• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mallone

First actual post to the site for help so go easy guys... :unsure:

Recently picked up a 1988 1.6 GTi and have had no real problems, just a few niggles that needed sorting. Been loving it so far!

Used for a few weeks from purchase without any issues, including some long (200+ miles) motorway runs, with everything working perfectly.

Thought it was worthwhile making sure that all the basics were covered with a big service and picked up a load of service items that were fitted by my mechanic. These included:

Oil change and OEM oil filter

Plugs

Leads

OEM Air filter

OEM Fuel filter

Cambelt Kit

Car felt fine on the drive home (50 miles) and I haven't used it again since this weekend for a trip to the coast.

I noticed that as we pulled into the services off the motorway for fuel that the car had quite a noisy idle, with a rattle coming from what seemed like the top end, left it sitting at idle for a while and it was still quite noisy and tappety, noticeably more so than before the service. Oil pressure and temperature were fine, and at roughly the same as level as before the service. Oil level after I let things cool down was perfectly at the top mark on the dipstick.

Didn't really have a choice other than to push on and take it steady, not putting it under much load.

As we pulled into destination the car was back to 'normal' revving smoothly and quietly without tappety noise.

Broadly the same behaviour happened on the trip home with it sounding a bit loud about half way through the journey but by the time we started the last 10 miles through town all was well again.

Having had a chat with my mechanic he said that he had used 15w/40 part synthetic oil in the change, and i'm wondering if this is causing the noisy effect when the oil gets hot? Worth changing for something else? I've seen others mention 5w40 fully synthetic? Could the tappets themselves need adjusting and then new oil is just showing that up?

Any ideas/thoughts appreciated!

dcc

ive used that oil for almost every car ive owned, i think you have a case of placeabo effect.

DamirGTI

Check :

1. SAD connector (the black one beneath the dizzy) - check if it's plugged in securely , if it is , unplug and check/measure voltage across the terminals with ignition ON (should be roughly battery voltage) .. also , squeeze/press the SAD air feed pipe with your fingers with the engine running and fully warmed up to the operating temp. (by squeezing the pipe , if it's fine , there shouldn't be a difference in engine idle..)

2. Ignition timing - check for over advanced .. (if it's over advanced , the engine will produce pinking/knocking sound in higher gear when you press on the acc. pedal , in other words when you load the engine in higher gear ..)

3. Exhaust manifold , manifold gaskets and downpipe mesh ring - check for cracks/leaks .. (cracks visually , leaks with an piece of paper tissue over the mating surfaces with the engine running

4. Valve clearances - measure .. (with feeler gauges , on stone cold engine , should be - INLET = 0.20mm ((+-0.05)) , EXHAUST = 0,40 ((-0.05/0.10 , +0.00)) ...)

... if all of the above is clear , it'll be some internal mechanical issue like : sloppy valve guides (this "comes and goes" by rattling with various engine thermal expansion ..) , bent valves , worn valve lifters , big end bearings , etc.

Damir B)

205_sunderland

could a sticky valve be a possibility if its intermitent but of course check all the basics like the other lads have mentioned

dee205

I was always led to believe 10w40 semi is better a better suited oil especially to an older engine.

DamirGTI

Oil is not the issue here .. my engine runs whisper quiet with any brand/type/viscosity i fill it up ...

Damir B)

jackflash

Damir,

You say your engine runs whispher quiet, that got me thinking about mine. I've owned 3 GTI's now and i woudnt call any quiet, they all seem to have the same 'ticking' noise when running. So my question is >Is this ticking noise normal? Ive always assumed so but maybe I've got something set up wrong! I currently have a standard 1.9 by the way

Thanks.

Cameron

The injectors make a pretty loud ticking noise, it's nothing to worry about. :)

205_sunderland

from what ive read on puma racings articles aswell it seems as standard pug made the valve clearances on exhaust side a little larger than needed to be safe and you can tone it down a tiny bit if you want which i imagine would quiet them down but doesnt bother me anyway most 8v have a tiny bit noise to them its what they sound like under load that counts when there in good health which is sweet as a nut for mine :lol:

jackflash

ok cool that sounds about right-not wanting to hijack the topic but ive been playing around with my pug ( I've only had this one afew weeks). I was wondering what everybody thinks is a realistic 0-60 for a 1.9. Mine is a 88 plate on just over 200000 miles. I cant seem to do better than about 10seconds. Engine seems ok, it revs fine through the range and theres no 'lag' ie it picks up fine. Doesnt use any oil or water. Dunno if it would be worth doing a compression test or just going and getting it set up right. Having said that its abit of a mission to find anybody who knows anything about pugs in sunny suffolk!

Any thoughts would be great

Gaz205

A bit of a resurrection of this thread but does anyone know of this issue was resolved?

I am suffering the same.. Once the engine is warm, I assume the oil is at running temp too, the tappets rattle like an 1100 fiesta!! Turn it off and immediately back on and the rattle has gone. I've done all the above ideas already and all in order, if it were a modern car I would suspect an electrical fault. Can't see a cracked manifold but I'm not sure how to test. It's booked in for a check up but fearing the worst being a head rebuild