• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m@ttc

Noisey Starting New Starter Motor

m@ttc

hi there, i have just changed my starter from a standard fat body type to a xu10 slim body type (brand new off the self) now the car starts every time after 1 - 2 seconds, but the problem is the noise it makes. Sound's like the drive gears rubing/meshing with the flywheel gears, realy sounds bad and loud. I have taken the starter back off to look at the gears, and although it only started the car about 10 times its quite visible that the gears engaging the flywheel by about 7 mm. The end/tips of the gears look most worn with some even sharp. Just asking if this is normal on new starter gears with old flywheels and nothing to worry about or something more serious, sure sounds as if its serious. 9 tooths on gear, standard 1.9 engine and gearbox, dowels in right place, many thanks.

j_turnell

Xu10 starters do sound a hell of a lot different to a standard gti starter so worth bearing this in mind. Certainly worth checking the teeth on the flywheel though making sure none of them are damaged in anyway, it may not be messhing properly but if its all bolted up there shouldnt really be a problem. Im not sure how much of the gears should engage the starter however, so someone may shed some light on that one.

m@ttc

just put a multimeter across the two big terminals on the new starter to bell test it, and when i pull the gear with a screwdriver to it's engaged posistion, the coil dont close a contact to pass power to the motor like the old fat body type did. ie starter needs to bottom out before it starts spinning. So am i right in thinking these new type starter start spinning strightaway, the exact same time it starts to engage? Mabe this has something to do with it? what do you think? i.e its spinning before its engaged?

Anthony

All the XU10 slimline starters I've ever fitted have typically sounded noticeably quieter and smoother than the rattly old fat-bodied original starters, and nothing at all like you're describing.

welshpug

check that the dowel is present.

m@ttc

ok today i tested it on a bench, first test, just put 12v onto coil and starter engaged and motor started spinning, not full speed but tuning??? thats not normal surly is it? Second test put 12v onto coil and large terminal, motor starts turning at full speed instantly same time starter engages. is this wright? I didn't think it was, i thought engage first then spin, so i put a drive key between the end cap and gear to stop it fully engageing when testing, and it engaged the same time as spinning, but this time only engages a couple of mm because i got the key preventing full engagement and motors spinng at full speed rubbing against the key, im guessing this is whats happening againt the fly wheel. What you think? thanks..

gibbz

I have this exact same issue by the sounds of it... horrible noise when cranking but goes when the engine starts... fitted a new slim body GTi6 starter... dowel is in place but still makea a terrible noise when cranking over?? any ideas?

jackherer

Have you checked that your gearbox is tightly bolted to the engine? They tend to undo themselves over time.

gibbz

thank you i checked the bolts near the starter and they were tight but i will check the others now too!

cheers

stu8v

I have this exact same issue by the sounds of it... horrible noise when cranking but goes when the engine starts... fitted a new slim body GTi6 starter... dowel is in place but still makea a terrible noise when cranking over?? any ideas?

Is the Flywheel buggered?

Sign in to follow this