• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Fenton

[Car_Overhaul] Laser Green 205 1.6 Gti

Tom Fenton

To be honest although it would be nice to change it back to John Harrison stuff, the car came with all its Derek Pike stuff on it, numberplates front and rear, rear window sticker, tax disc holder, key ring, invoice of sale from Pikes, etc. So although they are not original from the time it was new, they are original to the car at some point in its life. I will be leaving it as it is for now anyway.

TT205

Surely you ARE going to have a cuddly Garfield on the parcel shelf :lol:

Tom Fenton

Garfield isn't at the top of the to do list if I am totally honest.....

TT205

She looks ace, you must be well chuffed!

Tom Fenton

You bet I am, the car itself really is super clean and nice, but it is the history part that really is the icing on the cake for me.

I will attend to a couple of bits and bobs on the car, then whilst she is tucked away for the winter I plan to make up a scrapbook or whatever you want to call it, with all the pictures and info etc in.

Andy_C

Enjoying the story as it unfolds on this one and still very envious indeed.

Liking the period pics and the Cortina - identical colour to my first ever car but looks like a GL; mine was an L :lol:

cybernck
95E2099F-orig.jpg

Driving lights lasted only 5-6 years ;).

Tom Fenton

That picture was 1st Sept 1999, so they lasted 8 1/2 years, not very good really.

Also look at the backbox in the other old pics- that was only just 1 year old.

TT205

but it is the history part that really is the icing on the cake for me.

My first 205 was an H-reg Turbo Technics conversion I bought it in 1996 or 1997

I had the full history on the car, it went straight from the showroom to Osselli Engineering for the conversion with 6 miles on the clock, the original owner sold it after a year? to a guy near Lancaster who had it until it emigrated to Yorkshire. I had every tax disc from new, all the service history, the brochure from Osselli etc

I had it as my road car for 3 years, then started Hillclimbing with it (no further mods other than seat and harness)

Sold it in ?2005 or 2006 to a guy off the forum. According to Stu he took the engine out to do a refresh and 3 years later it was still sat in his back garden :(

Haven't asked Stu recently if it's still sat there rotting away :o

Iirc it had a bubble on the OS front wing, else it was in very good nick

I suppose my point is - it was a dearly loved car with history like yours and the end result was very sad :(

feb

I don't see the point in keeping previous tax discs and throw them away now (or even better not need one anymore ; )

All they do is remind me of how much money has been paid to cover black holes.

I guess it shows that a car has been kept on the road for all its life.

Edited by feb

cybernck

That picture was 1st Sept 1999, so they lasted 8 1/2 years, not very good really.

I know, however they had been knackered for a few years already, which is why I deducted them from the total :).

dch1950

Oselli Engineering - that's a blast from the past.:unsure:

D

Tom Fenton

So the modifications have started....

Not really!

Tail pipe trim removed, and rear wiper set at a nice angle when at rest.

35366232154_2351745ab6_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Tom Fenton

So back from holiday and itching to get cracking, I started with a good inspection. At the front the rad is starting to drip, so will need a replacement soon, this is a shame as it looks to be the original and otherwise in good order. The rad fan plug is broken so I need a new one of these.

But the main thing I decided to tackle was the rear valance.

I suspected the car has had a bump at some time, and talking to Ruth yes it had, in about 1994, someone drove into the back of it when it was parked, and then cleared off. It had been repaired on the surface of it quite well, from what you could see. However, the rear valance was not sitting true/square around the rear towing eye, and the fog light didn't fit the bumper properly, you can see in this picture.

36201685325_7bddf00291_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

So off with its bumper.

36035148472_c72d0e854a_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Both corners brackets where the bumper attaches are good which is nice, also the return panels are solid.

36067759791_14bc77f49e_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36035148462_8ba99ddc1b_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

From inside the boot there was this grotty bit which I knew about when I bought the car.

36035148122_a411daa18a_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

This is on the angled part of the shut panel.

On the outside of this its grot o rama

36160500856_997427472d_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36160501016_822b51ebb6_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

35397323733_34d37cf410_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Basically it looks like the impact was the right hand side of the numberplate, this also explains why the towing eye is bent.

Looks like it has had a section of back panel let in, the spot welds on the side pieces to the rear quarters are original, there are some poor MIG tacks on the edges of the two panels where they butt together under where the tailgate seal would fit.

Thats as far as I got tonight.

However in preperation I took a trip to the breakers the other day, got busy with the stihl saw and have this in stock

36160500986_62a29cb683_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Need to have a careful bit of cleaning back to see how it is all attached, and how I can unpick the old and weld in the new part.....

feb

What did you use to cut the metal from the scrapyard car?

trogboy

What did you use to cut the metal from the scrapyard car?

A stihl saw... petrol powered disk cutter. Looks very neat for this approach though.

Tom Fenton

So I've had a couple of hours tonight unpicking the rear panel. I've a tendency to go at things like a bull at a gate sometimes, so I am taking my time with this to hopefully make a nice job. I've also been in touch with our very own Paintguy who hopefully is going to call through at some point to take a look and more importantly give me the benefit of his advice as he has lots of experience in this field.

First of all I drilled the spot welds to save the stiffener piece, this came off intact.

36201685335_bb6510cc16_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Next wire brush attachment of death on the angle grinder to clear away all the sealant to find the spot welds

36035148532_edc96c767e_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Cut the bulk of the boot floor off the repair section, then drill the spot welds that attach it to the rear panel

36067760071_4d42c60529_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Finally unpick the boot floor flange off the rear panel, note garage rage calming liquid in background

36160500886_b29a5b23b4_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

As you can probably tell, I am putting off cutting the car!

Leet205

Looks good Tom, Do you need a spotweld drill for when your taking the panel off the car? Should have a spare in the garage if required.

Tom Fenton

So a bit more update.

First off I've located a pair of the rear panel pressings, hopefully collecting these tomorrow afternoon. The donor section has been useful to work out how it all fits together (very complicated, lots of overlapping skins) however it has become evident that in order to fit it I am going to have to open up the box section part which will mean splitting the spot welds all the way along the panel.

Sealant dug out and rear panel split from boot floor return

36201685255_6c52821144_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Cut a section out of the boot sill to see how far the panels adjacent run through into the section, no going back now.

35809738020_d66526c683_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

This is a section I cut out, you can see it was left in the panel primer when it was welded together, it has then badly rotted.

35365908594_efb867fe4a_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Definitely no going back now.

36160501076_36c8929299_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

alphacharlie

All change in a matter of weeks then Tom, I look forward to seeing the finished article

Cheers

AC

Henry Yorke

Looks like you are adding a wheelchair ramp!

Tom Fenton

I knew it had the area that needed repair, however I did not envisage having to do surgery this major, or that I would do it so soon. Strike whilst the iron is hot and all that!

I think after this is done I will build a nice beam for it (nothing seems wrong with the one on there) and then whilst swapping over I will properly undercoat and paint the underside.

dee205

That's a real tidy original looking car you have got yourself there Tom.

hd_andy

Nice! Its actually a real responsibility owning a car like that isn't it.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Sounds daft but yes, I am trying to take my time and do a good repair.

Some more pictures to follow, I have now sourced new genuine panels for the rear panel and closing piece, and am probably 90% of the way through removing the old stuff.