• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

[car_upgrade] My Graphite Grey 1.6 > Gti6 Rebuild Project

matty_gti

I was trying to put doing the underneath of the car off for as long as possile but I knew I couldn't put a nice and shiny beam on when it's dirty and rusty. My weapons of choice...

DSCN2857.jpg

First thing was just a general going over.

DSCN2875.jpg

DSCN2876.jpg

I then invested in some 'Deox' products being the gel and the rust converter. Well worth the money I say :). The gel really works well, the only bit I was not happy about was then spraying it all of with a hose but it really did work!.

DSCN2890.jpg

I went over with the gel about 3 times and then moved onto the rust converter.

DSCN2985.jpg

DSCN2987.jpg

DSCN2996.jpg

Edited by matty_gti

matty_gti

After that and I was happy with the results I could then move onto the primer. I used Upol and Halfords etch primer for this using Upol first.

DSCN3001.jpg

DSCN3007.jpg

DSCN3005.jpg

DSCN3015.jpg

DSCN3025.jpg

The most amount of rust and dirt build up was around the full tank but was all sorted with only surface rust.

DSCN3016.jpg

Next up, black stone chips, two cans of!. :)

DSCN3412.jpg

DSCN3411.jpg

DSCN3410.jpg

Much better :)

Edited by matty_gti

matty_gti

After leaving that to dry for a few days I emptied all the old fuel from the full tank...

DSCN2912.jpg

DSCN2913.jpg

A very odd colour!.

Next up, clean the full tank from dust and grime and refit...

DSCN3414.jpg

The rusty fuel lines that came off the car were chucked and I bought some new fuel 'lines' from Peugeot. In actual fact It's one long line that you need to cut in two and bend to shape. Not the easiest job but keeping the old ones for this you just match them up, bend and match up again, then bend some more!. In the end you get these.

DSCN3409.jpg

:)

Zara

i started reading this and was thinking where the hell is this going :lol: then i saw one little white car and thought i know whos that is!!!! then i finished reading! :lol:

Looks really good though! cant believe youve got rid of Jelly now! :(

matty_gti

I thought I would write up the story of the 205's I've owned and how I caught the bug!. :)

I didn't get rid :(. First she got hit up the rear by a young (actually probably the same age as me at the time!) dive of a driver in his chaved up corsa. When it came to sorting the insurance his insurance company said it was beyond repair and that they were going to pay out and then it wen't silent. A bit of advice, do not go with Admiral as they are the cheapest for a reason, they are rubbish!. Not one bit of help what so ever.

To add to the blow, while I got no where with the insurance company I actually wrote her off. Was going a bit to fast and lost the back end on a slightly damp road. She went from this...

DSC00086.jpg

To this...

DSCN0870.jpg

DSCN0866.jpg

Was so gutted.

:(

Edited by matty_gti

Zara

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! such a shame! haha i remember that weekend! :lol: was funny!

matty_gti

I know. :(

Look what I just found...

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

• Like 1

Zara

hahahaha :D omg!!! anyways ive probs sent you a bit off topic so back on topic Mr! :P

matty_gti

Next up, taking apart the rear beam...which I will update next time!. ^_^

matty_gti

It's beam refurbing time! :D

The plan, strip the old 1.6 beam down and inspect the parts - Once apart only one of the trailing arm shafts were good so this was pressed out and kept. Once this was done I had the beam tube and TB's blasted and powder coated. Not wanting to have drums I bought some 306 GTI6 rear trailing arms so I can run discs on the rear and have the slight negative camber. These again were all wire brushed, rust treated then primed and painted black. I've bought all new seals and bearings from peugeot as I want this to last!. I also bought some uprated beam mounting bushes from BBM and the biggest job here was removing the old bushes!:)

DSCN2582.jpg

DSCN2598.jpg

DSCN2620.jpg

DSCN2606.jpg

Finally knocked the old bearings out...

DSCN2617.jpg

DSCN2616.jpg

It took a blow torch and a hack saw to get the old bushes out...

DSCN2624.jpg

Parts ready for the powder coaters...

DSCN2778.jpg

matty_gti

Onto the arms...

DSCN3012.jpg

DSCN3008.jpg

DSCN3014.jpg

DSCN3029.jpg

DSCN3027.jpg

And then some new bits!.

DSCN3048.jpg

DSCN3034.jpg

samthornton1990

Looking good this bud.

cybernck

Don't forget you'll need 306 rear discs now :).

matty_gti

Thanks for the comments. I did um and ar about that until I did a search ;) I've searched a lot to make sure I do things right!. :)

matty_gti

After fittng the fuel tank i decided to go over the underside again with some black stone chip along with waxol in all the nooks and crannies...then re-fitted the tank.

