• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cRaig

Front Bumper Fixing Spacers

cRaig

Hello,

Im getting ready to fit my bumpers, and unfortunately the fixing spacers are NLA from peugeot. Has anyone used or found an alternative recently?

kgrhqzpoe7bcvjc3pboynsi.jpg

2c74a10a.jpg

Its the part with the red cross (part 7), fits inside the plastic buffer onto the corner sliders.

Craig

Tom Fenton

Back many years ago I made some by welding some nuts with the thread drilled out of them together and then welding a washer on the end.

More recently I have more finesse so I made some from some hex bar and a penny washer, TIG welded together.

I can make you some if you get stuck. Could even do them from stainless?

Miles

I've been thinking about these, The 306 use Nylon ones which are fine as it's not load bearing at all so no reason not to make them like that on the 205, plus you won;t have the rubber bit to try and force on and off

welshpug

Back many years ago I made some by welding some nuts with the thread drilled out of them together and then welding a washer on the end.

More recently I have more finesse so I made some from some hex bar and a penny washer, TIG welded together.

I can make you some if you get stuck. Could even do them from stainless?

I would have a few tom, with a nylon tophat like miles suggested maybe? :)

Fox

I'd be interested aswell Tom!

eddie bullit

Put me down for a few :)

starky5

i would have a few if you were going to make some! I need to sort out my front bumper its basically hanging off

EdCherry

So does this means you can still get the rubber donut bits that seem to attach on to the car? Sorry for the slight off topic but I think its the only part im missing.

BusEngineer

id be interested too Tom

cRaig

So does this means you can still get the rubber donut bits that seem to attach on to the car? Sorry for the slight off topic but I think its the only part im missing.

Part number 7427 10 is listed as the rubber buffer for the front and rear bumpers, and suggests they are still available, although it does say "except GTI" for the front bumper. No other ones seem to be listed instead, and Im sure Ive got and used the same ones as the rear bumper before and they seem to work fine.

Tom Fenton

1st pair. Those who have expressed interest, these take some serious making for such a small thing. I may consider making more but be warned they will be priced accordingly.

A4762813-orig.jpg

eddie bullit

How much do you reckon Tom?

Chris_Mi

I'll be interested in 2 pairs pending price!

EdCherry

Seems im missing these and not the rubber buffers. Come on then tom give us a price please.

Tom Fenton

£16.50 a pair inc post, yes expensive for what they are, but I value my time, and I also have the bandsaw, lathe, TIG welder to make them, so if I'm going to spend a lot of time making them, it has to be worth my while I am afraid. 12 seperate operations to make each one.

cRaig

Just for the sake of a fair comparison: they are listed at £9.08 inc VAT on service box for a pair, considering I bought some new before I put my 205 back ont the road, and 10 months later they were already rusting well, having them made out of stainless for an extra 7 quid, I think is fairly resonable, especially consdering they are NFP anyway!

Craig

EdCherry

Thats not bad at all tom, these are stainless right?

Tom Fenton

Yes buddy, all stainless.

paul205mi16

I'm interested too tom.

Tom Fenton

F66F8FD1-orig.jpg

These are spoken for, anyone wanting these please contact me, I will be making to order on receipt of payment.

Thanks

Tom

Weser

This may be a stupid question so feel free to call me an idiot if its due...:blush:

Why its the hex bar needed? Is it just for a spanner to beable to tighten it up? If it is would it not be easier and maybe cheaper to turn the bar down from the large washer size to the circumferance of the hex bar the to the size of the small washer. Put a thread through the center and then a couple of flats on to beable to tighten. (que rage at me)

I dont really know where this goes but I am sure I will need some soon as im am going to be fitting a front bumper and was just wondering more than anything. I am sure there is a good reason why this is not the way of doing it.

Tom Fenton

This may be a stupid question so feel free to call me an idiot if its due...:blush:

You are an idiot! :excl:

In seriousness, the rubber that this spacer sits through has a hex in it. If you made the insert cylindrical there would be nothing to allow you to tighten the bolt that goes into it. Flats won't work as it isn't a spanner that holds it.

Plus turning down 20mm stainless bar to size then parting it off, then setting it up in the milling machine for flats, is just as much work as welding a washer on the end.

If you have a lathe, milling machine, bandsaw, TIG welder in your garage pleasee feel free to prove me wrong. If not you'll just have to trust my judgement.

Weser

No honestly wasn't a dig at all! It now makes sense didnt realise the rubber had a hex inside. It was just a question as I design parts like this for manufacture all the time and welding is usually the time consuming aspect. It was just my curisosity which is now satisfied ;)

I trust your judgment!

Tom Fenton

Picture pinched from Craigs build thread, showing these in the rubber bush they fit into.

]wp000133.jpg

cRaig

Can confirm bumper is fitted and they work just as the originals :) Impressed it even includes the bolt and washer, the peugeot price doesnt ;):P