• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Para

[car_upgrade] Black 205 Gti6 - 1991

Para

Hi Everyone,

Since my project is "nearly" finished I've decided to share some things with you guys. GTI6 engine is very popular in UK but in Poland where I am from it was the first documented project. (as far as I know). YES !!! We are way behind UK but when we finally decided to do things, we prefer to do them right ! :) Here's my story.

------------------------

205 GTI is pretty rare in Poland, during communism time you could forget about buying anything which wasn't Russian so nearly all GTI's in Poland were bought after the border opened and were brought from Germany , Switzerland or Sweden. That's a good thing as most of the cars in Germany are really well looked after. I spot my car while driving to my home town, car was parked in front of somebody's house and it looked pretty forgotten. This is how it looks when I first view it.

img3904wx.jpg

Car was covered in chicken poo... I really couldn't wait to start looking after the car. From extras it had ABS, leather seats (..or what's left from them :/ ) power steering and big sunroof so exactly what you need ! :)

img3906gk.jpg

img4065cg.jpg

After I got it, I couldn't decided what to do with it, should I keep it original or do something more. At first I've decided to gather some parts and freshen up the car a little. After few washes it looked like this. ( I got those alloy wheels with the car )

img4181y.jpg

Wash the carpet and manage to get a lovely set of mint seats.

img6266qw.jpg

img6268w.jpg

img6484vs.jpg

During the time when I lived in Ireland I bought this beauty from GTI drivers forum member.

dsc01057le.jpg

Car had S16 engine and I was really happy from the amount of power it produced. That's why standard power in black 1.9 wasn't enough and I've decided to go little bit more and stick GTI6 engine in my black GTI. This is where my story begins, let me know if you want to hear more , if interest is there I will be glad to stick more picture in the thread.

Thanks,

Mike !

GLPoomobile

How the hell did those full leathers get in that state?! :o

Para

Car had 140 000 km (86 000 miles) on the clock , I suspect the guy which I bought the car from was messing with the clocks and car had about 300 000 instead :) Or he was driving in the trousers made from sandpaper and razorblades :)

Daviewonder

Or he was driving in the trousers made from sandpaper and razorblades :)

:lol:

The car cleaned up pretty well Mike. Are the GTI6 engines easy to find in Poland or did you get it shipped over?

I love that red GTI, almost makes me want to fit clear indicators to my red 1.6.

Para

Thanks Dave,

GTI6 are almost impossible to find. The only way to go is to look for Xsara VTS which is also pretty rare car here. It took me ages to locate and find a proper engine. I manage to buy this 2002 Xsara VTS with 60 000 on the clock, car was RHD and it was brought to Poland by the previous owner. I got it for pretty cheap, as cars with steering wheel on the right side are pretty much useless there.

mainoq.jpg

un numero d'or

The power of persuation:) You show them Mike!

SurGie

Good on ya Mike, it looks a good project and hoped i helped you well enough with a few bits. I'm looking forward to more recent pics and progress :)

Your red one looks mint :)

PS, have you kept the VTS beam by any chance, :unsure:

cybernck

Wow, those seats were in a right state! :o Luckily, the rest of the car appears to be in very good condition.

Are you allowed to simply swap an engine in Poland, without any paperwork?

un numero d'or

No paperwork needed plus the polish MOT is pretty much a joke.

Para

Good on ya Mike, it looks a good project and hoped i helped you well enough with a few bits. I'm looking forward to more recent pics and progress :)

Your red one looks mint :)

PS, have you kept the VTS beam by any chance, :unsure:

Thanks George, you really helped me in some places and I really appreciate those silicon hoses which I got from you. I will try to post few more pictures but I am also trying to not show the final product to quickly ;)

Wow, those seats were in a right state! :o Luckily, the rest of the car appears to be in very good condition.

Are you allowed to simply swap an engine in Poland, without any paperwork?

Apart from the seats car was surprisingly in good shape, chassis with no rust, suspension and engine were very good. Even the paint wasn't that bad apart from the bonnet which was in pretty bad state - million little scratches.

