• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

stef205

[car_upgrade] Stef's 205 Gti6 Conversion And Tidy

stef205

Well id thought id share my project, I bought 2x 1990 205 1.6gti's off ebay for £500 took the chance and went to pick them up. One was complete and mot'ed, the other was a mess and undrivable. Slapped the trade plates on the complete one and drove her all the way from burnham on sea to home in the south west. Anyway got her back to the workshop and dropped the scrap one at work.

IMG_0193.jpg

This is where she was going to live for awhile.

Next day we dragged the old lump out and got busy

IMG_0208.jpg

Pulled the bumpers off and got some new brackets and gave them a paint

IMG_0187.jpg

Then i started to strip the underside down and rubbed everything down.

IMG_0299.jpg

Started to repaint underneath

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

More to come...

stef205

Fuel lines were shot so went down to b&q and got some micro bore pipe to make some nice new ones along with some new rubber hose from the pump ;)

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

Started to repaint the engine bay

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

Gave the gearbox mount and servo some paint aswell

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

Then came the rear beam rebuild luckly i had a friend that works for a recon axle place not to far so he pikey'd me some new parts

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

Then fitted that to the car

IMG_0337.jpg

stef205

Then my new engine came ^_^

IMG_0234.jpg

Managed to find a complete engine with 60k from new

I didnt see the point in ripping the engine to peices as it was low miles and didnt seem oilly or dirty.

Got the useal parts painted

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

I decieded to put a new oil pump spring in it to be safe and gave the filter a clean.

On close inspection of the sump i found a crack so i hunted around and got one from pugplus!, Unwrapped it to find this

IMG_0271.jpg

Wasnt happy! anyway got a mate to weld it up and job was a gooden and it was back on.

Reangled the exhaust and then wrapped it up

IMG_0251.jpg

dcc

Pug plus... lol. Rich up to his tricks again?

stef205

It came to the big day and the engine went in :)

IMG_0252.jpg

Got it sitting nice on all its mounts with nice clearance with the manifold

Started to put things back in but wasnt happy with the inlet and rad clearance

IMG_0263.jpg

So i dropped and moved it forward abit, got it to fit really well

IMG_0285.jpg

I decieded to do way with the slam pannel and used a piece of angled alui, something that i could bolt the grill to

IMG_0307.jpg

I then had to go back to work and the work stopped for a bit but in that time i sent the loom off to spikey for him to do his magic, While he was doing that i got some new wheels for it, also then i could fit the gti6 front brakes and the rear discs also from a gti6, it was very handy as we were braking one at work.

The next day i got the loom back from spikey and got that fitted, Then plumbed it all in and BROOM she fired first time! :wub:

th_video-2011-08-16-16-36-26-1.jpg

I left her running for a while so the smoke from the heat wrap could dissapear

Pug plus... lol. Rich up to his tricks again?

yeah it did seem at the time haha

kyepan

Like the red fanimold

stef205

Few weeks later i got it sitting better on some new spax shocks and lowering springs

IMG_0389.jpg

Show it some day light for the first time in months and gave it a bit of a wash

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

I got some 309 wishbone and shafts from work and got them in with the gti6 brakes and painted the subframe

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0396-1.jpg

IMG_0397-1.jpg

I decieded to modify the rear wate housing so i could get the water flowing abit better

IMG_0453.jpg

stef205

We drove it down the lane and then desaster struck! BANG! bonnet pins ripped out and the bonnet flew up luck for the bonnet stay!

IMG_0387.jpg

So the next day i got a bonnet from the scrap yard and refitted the bonnet pins with some big ass rivets

IMG_0421.jpg

Got it her home for the first time and gave her abit of a polish up for monday where she would go in for here mot

DSC01734.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

stef205

While she was at work i got next door to paint the roof

DSC01746.jpg

Got it through the mot apart from the top strut bearings decieded to fall apart it was all fine, Then ran the insurance company and got her insured! i was smiling for weeks, She was like a rocket ship coming from a saxo vts.

Few weeks later i decieded to uprated the radiator, so after scrolling through the forum i went with the same set up as rallyesh and ordered a new rad and some silicone hose

DSC01761.jpg

DSC01762.jpg

stef205

It was the weekend of pugfest and i decieded to leave her at home as it was a fair drive and being on a 1.6 box, so i went up with the old man.

