• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

BERTMAN

[Car_Upgrade] 205 Diesel

BERTMAN

Well, I've just bought another 205. This time a Miami blue 1996 on a 'P' plate diesel non turbo. This makes it one of the last 205's to be sold in Britain! The reason why I have bought this is as I thought I would take my GT off the road at Christmas and give it the bit of TLC it needs, and that this would do the job of cheap run around until it returns. Also my sister needs a car and this will do as a temporary measure.

I bought this car cheap as it needs a new clutch, and has been sat for 6 months therefore also needing a battery....luckily i had a spare battery and the new clutch came with the car. Fitted the new battery and it started first turn of the key, almost on the first starter rotation! Hoping the clutch change tomorrow goes as smoothly.

The car itself seems reasonably straight with the odd dent and scratch. The paintwork is fairly terrible on the roof but other than that seems reasonable. Even comes with a CD player and with what I think are 106 GTi alloys. The thing that i don't like so far is rust around the windscreen surround which i've not seen before with 205's. Think ill have to sort that out sooner than later.

Anyway plans are:

New clutch

Oil Change

GTi valances

and I think ill also throw in an old XS interior that's taking up room in the shed!

then hopefully it'll be back to business for the old girl!

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0253.jpg

Edited by BERTMAN
  • Like 1

dcc

Wow, a P reg! looks clean and tidy though

dave richards

does look tidy chap

Tom Fenton

Looks tidy, but if you want my advice then just use it for what it is, e.g. do the clutch and any service stuff then leave it alone, its smat enough to knock about in with a set of alloys on, so don't let it suck your time and money away from the car you have bought this diesel in order to take off the road for some work. This is speaking from experience as I've done it myself in the past.

BERTMAN

Looks tidy, but if you want my advice then just use it for what it is, e.g. do the clutch and any service stuff then leave it alone, its smat enough to knock about in with a set of alloys on, so don't let it suck your time and money away from the car you have bought this diesel in order to take off the road for some work. This is speaking from experience as I've done it myself in the past.

Yeah I completely agree with you, and that is hopefully the plan! However I also from past experiences know that I am completely unable to leave a car alone haha. Luckily i have loads of spares i don't need so won't cost me any money. The only thing i will do however is put a GTi front subframe, wishbones and ARB as i HATE the base model ARB set up through the wishbones. The bushes always fail early and you can never find decent replacements.

calvinhorse

Yeah I completely agree with you, and that is hopefully the plan! However I also from past experiences know that I am completely unable to leave a car alone haha. Luckily i have loads of spares i don't need so won't cost me any money. The only thing i will do however is put a GTi front subframe, wishbones and ARB as i HATE the base model ARB set up through the wishbones. The bushes always fail early and you can never find decent replacements.

Don't listen to Tom, he told me to leave my White 205 alone! Hes

Tom Fenton

Don't listen to Tom, he told me to leave my White 205 alone! Hes completely f***ing right!!

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Haha! Tom take your flat cap and slippers elsewhere this is a young mans topic :P

Tom Fenton

Exhibit A

jazzcars.jpg

Exhibit B

306-0.jpg

Been there and done it!

BERTMAN

pah, mine is 6 years newer. Completely different :lol:

Edited by BERTMAN

Tom Fenton

Those pictures are about 8 years old....!

calvinhorse

You turned a 205 into a 306? Wtf?

• Like 3

BERTMAN

You turned a 205 into a 306? Wtf?

Impressive

Strictly_Derv

Drop in a 1.9 DT with a bigger blower and gov modded pump should see the car right :P

• Like 1

BERTMAN

Drop in a 1.9 DT with a bigger blower and gov modded pump should see the car right :P

I think this is the inevitable outcome for this car. Using your project thread for inspiration actually! :) But for now it's remaining NA!

Well the car has been in use and has so far been nice and reliable, and cheap to run! Everything is not perfect however; there is a knackered CV joint knocking at the front, rust creeping along the top of the windscreen, and too much of a whiff of pug O.E standardness about the car :lol:.

IMAG0304.jpg

I really need to deal with this soon whilst its still solid! But first up is the disgusting interior that needs replacing with GTi stuff! I used the front door cards and centre console from a phase 1.5 gti, and the rear cards from my old XS. Sprayed them up black, and gave the plastics a going over with some black plasticare.

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0290.jpg

I think they ended up looking quite good actually, much better than I was expecting!

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

I then moved onto the seats and carpet and found a little patch of rust above the fuel tank. A little poking later and we have a pleasant little hole to view the ground out of. Also found a dent that looks like someone may have misplaced a jack but apart from that (and the windscreen) its looking pretty clean.

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0307.jpg

I'll have this hole welded up by tomorrow, which will leave me time to deal with the next little problem. The floor was soaked! all of the underlay had to be thrown away and the water was mopped up. Going to have to do some delving into what might be causing the problem before I can put the rest of the interior in so this is how Im using the car for the next few days

IMAG0309.jpg

Kezzer30

Another thing learnt didnt realise there even was a p reg 205 hahaha

BERTMAN

Yeah they sold them upto 1996/7. This one was registered on the 1st August 1996 so just scrapes a P plate!

BERTMAN

I cut out all the rust and had a plate welded in, then sprayed over with some rust protection. I had a slight problem trying to source 205 underlay that wasn't either soaking wet or just knackered. I even tried some newer cars but open air scrap yards and interior parts don't go to well together in my experience. So, I popped down to a local carpet supplier, had a chat with the owner and walked out £12 lighter with a load of underlay. It's roughly the same thickness (maybe slightly thicker) than the old stuff that came out, and looks to be of a similar kind of material but dosent have the bitumen-y backing of the original underlay.

Terrible quality pictures I know; the only downside of HTC ownership IMO, I'll gget some better ones up soon. Underlay during trimming...

IMAG0314.jpg

I actually covered more area in the end than the original underlay covered in the hope that it would make it a more pleasurable place to sit... and it seems to have worked as its even dampened out the odd rattle!

The obligatory GTi red carpet shot:

IMAG0315.jpg

and finished off with a set of very good condition seats removed about 7 years ago from my XS:

IMAG0316.jpg

Anthony

Another thing learnt didnt realise there even was a p reg 205 hahaha

Youngest I've seen is a 205 Forever on an R-plate in the Reading area

I do agree with Tom though - if this is just to be a runaround, then fix what needs to be fixed and leave it as-is, concentrating your time and effort on the car that you actually want to keep long term. Otherwise, you'll plough all your time and money into this, and your other car will just sit there untouched and inevitably end up staying off the road far longer than it otherwise would have.

BERTMAN

Youngest I've seen is a 205 Forever on an R-plate in the Reading area

I do agree with Tom though - if this is just to be a runaround, then fix what needs to be fixed and leave it as-is, concentrating your time and effort on the car that you actually want to keep long term. Otherwise, you'll plough all your time and money into this, and your other car will just sit there untouched and inevitably end up staying off the road far longer than it otherwise would have.

The modifications to this car won't cost me hardly anything, even turbo lumps are cheap as chips; I have far too much 205 stuff lying around that I don't need so it'll go on this. My S16 is a daily driver at the minute and my other one is a long term so I don't mind spending abit of time on this.

I don't think i've even heard of a 205 forever, was that a run out 'special' or something? Akin to Renault 5/Clio Campus etc.

Edited by BERTMAN

dirtdog

Any pictures of your repair to the under rear seat / above fuel tank rust hole? The state of the windscreen if mental! Nice car otherwise though..don't seen many on P

BERTMAN

Been a while since i've been able to get near this car as someone is always using it! Here's a picture of the repair. The crap all over the place isn't rust by the way! Just dirt and general crap; next move is sort that windscreen frame out!

IMAG0326.jpg

BERTMAN

Well the other week I was trawling through a scrap yard as you do and stumbled across a 306 DT that was lingering on the outskirts. Had a word with the owner and 10 minutes later I had a donor car!

IMAG0391_zps92350fa3.jpg​

Other than needing a clutch and a vacuum pump it's ready to drop into the 205! The rest of the car will be broken for spares to get my other 306 through it's MOT, parts for my other project and the rest can be sold off to reduce the deficit!

I've also got some new(ish) door seals to go on, and bought some butyl tape to hopefully get rid of the leaks which have left me with a half stripped car for the past month or so!

BERTMAN

Before I put the DT engine in I wanted to upgrade the suspension and brakes, plus make the thing look a bit better.

So on went a new front bumper and GTi valance (in graphite grey :/), some headlight protectors and some 1600 GTi wheels. I've got a new rear bumper/GTi rear valance to go on soon too.

IMAG0452_zps63ddf644.jpg

Then onto the suspension. I've removed the knackered base model subframe/ARB/wishbone set up (I hate that set up) and have put on a GTi subframe/wishbones/ARB. I've also put on some GTi dampers with some cheap lowering springs on to the front. I've got a GTi rear ARB, torsion bars, and dampers too go on as well, and i'll lower the back to match. Until then though it's the dragster look.

IMAG0486_zps8cbda6c4.jpg

I've also picked up this old girl for beer money:

IMAG0445_zps6f4bd5e8.jpg

Bosch fuel pump, with fuel lines and injectors to suit, front mounted intercooler, inlet manifold and associated pipework etc. Thought I might aswell try and get it to fit under the 205 bonnet for a nice OEM feel. Might be tight though after seeing the size of the intercooler! If not, I can sell it on at an easy profit so all is well :D

Didn't all go nicely though! When removing the N/S/F wheel I was faced with some nicely cross threaded wheel bolt threads and 4 knackered wheel bolts. Not entirely sure how that's happened but the hub, and bolts have been replaced. Also the headlight protectors have both been cracked/broken and a chunk of the O/S indicator is missing. Looks like possible damage from a stone or something.

IMAG0480_zpsa4545969.jpg

IMAG0481_zpsb469b831.jpg

Not too fussed about the damage to the protectors as I thought they made the car look abit goofy, but I did quite like the little Peugeot emblem and stripes on the headlights. So might try and find a way of getting some stickers or something made up for them.

and the complimentary random shots:

IMAG0476_zps6d3a79c7.jpg

IMAG0482_zpsc5241d5e.jpg

IMAG0485_zps1a7fa117.jpg

IMAG0491_zpsd1774402.jpg

BERTMAN

Not done an awful lot to this but I have got round to sorting the rear end out! Not much fun messing around with a beam that has never been apart before but I got there in the end.

20130706_202857_zps10bc716b.jpg

20130706_202932_zps3900d74a.jpg