Got the bits back from the coaters and all my nuts and bolts from the platers :D

I started first by fitting the BBM bushes and new bearings. I best thing to use to get the inner bearings in the right place was the spare trailing arm I had!.

DSCN3074.jpg

Having a look at the beam height settings

DSCN3359-1.jpg

DSCN3072.jpg

DSCN3075.jpg

Edited by matty_gti

matty_gti

Fitted the 306 trailing arms and Bilstein shocks...

DSCN3357-1.jpg

One 'good as new' beam :)

DSCN3491.jpg

DSCN3494.jpg

• Like 1

allye

Why do you keep teasing us with dribs and drabs!

matty_gti
:lol: It'll be worth it in the end!. ;)

matty_gti

Ok Allye here's some more...

These wheels came on the TT I had, the tyres were past it so they were removed. The wheels themselves were ok just were really dirty.

DSCN3323.jpg

DSCN3317.jpg

DSCN3316.jpg

DSCN3320.jpg

These were all scrubbed and cleaned with some alloy wheel cleaner.

DSCN3515.jpg

These then came up pretty well I thought...

DSCN3514.jpg

The coloured lip on these are different to the normal style of lip. I prefer these.:) I then needed some rubber so I bought these of a chap off here for IIRC £50~ delivered and they have loads of tread which was a bonus.

DSCN3516.jpg

Took these down to a mate that works for Merityre who then fitted them for me ;)

matty_gti

Well it's update time!.

This is how she sat for a long time.

DSCN2826.jpg

Old engine and new engine.

DSCN2825.jpg

The engine I bought from Ed on here who built the lovely sorrento. He called me one day and asked if he could borrow the engine crane again, I asked why and then a few days later he dropped the engine off with all the bits for the conversion!. :) it was only at that point I knew I would put a 6 engine in the car as I had no idea what route to go down.

Before putting the engine in I wanted to modify that big lump of iron that holds the PAS pump and alt etc, just to save a bit of weight.

Before...

DSCN2785.jpg

During...

DSCN2807.jpg

After, much better.

DSCN2810.jpg

More to come. :)

matty_gti

Just added some more pictures to photo bucket...

After cutting the alt/pas bracket down it was time to fit the engine so out came the trusty engine crane.

DSCN2830.jpg

DSCN2832.jpg

DSCN2836.jpg

DSCN2837.jpg

After getting the engine in I just needed to add a spacer or two to the mounts to get it sitting level. The manifolds are all standard with the engine tilted around 10mm. Rather tham the standard soft item I fitted a 'smaller in height' top engine mount so the engine sits around half an inch lower than standard so I didn't get the usual clearance issues.

Next on the list was getting on with some wiring. I wanted to have the battery in the boot for a) for weight distribution and B) to have more room in the engine bay. All this stuff was bought from Vehicle wiring products onlne. I also made my own battery tray out of a piece of metal I cut out of an old washing machine. :)

DSCN2844.jpg

DSCN3114.jpg

DSCN3116.jpg

And with the engine in fitted with the inlet manifold and a few other bits slowly getting ready for it to run.

DSCN2928.jpg

dcc

SNOW?!

matty_gti

I then started to sort out the two brown multi plugs after doing a bit of research on here.

DSCN2823.jpg

A few other pics...

DSCN2929.jpg

DSCN2932.jpg

I made up some brackets for the rad to sit lower than standard to miss the engine. I needed to cut away the lip in the front bar to do this so out came the angle grinder.

DSCN2959.jpg

DSCN2961.jpg

I then started to sort out the height for the rad and location of the ECU. I basically cut right down a standard box and made it fit infront of the expansion bottle.

DSCN2978.jpg

DSCN2979.jpg

matty_gti

SNOW?!

^_^ I put the engine in December last year, it was bloody cold!.

matty_gti

Some more pics!

DSCN3086.jpg

And then came fitting the 309 shafts. You can see the radiator mounts along with the radiator cowling that I later changed as the fan was not good enough/in a lower position so was replaced with two slim line fans.

DSCN3087.jpg

DSCN3408.jpg

Right the next thing was the interior. I really did not like the grey dash and plastics so spent along time dying these with plasticare which actually worked a treat!. I also spent a looonnng time washing the carpet. Every time I washed it with carpet cleaner dirty water just kept coming off it!. After 3 days of washing and a long time drying I got it back in the car. Only got a few pics of this.

Before:

DSCN3050.jpg

DSCN3658.jpg

During:

DSCN3637.jpg

After:

DSCN3664.jpg

DSCN3663.jpg

DSCN3970.jpg

More to come!.

Edited by matty_gti