• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

BERTMAN

[Car_Upgrade] 205 Diesel

Lan

that's not how you roll is it? (numberplate in the windscreen) just shouts pull me! and is illegal which any anal officer will know.

nice work other than that, even if there seems to be a lot happening for just a run around!

BERTMAN

It initially got stuck in the window as we changed the bumper and didn't have any sticky stuff! You'd think you would get pulled but not a thing yet.

welshpug

liking the Xantia, can't kill that :P

BERTMAN

liking the Xantia, can't kill that :P

Can, and have :lol:. Found it in a field where it had stood for 2 years and it started up first turn of the key. Even the suspension worked! Still; parts of it will live on in the 205!

Edited by BERTMAN

welshpug

bastard! :(

:P

cybernck

Any updates on this? :)

BERTMAN

Yeah, there is an update!

Stripped the car down to rectify the rust issues on the front windscreen & also the massive leak that has emerged in the drivers side passenger foot well. I ended up getting a little carried away and ending up stripping the whole car down to sort out any rust I could find.

Front needs filing, and flatting, and I'm half way through the inside. The only real issue I've found is a 3" section of the boot that I've had to chop out.

20150308_102713_zpsfsnrsamp.jpg

20150308_102654_zpsaasvnyl8.jpg

20150308_155002_zpseqlmck06.jpg

BERTMAN

I got bored of doing bodywork before I finished it all and moved onto the more fun stuff...

Out with the old lump

20150404_124613_zpszdmjbmos.jpg

Then with the new engine:

- I retained the 205 alternator belt set up and tensioner

- Decided to keep the TMIC as I want this car running asap.

- Fitted a new vacuum pump

- Removed the old Lucas pump and housing

- Fitted the 205 rear water union on the backside of the block so I can just run the exact same 205 cooling system

- Removed the oil/water exchange

- swapped the clutch for a 405 Mi16 Pull type

Gearbox:

- Bought a 306HDi box for £5!

- Swapped the 205D differential into the 306 box with the 306 FD.

- Swapped the 205D gear selector arm on the HDI box

- and also swapped the speedo housing and gearing from the 205 box.

20150411_140508_zpslp2rnsh0.jpg

20150411_132059_zpszhv9pb9g.jpg

20150411_150330_zpsouius9b1.jpg

and then dropped it all in..

20150413_184150_zpsspjbbdii.jpg

BERTMAN

Today I thought I'd spend a little time on the fuel pump. The Xantia had a keypad immobiliser so that meant the removal of a small security block over the fuel stop solenoid.

- Removed the bracket that houses the plugs, and also the bracket on the opposite side.

- Remove as much of the plastic housing as possible with a hammer and screwdriver

- then hacksawed into the security pins to turn them into screws and unscrew them

20150414_190449_zpst5ah5xdy.jpg

20150414_185552_zpshmvvgqf6.jpg

Next on the list is give the thing a bit of a clean up. Find the switched live that goes to the black plug and wire it upto the stop solenoid.

I think the blue plug is for the EGR off the Xantia. So I'll be removing that as soon as I've confirmed it is unneeded!

BERTMAN

Not been able to get down to the unit too much this weekend. Alton Towers and then drinking got in the way. However I did manage to get the fuel pump in, alternator and cambelt all timed up.

95% wired up and new radiator in too. I've used a Nissens radiator that I had in my S16. So will have to find a new top hose and extend the radiator fan switch wiring also.

Think this may be f***ed:

20150419_140202_zpsgcgpzn6l.jpg

looks alot better!

20150419_163947_zpsrtpgvwut.jpg

I've also found that the bonnet doesn't fully shut, and I've not fitted the intercooler yet! So I'll be swapping the auto bonnet off of the S16 too.

front end built back up:

20150419_183230_zpsegckfmim.jpg

BERTMAN

It's been nearly a month since I updated this but things are progressing.

Intercooler is on, and everything is plumbed in and wired up with the exception of the heater matrix hoses! Which i'm struggling to find replacements for.

I've bought some second hand b4 billies with skip brown springs for the front and new-ish bearings for the front. I haven't looked at the rear yet so will base what I need depending on what the back ends like!

Replaced the inner CV gaiter on the N/S driveshaft and also made a start on the roof: Treated/cut out the rust, filled and smoothed in the damage caused by the corrosion.

20150502_173611_zpsugioqgji.jpg

Just need to flat back the rest of the roof and it'll be ready for a lick of paint!

Next on the cards is to find some matrix hoses, bolt up all the new front suspension & shafts stick some oil in it and see how it runs!

BERTMAN

Roof is now painted, it's a little thin in areas and the colour match ain't perfect but I'm quite happy at my first paint attempt with rattle cans!!

20150518_192524_zpsszvbfipe.jpg

20150519_193128_zpsf5n0ijjx.jpg

20150529_161823_zpsr758sa5z.jpg

20150529_161837_zps9pki5xko.jpg

Finally sourced some rear 1/4 window seals and also bought some 10mm sticky-back underlay foam so the new interior is on its way in also...

20150619_134351_zpsi8wqdiad.jpg

20150619_134336_zps63gpnb3e.jpg

20150619_142224_zpsxbb7b3fn.jpg

BERTMAN

Today I made a start on the suspension - now... a woman has been driving this car since it's last MOT (can you tell? :lol:)

- N/S spring snapped

- N/S damper leaking

- both droplinks f*****d

- both TRE's f*****d

- both lower arm b/j's f*****d

- N/S outer CV gaitor split (badly)

- both rear suspension mounts had split in half

- bearings had collapsed on the O/S/R

- 1 of the threads on each drum had disintegrated - I'm not sure how the wheel bolts have stayed in!

