• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Fenton

[Car_Overhaul] Laser Green 205 1.6 Gti

Tom Fenton

Ps

I am quite looking forward to the MOT mans reaction when he gets it on the ramp and sees underneath! He is used to 205 GTI's as I usually take at least half a dozen there every year.

• Like 1

Slo

Superb mate absolutely superb, my own mot guy gets a bit hyper when I take mine and utters wtf a few times too but his reactions are due to how much crap (turbo setup) I managed to shoe horn into the bay rather than how new it looks :lol:

Just noticed you have fitted bilstein front shock, bit of a coincidence that as I had a pair delivered this morning, at least I know I made a decent choice there then.

Edited by Slo

Tom Fenton

So MOT passed! Without sounding big headed I knew it would- pretty much everything tested was new.

The guys at the test centre loved it, there was about 6 of them under it at one point!

• Like 4

mrfirepro

Great news Tom, cant wait to see it at Pugfest...

Henry Yorke

Result :D

acox99

Nice one! Some real effort has gone into that car! What are you're plans next? You won't know what do do in you're free time, apart from use it and enjoy it.

Tom Fenton

Cheers gents. It's really nice to have a 205 on the road again I have to say.

As for spare time, there's no danger of being bored, I've 3 other 205's and a Mini awaiting my attention, and that's just the toy cars, not forgetting the "proper" road cars to maintain their upkeep!!

No don't worry about me, there's not much chance of me being bored this decade!!

ATK

Great work Tom, couldn't imagine being able to do all that! What Mini is it out of curiosity?

2-Pugs

Well done Tom, great result. Car looks superb. A credit to you.

allanallen

Looks superb tom as I said earlier :)

Would have loved to have gone to the mot with you to see their reaction compared to the last one you took them!! :P

Tom Fenton

Cheers Gents. After a big push over the last few weeks/months, its rather a strange feeling today knowing its more or less done. Whilst "restoring in anger" it was a constant process of thinking ahead, ordering parts, getting things blasted and re plated or powder coated, alongside actually working on it.

Next up really is a few bits of finishing off, I've got a set of Speedline wheels to be refinished, not 100% decided on painting or powdercoating yet, the tyres are here ready to go on the new wheels when they are done. Spare wheel cage is black currently, I am considering painting it body colour.

Then the whole thing needs a bloody good clean, sorry to those that are well into it all but I cannot get into the whole "detailing" thing, wash dry polish and wax is about my limit!

Aside from that I also need to have a good sort out in the garage, its looking a real cluttered congested mess at the moment, having the entire original running gear off the car in there isn't helping, e.g. beam, front subframe, legs, shafts etc. The floor is ready for repainting and I also keep threatening to paint the walls white to make it a bit lighter in there.

Tom Fenton

Just one photo from yesterday on the ramp

36024093760_2ba0624041_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

• Like 1

iPlod999

Then the whole thing needs a bloody good clean, sorry to those that are well into it all but I cannot get into the whole "detailing" thing, wash dry polish and wax is about my limit!

Wash, Polish and wax you are halfway there.

Just make sure you use 2 buckets for the wash.

20140626_155426_zpsyjulgsgt.jpg

It really does help keep down the swirls on the paintwork in the long run.

But please don't tell me you use a chamois leather to dry. ;)

Tom Fenton

I always did use a chammy until very recently! But I recently got some microfibre cloths which I have to say I am impressed with, they are very effective (better than a leather) at drying the car, I have 5 that I use for drying them now, hang them on the line after and they soon dry out ready for next time.

I do use 1 bucket, always have done. So what is the process for 2 buckets then?

iPlod999

1 bucket for you car shampoo. The other for plain water to rinse out your mitt.

Wash a bit. Rinse in the plain water then dunk in the shampoo water and wash a bit.

Wash, rinse, dunk, repeat.

By the end of the wash most of the dirt you have picked up off of the car will be in the rinse bucket.

If you only use one bucket you will be washing the car with dirty water right from the start.

Rock Lobster

That looks fantastic Tom, very impressed with your work again. But I have to say that that spare wheel hanger would help massively when painted in body colour!

I picked up nice big microfibre drying towel for the cars for not much money, you might feel like a bit of a idiot when toweling the car dry, and you will get some funny looks, but i spent a lot of time getting the paint back up with a DA polisher recently. So I want it to look its best for years rather than months and if you don't look after it, swirls will appear in no time.

Keep up the good work mate :)

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Ok I could be convinced by the double bucket. Where do those big ones in your thread come from?

iPlod999

Topps Tiles.

Bal mixing buckets. 25 litre about £4 each.

I'll get you machine polishing by the end of the year. ;)

Tom Fenton

I already machine polish, it's just when I do it, it's with a big rotary and it's after I've been painting panels! Those buckets sound a bargain I'm sure there is a topps tiles near here somewhere, thanks.

acox99

So what's wrong with a chamois leather? Iv always used them.

iPlod999

Chamois is quite a hard cloth.

If any dirt/grit is still on your paintwork it will mark the paint/clear coat and give swirls.

Next time you have bright sunlight on your car have a look.

Bonnet of an MR2.

DSC_0004-3_zpsbfecbf63.jpg

Don't look into the light look around the light.

£3 micofibre drying towel from Asda.

DSC_0019-3_zps3b0f6136.jpg

Edited by iPlod999

eddie bullit

That's the towel I use. Microfibres towels are the way to go. I'm not on the two bucket method either but I think I will do after seeing your pics iplod.

• Like 1

calvinhorse

I've started using 2 buckets tom, it's the way forward, you don't end up with s*itty water at the end and less chance of rubbing dirt into the paint

• Like 2

ANDYGON

Not much to add. Just to say what a great story and lovely example.

Well done on all the hard work.

Tom Fenton

So two things done today

Firstly, this!!

36356315196_b7d638625b_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Then secondly, got a call from the powdercoaters to say my wheels were ready. With a bit of a mad dash after work managed to get over to pick them up, then across to the only tyre fitters round here that can do a proper job of balancing the solid centre wheels to have my 4 new Goodyears fitted, then finally home. They haven't got the diamond cut centre as the prices I was getting were absurd! But i may get another set done like this at some point.

Before they went on the car I have them a coat of wax inside and out to help keep them clean.

36400841885_7f8e627f82_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr