• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Artemide

205 Wiring Conversion For Mi16

Artemide

Hi,

I have a 91" 1.9 GTI and I removed the original engine because it was crap. Probably drove only 1000miles without any problems. Anyway i´m installing a 1.9 MI16. I had the mi16 engine 2 years ago on another 205 and everything worked great until a shortage occured somewhere and the engine bay went on fire. Managed to prevent the car from burning down but pretty much all of the wiring under the bonnet were cooked. Back then I used the 405 original wiring for the conversion and it was easy. Meanwhile the burnt car stood by a workshop somewhere and all the wires were cut out and stolen, shortened inlet manifold togehter with many other important details were stolen as well ( all for melting probably).

Now however I have have finally managed to piece out everything and now have a complete mi16 engine set. But since I no longer have a 405 wiring harness and these things aren´t cheap and easy to find, I have decided to convert the 205 original 1.9 gti wiring into a working conversion harness. Luckily I still have the mi16 ECU and the connector to the ecu (lenght a few feet), and on this car the interior wiring is still intact.

The question is: Has anyone converted the original 205 wiring harness to match the mi16 engine and are there some guidelines perhaps? If I´d recieve some help the car could be runnin in a week or two :)

Edited by Artemide
  • Like 1

welshpug

afaik an 8 valve motronic loom can be used with a few wires added.

Carbs4me

im glad i seen this! because i was told i was able to use my 1.9 8v loom to run the Mi16 with some wires taken out! But im doing a carb conversion... is there any diffrents?

And how do you know if you have a motronic loom?

Artemide

afaik an 8 valve motronic loom can be used with a few wires added.

Whaaa?

cybernck

Yes, basically you just have to wire in the idle valve, as the rest is quite similar, between XU9JAZ and XU9J4Z at least.

You have a Motronic loom if you've got a CAT model GTI.

welshpug

Not always, there are Jetronic cat cars.

Carbs4me

So i have a non-CAT version.... F REG to be exact.

I was given the spacer plate to run the 1.9 8v dizzy.

i have a set of bike carbs.

What do i need to complete the conversion? do i need a Mi16 Ecu and loom or can i just plug and play?

numbum

i've done a few converstions now. i put twin 40's on my mi with the dizzy adapter and an 8 v loom they work fine but i had to change the fuel pump to a facet type as the carbs only run a few psi of fuel pressure apart from that it pretty simple you just need to get rid of the stuff that not used after that but keep the ign coil amp etc for the spark .

If i remeber correct the motronic is usually a 35 pin ecu using all 5 afm pins and the jetronics usually a 25 pin ecu using only 4 pins from the afm to the ecu and also using the tachometric [fuelpump] relay in the car rather than a separate injection relay and fuelpump relay like on motronics hope this helps

Artemide

I´ve run into a wall here. i´ve managed to find 3 different ecu´s but i´m not sure which one is for which car. Can anybody tell me the part nr and number of pins of the 405 mi16 please :).

numbum

Mi16 4.1 motronic 35 pin plug with 2 row this seems to be the most common early type for the alloy block mi 16 the ecu no 0261 200 119

............. 125

................ 139 these are some i have used your not far wrong with these.

there are some later types i think there'll be for the steel block as more sensors are used one number i found is 0261 200 355 but this is a

3 row plug at the ecu :blink:

Artemide

Ok, I´ve found my mi16 ecu and it´s a Jetronic, though my 205 wiring is motronic. Is this an issue?

cybernck

Jetronic Mi16? Are you sure?

petert

As suggested, if you have a Motronic 205, then it's easier to add the wires required than fit a different loom. I've done this several times now. The differences are:

idle stepper motor: this needs two wires. One is +12V which can be sourced from the injector supply junction close by. The other wire goes to pin 4 of the 3 row ECU.

knock sensor: this needs a shielded wire. One side to pin 30, the other to pin 11. I can't recall which is shielded without looking at a loom.

The easiest solution is to strip these wires out of an Mi16 loom, carefully removing the pins from the connector, so they can be re-inserted into the 205 connector. I have posted wiring diagrams on here previously. Let me know if you can't find it or need any more help.

