• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Timmartin0

1.9 Gti Wont Start

Timmartin0

Ive had a 205 1.9 gti for the last 15 years. The last 8 of which it has been parked up. I'm now trying to get it running again.

I have checked the basics and reallised that the problem lies with fuelling. i.e. I have spark at plugs but no fuel. I have changed the tachometric relay but still to no avail. The fuel pump cant be heard running which I remember from the old days it could ! 8 years ago the tachometric relay used to leave the fuel pump running which drained the battery(this is why ive just replaced it). Is it possible that the fuel pump could be at fault as it used to be left on permanently. The next step I presume is to check for voltage at the pump but I cant find it ! Any ideas where it is so I can check this ? or any other suggestions as to why the pump isnt running ? My model is a 1988 1.9 gti Thanks very much in advance for any help on this matter

james_ix

Ive had a 205 1.9 gti for the last 15 years. The last 8 of which it has been parked up. I'm now trying to get it running again.

I have checked the basics and reallised that the problem lies with fuelling. i.e. I have spark at plugs but no fuel. I have changed the tachometric relay but still to no avail. The fuel pump cant be heard running which I remember from the old days it could ! 8 years ago the tachometric relay used to leave the fuel pump running which drained the battery(this is why ive just replaced it). Is it possible that the fuel pump could be at fault as it used to be left on permanently. The next step I presume is to check for voltage at the pump but I cant find it ! Any ideas where it is so I can check this ? or any other suggestions as to why the pump isnt running ? My model is a 1988 1.9 gti Thanks very much in advance for any help on this matter

To find the fuel pump, lift the rear seat bottom bench up/out and you will find it under the plastic caps that are under the seat.

I can't hear the fuel pump running in my car, maybe the pipes are blocked. I could be worth disconnecting both pipes at each end and blowing them through. Make sure you drain any fuel you can out of the pipes first, you wouldn't want it going everywhere!!

Timmartin0

Thanks mate ill have a go !

One more thing I havent mentioned is that the fuel pump relay doesnt click when turning ignition on despite just being replaced. Should this make an audible click or not. If so is it likely that the fault lies with supply voltage to this ?

happygoron

Try to run the pump by wiring it up straight from the battery, will quickly tell you if pump is knackered or not.

Anthony

One more thing I havent mentioned is that the fuel pump relay doesnt click when turning ignition on despite just being replaced. Should this make an audible click or not. If so is it likely that the fault lies with supply voltage to this ?

It often won't, as some cars don't ever (or rarely) seem to prime the pump.

Pump should run with the key turned to the crank position, or when the engine is running.

A multimeter will be a big help here in tracking down the problem. If there's 12v (ish) at the pump but the pump doesn't run, then it looks like the pump is dead. If there's no voltage there, then work backwards until you find the culprit.

Timmartin0

have just checked voltage at pump and is 1.5v - is this normal ?

Timmartin0

that is with ignition on but not cranking !

james_ix

Thanks mate ill have a go !

If you explore all the normal options then i have another one to look at.

I used to have a problem with the horn and the rear heater being very temperamental. Sometimes they would work and sometimes they wouldn't and it took me months to find the problem. After establishing that they are both on the same circuit the tracing began. The problem was the relay on the fuse board in the glove box, which was not seating correctly. I replaced the relay and still no difference. The way i got it to work was to clean the realy up (it wasn't dirty), take the back off the fuse board and give a it a good firm push together. Since then they both have work perfectly.

Just a thought if your pulling your hair out, then have a look at that.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box when it comes the french wiring!!!

Hope you get it running.

What are you going to do with the car? daily runner, rally car?

james_ix

have just checked voltage at pump and is 1.5v - is this normal ?

No it should be what ever the battery is putting out. Sounds like a bad earth or dirty connectors.

Try cleaning them with some fine sand paper/ small file and then some WD40. Long term solution is to renew the connectors as once the protective coating on the connectors have gone they will corrode again.

Timmartin0

not sure mate gonna get it running and then decide ! if i can that is ! haha I dont suppose youd know why there is only 1.5v at fuel pump would you ?

Timmartin0

No it should be what ever the battery is putting out. Sounds like a bad earth or dirty connectors.

Try cleaning them with some fine sand paper/ small file and then some WD40. Long term solution is to renew the connectors as once the protective coating on the connectors have gone they will corrode again.

which connectors would that be and where is the earth ? thanks mate and im sorry im only a real novice when it comes to cars

Timmartin0

Try to run the pump by wiring it up straight from the battery, will quickly tell you if pump is knackered or not.

right Ive cleaned the earth on the gearbox and on the top of the front passenger side suspension and now getting 0.2v to the pump - Help !

Ive energised the pump direct from battery but it just makes a thud sound but doesn't run so got one on order off ebay ! any further ideas over the voltage issue ?

Timmartin0

right Ive cleaned the earth on the gearbox and on the top of the front passenger side suspension and now getting 0.2v to the pump - Help !

Ive energised the pump direct from battery but it just makes a thud sound but doesn't run so got one on order off ebay ! any further ideas over the voltage issue ?

james_ix

Ok....start at the beginning.

Check what voltage you are getting at the battery. Then with the engine not running, but the car switched on, you should be getting the same voltage at the end of the cable at the pump location. If not then there is a most likely a dirty/bad connection somewhere and unfortunatley you then have to trace that wire back and check/clean at each point, until you find the issue.

Welcome to the wonderful world of peugeot electrics.

Timmartin0

getting 14v at battery and 0.2v at pump ! Is there a more likely connection which could need cleaning given the problem ? and am i to assume that the relay is ok as there is some voltage(all be it tiny) at the pump and could a bad earth cause this problem ?

james_ix

getting 14v at battery and 0.2v at pump ! Is there a more likely connection which could need cleaning given the problem ? and am i to assume that the relay is ok as there is some voltage(all be it tiny) at the pump and could a bad earth cause this problem ?

It could be any of the connections unfortunately. The plug on the pump, the relay connections or the fuse connections would be my first place to look at.

My fog light stopped working the other week, when i tested the voltage it was only 1.5V. I cleaned up the connector and instantly the voltage went up to 14V and the lamp work perfectly.

So it doen't sound like broken wire just high resistance from corrosion. Has the ends of the cooper cables turned green? might better to cut the wire back to some good cable with new connectors

Timmartin0

Anyone else think of anything to try ?

james_pug

is the terminal corroded that your testing on? are you testing between both pins? try running the negative on the meter back to the battery and see what voltage you get will help you tell if its a bad earth or no voltage.

Timmartin0

Cheers ! Its on the list for tomorrow !

M_R_205

Yea, As stated test the voltage form the fuel pump live to the battery earth, and vice versa, Battery live to fuel pump earth,

If the fuel pump live is at fault it will most likely be the tach relay or one of its connections, IIRC the pump live comes directly from it

Paul.

Timmartin0

Sorry for being thick but what does IIRC mean ?

Timmartin0

doesnt matter - if i remember correctly ! haha

Timmartin0

Right guys - getting 10.2v at pump when cranking but not when ignition on last click - firstly is this correct and secondly is this enough to work it ? have dismantled my old pump , cleaned it out and put it back together - can now hear it pumping but nothing coming out of it ! would this be due to insufficient voltage or is it likely something is broken inside pump as i have dismantled it ?

smithy

i would say something in pump knackered if you can hear it going but nothing coming out then it can only be the pump. 10.2v is probably normal while cranking as the starter will be taking some juice.

quite normal to have voltage at pump cranking but nothing on last click,when cranking the tachy relay is energised from starter solenoid signal,once running the signal from dizzy sensor keeps tachy energised and power to injectors and pump.

get the pump changed so it is pumping fuel again and then take it from there.

Timmartin0

Thanks Smithy sometimes its nice just to hear it from someone else - as a novice mechanic I'm always secong guessing myself - Just ordered a new one from gsf £43 + vat - seems cheap ! all the other ones I came across where around £120

God help all you guys when I come to the cambelt change - haha !

Sign in to follow this