As the project continue to grow with help from my enthusiastic friends....

para037.jpg

...I started looking for parts needed for conversion, 205 GTI drivers was very helpful here.

so It began first purchase 309 GTI wishbones and ARB

1083696659.jpg

309 GTI Driveshafts which were professionally reconditioned.

20101107003.jpg

20101107005.jpg

Alloy wheel joice was obvious ... :) SL434 only , but first I manage to recondition the standard set...

fileib.jpg

31072010475.jpg

I have two sets now which is pretty handy in Poland as you NEED to have winter tyres in the winter. I was hoping to use standard 15" wheels as my "winter" wheels.

Para

To finish the suspension setup I got rear shocks from 306 GTI6, fronts are adjustable Kayaba AGX with - 40 mm springs

19082010497.jpg

20110106002.jpg

dsc00235el.jpg

Para

The whole car is on 309 GTI setup, rear beam turn from this...

img3875a.jpg

Into this....

18032011694.jpg

18032011697.jpg

vinorak

great project :wub: I donť know any 205gti with XU10J4RS in Czech Republic, so You will be the first in both country. :D

Para

Thanks Vinorak, I like your Griffe. How is it keeping now ?

I got rid of ABS system as I didn't find that setup efficient enough, instead I bought another useless equipment which is A/C unit :P

img6917.jpg

img6915.jpg

Summer in Poland can be pretty hot wub.gif

Edited by Para

vinorak

black leather seats could be very hot, i using white sheet as a protection :lol: griffe lives without any change...

harryskid

Looks good!

Para

To complete the brakes I got braided hoses and brembo's at the front ( I think that's the biggest mistake of my project so far as SL434 didn't fit on the car ) !!!!

dsc04667p.jpg

block024.jpg

block025.jpg

To fit Brembo's I had to buy spacers but all of that with 309 GTI wishbones and driveshafts pushed the wheel way to much and I got to much of a wheel sticking out from the arches...

20110830038.jpg

I will have to dump the idea of driving on SL434 for a while which is a pity... :( I will keep them in storage for a while until I will find a good GTI6 calipers to fit on the car.

Edited by Para

Para

In the meantime ( it took me and my friend only 4 hours :o ) we took out the engine from Xsara

silnikxsaravtskolektor.jpg

And my good friend Nicolas was helping me out by preparing the engine loom

img0762mix.jpg

cybernck

Nice work! B) Keep the updates coming :).

Para

Car is up and running now but I have some problems with connecting the rev counter.... :/ I have ph2 VTS engine , phase I loom and ph2 205 GTI laugh.gif I got VVS speed sensor from 306 but the rev counter still doesn't show revs. What am I doing wrong ?

Edited by Para

jackherer

I will keep them in storage for a while until I will find a good GTI6 calipers to fit on the car.

Does the Xsara you have taken the engine from not have any brakes then?

Para

That's another mistake which i've done.... :/ I took the engine out with few most needed parts which I thought will be useful, and I sold the rest.... After a week I start crying that I need to buy things again and I could easily take them off my Xsara !!!! I would recommend to anyone to keep the donor car till the end of the conversion :) You never know what you might need !

Edited by Para
  • Like 1

lukegroves_123

Looking good mate. Keep the pics coming. :)

Anthony

Car is looking very good, especially given how rare and difficult parts are to obtain over in Poland. Keep up the good work!

Car is up and running now but I have some problems with connecting the rev counter.... :/ I have ph2 VTS engine , phase I loom and ph2 205 GTI laugh.gif I got VVS speed sensor from 306 but the rev counter still doesn't show revs. What am I doing wrong ?

The VSS sensor is nothing to do with the rev counter - that tells the ECU how fast the car is going.

The output from the ECU is incompatible with the 205 rev counter as standard, so you either need to modify the rev counter, or run a tacho converter to take a feed from the four coils to drive the rev counter. Personally, I would modify the rev counter - if you do a search, you'll find the details about where you need to solder a wire on the rev counter to make it work.

Para

Thanks, I will look into that rev counter.

After reading a lot on this forum i've decided to use standard 1.9 GTI exhaust system, with VTS downpipe and catalyc converter. To get original exhaust from 1.9 I was waiting 3 weeks and it was shipped to Poland from Belgium blush.gifsleep.gif In my previous GTI , I had full magnex exhaust and it was very very loud... I remember after driving good few hours on 205 GTI Euro Trip my ears were in bits !!!!

20110301096.jpg

p1240249t.jpg

I got exhaust manifold from 306 GTI6 and it was modified by Miles, thanks !

obraz051g.jpg

So exhaust sorted then !!!