Artemide

Here´s all my ECU´s and one of them is for the mi16, but which one?

image__2_.jpeg

image__3_.jpeg

image__1_.jpeg

image.jpeg

welshpug

not the last one :lol: you should be using the 161 ecu, the others are 8 valve ecu;s.

309 GTi 8 Valve 1.9 litre 88-91 Bosch Motronic 1.3 0 261 200 162

405 Mi16 16 Valve 1.9 litre 88-92 Bosch Motronic 1.3 0 261 200 161

405 SRi 1.9 litre 88-93 Bosch Motronic 1.3 0 261 200 160

Artemide

I've stumbled upon another issue. It seems my mi16 airflow meter has also disappeared, so could the mi16 engine run with the gti's original airflow meter?

welshpug

if your gti was motronic, yes, as they are the same part, if it was jetronic then no.

Artemide

not the last one :lol: you should be using the 161 ecu, the others are 8 valve ecu;s.

309 GTi 8 Valve 1.9 litre 88-91 Bosch Motronic 1.3 0 261 200 162

405 Mi16 16 Valve 1.9 litre 88-92 Bosch Motronic 1.3 0 261 200 161

405 SRi 1.9 litre 88-93 Bosch Motronic 1.3 0 261 200 160

Funny thing is that 3 of these ECU´s came from gti, which ran and only one from a mi16. How is this possibru? And i´m guessing the jetronic ecu´s were used on the older gtis?

Edited by Artemide

cybernck

205 GTI 1.9 came in Jetronic and Motronic variants - maybe that's what's been getting you confused? :)

Artemide

Sorry for letting this thread get a bit too much a conversion topic, but I´m so close now that there is no backing up. I really need your help on this one guys!

One problem are a few hoses:

Firstly, where exactly can be 1,2,3,4,5,6 connected?

Secondly, does the hose next to 6 under the oil filter connect to 7?

Thirdly, what is this thin plastic hose 8? It runs straight under the car and i´d guess to the fuel tank. currently in the bonnet section it´s not connected to anywhere.

And for fourth but not least, what is this 9 called in english? And is this the same part as on GTI? And should it be in stock mounted under the inlet manifold?

1%2520ja%25202.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

M@tt

hopefully these 2 diagrams should answer most of your questions

8 is the front screen washer jet pipe

9 is the ignition coil

post-3557-0-32352100-1334058846_thumb.jpg

post-3557-0-91123400-1334059008_thumb.jpg

Edited by M@tt

Artemide

I don´t know what i´ve done wrong, but I still can´t get the puzzle together. I´ve managed to connect most of the hoses, but even after proceccing M@tt´s photos, still some questions remain.

Firstly, as much as iv´e done research, I think i´ve got it right, that 1. and 2. aren´t really neceserry and I can block them:

1%2520ja%25202.jpg

Secondly, are my connections done correctly and where must I connect 1 and 2?

minu%2520vollad.jpg

More pictures of 1(4) and 2(5)

5.jpg4.jpg

I really really need your help guys, there´s no moving on otherwise.

luggy

Going from the photos 1 and 2 are coolant circulation pipes for the throttle body to stop it icing up in extreme cold weather dependant on how cold the winters are in Estonia. No need to block them if your not going to utilise them.

4. Connect the pipe to the coolant header tank, The brass bolt is to bleed the thermostat housing.

If you are going to connect the throttle body coolant pipes, connect 4 to 1 or 2, doesn't matter which one, then connect the other to the coolant header tank.

From the drawing the pipe from header tank shouldn't be connect to the heater matrix it should connect to 2, so coolant header tank to 2

1 should connect to the to the heater matrix

:)

Artemide

Thanks ALOT luggy, I will look into that soon, need to diagest it a little to understand.

BUT, I really need a complete electrical scheme for my engine, what my Haynes doesn´t have. Heres the only code on my engine:1CW2X 000150:

mootori%2520kood.JPG

cybernck

That's the serial number :).

The code will be on the other plate.