Came back from pug fest with afew goodies got a set of the solid mounts from stew and a bumper from graham

2011-07-25225341.jpg

2011-08-01164551.jpg

2011-08-01175257.jpg

Then drove up the work shop and got it fitted, Not to every ones taste but owell

2011-08-16160835.jpg

Next day i had a nice delivery at the door, My friend with a nice recon 309 tube and berlingo 21.8mm torsion bars

2011-06-11164944.jpg

I lined a old 205 tube against it to see what i was going to gain

2011-06-13111119.jpg

The next day at work i tore a gti6 beam apart and pinced the arms and anti roll bar and got it cut and resplined

then got painting

2011-06-13143906.jpg

2011-06-13144858.jpg

2011-06-14131924.jpg

Edited by stef205
  • Like 1

stef205

Got the 309 beam fitted and reconditioned some gti6 rear calipers

2011-07-27113736.jpg

2011-06-21172913.jpg

Drove it around for a few weeks seemed nice and frim and alot better than the old beam, I took the dog for a walk one day and was walking back to the car to be stopped by a old lady and she asked if that was my car, i expected the useal like its loud etc but turned out she was telling me that my wheel was off the floor i didnt take much notice thought it was rubbish, anyway got back to the car to see my rear wheel off the floor this is when i realized how hard it was :lol:

2011-10-19122517.jpg

allye

You like your crazy caliper colours don't you! :lol:

stef205

After 7000miles later i decieded i wanted to throw more money at her and started to build some bodies for her, I won a inlet cheap enough so i got a mate to cut and mill it down abit

384843_10151007202810338_839310337_21784437_2069625363_a.jpg

I bought some r1 throttle bodies of ebay then gutted them and had a chamber

IMG_0073.jpg

i was trying to see if this would run on the standard ecu :unsure:

IMG_0080.jpg

anyway they went on and it fired first time and ran fine on idel

IMG_0090.jpg

but the bonnet wouldnt shut :lol: so i opited to test drive with no bonnet it drove but over fuelled big time, plan is to run a emerald or omex ecu and get it running nicely

Refitted standard inlet and booked her in for a dyno run, took her to tipton st johns only returned to there as they did my saxo and did a cracking job!

285697_10150710257420338_839310337_19561839_1249473_n.jpg

Arrived and on the rollers she went ;)

I was shocked in what she returned

205gti6RR.jpg

161bhp was told there was a fueling issue at top end, i have no idea what this could be, although she does stall at junctions sometimes, i have changed the icv and map sensor

Here is a short video of it

th_SAM_0420.jpg

Thats all for now :)

stef205

You like your crazy caliper colours don't you! :lol:

Yeah i was waiting for someone to say that :lol: its for when i run things over they can see nice colours and go ooooh :lol:

johnnyboy666

love the tripoding pic lol

stef205

love the tripoding pic lol

Yeah it makes me laugh too, friends have seen me corner with one wheel up :P

Miles

I'd get some new fuel pipes as those look like copper ones, The new fuel will start to eat into them

I wouldn't worry about the power figures, you can tell the readouts not quite right as the engine would never rev to 7600 on a std ECU and anything from 160 to 170 is about right depending on cam timing, engine condition along with different RR's which can be anything from disappointing to well over reading

Another tip which seems very odd to me, is ditch the cut out switch,

stef205

I'd get some new fuel pipes as those look like copper ones, The new fuel will start to eat into them

I wouldn't worry about the power figures, you can tell the readouts not quite right as the engine would never rev to 7600 on a std ECU and anything from 160 to 170 is about right depending on cam timing, engine condition along with different RR's which can be anything from disappointing to well over reading

Another tip which seems very odd to me, is ditch the cut out switch,

What do you recommend fuel line wise?

Miles

Std Pug one's, Just normal Steel

stef205

bit of a update pulled the 1.9 gearbox out the shed and took it to the petrol station and gave it a hot wash, ready to paint it later in the week. Also fitted some drilled and grooved discs to the front with new pads, and got a pair of yoko paradas2 fitted aswell.

IMG_0104.jpg

stef205

Today ive been on the look for a aftermarket ecu, dta, emerald and omex mainly i spoke to my local engine mapper and he can map either, i was looking a dta s40 pro does anyone have and opinions on these ecus's? pointers etc, i hope to buy in a few weeks, and im fairly new to the aftermarket ecu seen.

stef205

I need a new set of speedo drive gears for the new gearbox its a 1.9 box and im using 195/50/15 tyres does any one know which gears i will need as theres so many different options?

dgp_1_

Really like what you've done with this! Looks sweet, and great job finding a clean, low mileage engine. Out of interest, as you said you came from a VTS, how do these compare? I'm doing a GTi-6/5 conversion on my 205 at the moment, having come from a GTi engined 106, so I'm in a similar boat...

stef205

Thanks mate, well my vts was cammed and ported etc, and my 205 is on a 1.6 box and i drive every where in 5th so much grunt! the 205 handles much better and seems to go better but the vts was faster on top end but this is only down to my gearbox choice, i have a 1900 box to go in soon so time will tell. But over all much better car, no pannels falling off this one! ^_^

stef205

done abit of work to the 1.9 box, new shaft seals, primary shaft seal, and fork bushes gave it abit of paint, got abit carried away call me a tart if you like :lol:

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg