• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

damien

205 Gti6 To Gti6 Conversion Help

dcc

subframe is just 6 bolts and 1 on the steering column, much easier to just get it off, the batt tray has 4 bolts, 2 are hidden along the side, in the engine bay. bumper is just a little tricky to get off but essentially just 4 bolts afaik, drop engine to the floor and remove gearbox. saves SO much hassle in the long run if your takign engine out by your self!

Anthony

I'd leave the front bumper in place unless you need to remove it - it's one of those jobs that should be dead easy, but inevitably half the nuts/bolts will be rusted solid and will snap

I'd personally say that there is no need to remove the subframe providing that you've got an engine crane as it's simple enough to lift the engine in and out from above. Removing the subframe just creates more work and opens up another potential can of worms, and why risk more issues than you need to when you're working with 20+ year old bolts and captive nuts?

pugpete1108

unfortunatly i think the bumper will have to come off anyways.

i was down sorting out the welding on sunday and found plenty of surface rust and paint bubbling behind the headlights on both sides.

whilst the engine is out, it makes sense to treat all the bad bits and then put it all back together

i know what you mean though,nearly every bolt on this graphite front bumper snapped while i was trying to remove it. i even had to cut a foglight bracket as both bolts were fubared

damien

as pete said, the front bumper is coming off anyway now to treat the rust problem mine has got.

i think removing the subframe would of been more work than what was needed IMO.

damien

bit of a update if anyones intrested (mite be worth turning this into a project thread)

before -

dscf4370ie.th.jpg

dscf4371q.th.jpg

dscf4372xsg.th.jpg

dscf4373r.th.jpg

dscf4374c.th.jpg

dscf4376bv.th.jpg

dscf4375nk.th.jpg

Edited by damien

damien

the engine bay all cleaned up and painted using some VHT black paint.

after -

20110716184526.th.jpg

20110716184611.th.jpg

dscf4477q.th.jpg

dscf4487p.th.jpg

pugpete1108

looking good mate.

is that how the matrix hoses go then? i put the top one to the header tank and the bottom on the the engine? may be why im having trouble bleeding it then :lol:

damien

i didnt think it mattered..... ive got loads of pics of other peoples which is a mix/match

damien

the old engine stripped down

20110716184400.th.jpg

the new engine stripped down

20110716184503o.th.jpg

306 PAS bottle

20111127153652.th.jpg

Masekwm

Please can I have your old engines engine mount bolts?!

Masekwm

Bollocks :( really? The ones that hold on the lower engine mount to the block?

Edited by Masekwm

welshpug

they're just standard M8 and M10 setcrews.

6913 J4 SOCKET SCREW DIAM 10X150-70

6913 G5 SCREW DIAM 10X150-45

(6913 V3) superseeded by; 6913 96, SCREW DIAM 8X125-30

:)

Masekwm

Yeah, it is the others 691778. I'm going to have to send the wife to a bolt place in the next week or so.

Edited by Masekwm

damien

replacment engine cleaned up/painted/built up

dscf4480h.th.jpg

dscf4479wo.th.jpg

dscf4478f.th.jpg

20111015120415.th.jpg

20111015120354.th.jpg

damien

in it goes.

was alot easyer with the battery tray off and the upper engine mount.

20111127165846.th.jpg

20111127165744.th.jpg

20111127165816.th.jpg

damien

got some trimming to do to clear the M/C

20111127165902.th.jpg

20111127165632.th.jpg

20111127165644.th.jpg

20111127165801.th.jpg

im back at work now so its all stop for afew weeks, im going to get a longer speedo cable, sort out a exhaust heat shield, trim the head/cam cover and sort the wiring loom.

Edited by damien

damien

head trimmed. im unsure if i should trim the cam cover, i dont really want to unless i have to.

dscf4497b.th.jpg

now sitting on its own mounts

dscf4495h.th.jpg

dscf4496x.jpg

dscf4494u.th.jpg

chipstick

Good work.

Trim the cam cover if it's forced against it. Don't go mad on it. I had my engine in and out several times so while it was in breifly I marked where to cut, and then when out again to sort the manifold out I cut it as much as required.

I wouldn't want to do it in the car unless you want to remove the master clylinder. But by the time you have lost the fluid etc, it would be quicker to pop the engine out again to do it.

Where did you get the load leveller from?

pugpete1108

how much did you have to trim off the other engine Daim?

odd how the tolerances differ even from engine to engine

damien

i got the load leveller for my birthday, i think it was from machine mart.

the old cam cover needed trimming loads, this one is only just touching. just abit worryed when the engine starts moving its going to do some damage.

damien

little bit of a update,

as the better half went off xmas shopping again!! i was left with the kids and some free time. i left the little ones indoors with the wii and i cracked on.

first thing was to set a old laptop up i got off ebay in the garage.

dscf4570z.th.jpg

dscf4571z.th.jpg

ive trimmed the cam cover back but not too much to expose the cam belt, even if it dont look like much i can fit a strip of paper inbetween the gap of the m/c and cam cover

dscf4561zg.th.jpg

dscf4562i.th.jpg

note the thin bit of card that just fitsd in the gap

dscf4563.th.jpg

i was planning on fitting the driveshafts and the bolt the exhaust to the manifold but the floor looked abit on the cold side so i decided the test fit the rad/fan housing.

seems like the housing needs trimming down as the rad hits the inlet..... as with everyone else who has done the gti6 converstion

dscf4567m.th.jpg

dscf4566q.th.jpg

a quick test fit of the slam pannel,

again seems like some more trimming is needed to clear.... well everything

dscf4564u.th.jpg

dscf4565z.th.jpg

at least it dont look half bad

dscf4569f.th.jpg

Edited by damien

allye

how much did you have to trim off the other engine Daim?

odd how the tolerances differ even from engine to engine

no, no, no! Engines are identical. Its the shells that are alarmingly different :blink:

chipstick

I would get a bit more clearance on the cambelt cover if I was you Damien.

A 0.5mm card isn't enough clearance IMO. The solid mounts are great at reducing movement, but will still move ever so slightly. They are rubber after all and the vibrations and hard cornering are likely to move it more than the thickness of a bit of card.

Is the servo spaced out? Make sure it is fully tightened if you have removed it or moved it more for any reason. I hadn't put a few nuts on the back of mine and it pulled it over - fortunately more so in my favour :lol:

damien

there is no spacers on the m/c.

i didnt want to chop too much off the cam cover, i dont want the cam belt exposed and covering it in tape (like my last engine) wasnt going to be a option.

your right tho that 0.whatever mm clearence just wont be enough, ive been toying with the idea of trimming the m/c but i just cant decide (or find a pic) of how much is save to remove.

i want to move on from the m/c problem now as ive been sitting on it for over a month now and this coverstion should only take a weekend (if i pull my finger out), ive been fart assing around with it for far too long now. its not like im doing anything special or out of the norm.