- buckled alloy

- and other little bits too... a good effort I'd say.

Anyway; went and replaced the whole lot on the front.

- retained the GTI subframe and ARB (bushes were ok)

- new ARB droplinks

- new lower arms

- new O/S drivehsaft

- replaced the gaitor on the N/S

- new TRE's

- b4 bilstein dampers with skip brown springs and top mounts

The shocks mounted up fine, however the droplink tabs fouled badly on the brake lines. So I've ground them off and intend on remounting them out of the way.

on the back I've replaced the rear suspension mounts with some solid mounts I had knocking about and stripped the brakes down.

- ordered some new brake drums and bearings.

20150710_150343_zpsxlj6zq9u.jpg

20150710_150337_zpsrsy1yrps.jpg

20150710_154508_zpssaztnh0z.jpg

BERTMAN

Most of the new interior is in the car now.. looking alot nicer in there as I think the grey and black goes alot better with the exterior!

20150717_164645_zps8rjiw3ds.jpg

20150717_164716_zpsewgprmos.jpg

Next for the interior is fitting electric windows/central locking and the new door cards also.

Also got a phase 2 steering wheel and the centre console to fit.

Stripped the back end down too, cleaned up some pretty groggy looking brake lines with some wire brushes and sandpaper.

Thinking I might replace the rear shocks whilst I'm back here as they look... OLD!

Half the torsion bar nuts and bolts are rusted to buggery so the plan is to raise the back end using the old '1-click' method for now. I have a spare GTI axle so I might fix that up as a side project and fit that at a later date.

20150717_164601_zps9dshcdde.jpg

20150717_164621_zps9sogdu8p.jpg

20150717_164610_zpsn6cgbsbo.jpg​‹

BERTMAN

Changed my mind and ripped that axle off and chucked it in the scrap pile... along with the brake lines and the brakes: here's why...

20150725_120712_zpspmnftmgq.jpg

20150725_125548_zpsfqxlgsvz.jpg

So instead of touching that crap. I pulled my ~10,000 mile (freshly rebuilt about 4 years ago and hardly used) axle out of storage.

- 1900 axle (t/bs and arb)

- group A mounts

- even managed to find some decent callipers and pads to go on the back too.

20150725_125531_zpsvntgmk3p.jpg

20150725_125709_zpsucdgbnk8.jpg

20150725_125719_zpshsv84l2p.jpg

20150725_140128_zpsgpg1hdbl.jpg

I've also got hold of some b4 rear dampers and fitted new brakes lines from the front bulkhead back.

Also found some 1900GTi front brake callipers in my garage so they have been bunged on.

Next: fit the exhaust and odds and sods.

calvinhorse

Cool project dude, always enjoy the updates!

S@m

This has got me shopping for a donor Xantia, oh dear.

Anyway, i'm watching with interest, keep up the good work. :)

omega

daily driver plans gone out the window then!!! :D :D

you doing great work but I cant help thinking you only doing half the job eg you swapped the beam but didn't tackle the rust while it was off/ not having a go but It would be easy to do it while the beam was off

BERTMAN

daily driver plans gone out the window then!!! :D :D

you doing great work but I cant help thinking you only doing half the job eg you swapped the beam but didn't tackle the rust while it was off/ not having a go but It would be easy to do it while the beam was off

I know tell me about it!

Yeah... i hate doing that job... there's nothing easy about it and it takes f***ing ages! swapping the axle only took a couple of hours :\.

Plus its in reasonably good nick under there :D

stevietuck

Love what your doing with this, I bought a 1.8 d a few weeks ago and have very similar plans, is the engine swap relatively straight forward?

Cheers steve.

BERTMAN

I have still been working on this. Got it on its wheels for the first time with all of its new suspension. Brakes all bled up and new windscreen in!

isit me or is fitting the windscreen a massive ballache of a job? My first attempt and it took ages!

Tomorrow shall consist of welding up the boot, fixing the bonnet hinge and fitting the exhaust and then I'm hoping to take it for a little spin!! :D

Love what your doing with this, I bought a 1.8 d a few weeks ago and have very similar plans, is the engine swap relatively straight forward?

Cheers steve.

Yeah, its pretty straight forward, its essentially the same engine with a turbo on it.

Tom Fenton

isit me or is fitting the windscreen a massive ballache of a job? My first attempt and it took ages!

It must be you, I find them easy, how did you do it? I have some paracord which is about 6mm diameter and smooth, but strong. Feed it round the rubber, drop the screen in, pull the rope round, done.

BERTMAN

It must be you, I find them easy, how did you do it? I have some paracord which is about 6mm diameter and smooth, but strong. Feed it round the rubber, drop the screen in, pull the rope round, done.

Used the same method but with some string doubled over. Hated every second of it and I get to do it again because...

whilst welding the bonnet hinge back in place abit of spatter cracked the new screen!! :angry::lol: fml.

Anyway... had chance to play with the car again this weekend and managed to get her running.... like a bag of spanners but its a start. Took it for its first run round the farm too :D

stevietuck

Hey mate, when you swap to the gti front subframe do you have to change anything with the gear linkage?

Cheers steve.

welshpug

not with an XUD.