if the front is off of the radio as so many people just leave it in the glovebox :rolleyes: I think the springs must have been broken as it just flopped down when you closed it and rattled about.

stuart.m

i did this on mine (dont know if the ph1 / ph2 are the same?) and it was horrible. took me like 3 hours to get it back in with the springs :P

if they are the same.... mine had only one spring, which went on the passengers side of the flap, its basically a coil with 2 'legs' - one of these is straight the other one with a bend in it. the bit with the bend in it hooks onto the flap itself, the straight one presses against something in the dash. crap explanation but its hard :D nightmare, but dont give up!

cybernck

on the other hand, i'm completely missing the cover and have got another

complete and functional radio+ashtray, but to replace the lot, it seems that

the whole center console with the armrest, handbrake and gearlever trim etc

has to come out?!

welshpug

doesnt have to come out, but doesn need the screws removing and moving the unit backwards (the handbraker lever is in the way and makes removasl difficult, simply moving it back is sufficient)

KRISKARRERA

the 405's headunit position is just plain bloody awful! Most headunit guides state that their headunit should not be mounted at an angle, that said I've never had any playback problems from the angle. But what's really silly is when then disc is ejected it's so close to the flip-up cover we're discussing here that it makes it very awkward to get a disc out. Funny really because al other Pugs I can think of have a better headunit position.

cybernck

welshpug> i've undone the two screws at the top, but the bottom part seems to be

clipped under the gearstick surrounding plastic? should i just pull harder then? :)

it's a Ph2 interior i'm talking about btw :).

welshpug

move the seats fully forward, there are 2 screws located at the side here, (and IIRC there are 2 under the felt part where the handbrake sits when its off, this part unclips to reveal mor scews) you should have enough movement to get at the lower 2 screws with these removed.

I will check my photobucket as I removed this when doing my heater matrix.

welshpug

here we go -

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

then you can lift the unit like this

PICT0013.jpg

which gives enough space to get at the 2 screws underneath and to remove the radio etc if needed.

cybernck

wow, excellent! pics paint thousand words. thanks, i'll give it a go soon! :D

Jer309GTi
Funny really because al other Pugs I can think of have a better headunit position.

Not 205's! Its practically on the floor :rolleyes:

estland1345402287

As my car never had the cover I finally bought it and it seems to be impossible to put the springs. Also what side do the springs go?

Edited by estland

Sign in to follow this