• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stu8v

[trackday_prep] Trackday Pug

stu8v

Well here goes,

After some time away (tracking Impreza's) I've decided to build another Pug 205, The plan is to build something that will be the equal of my old impreza around Cadwell. If I can acheive that I will be a happy man as my best lap was around 1min 45sec. Who knows how much Ill spend chasing that.............

I will try to give regular updates but as with all projects time, money and family commitments always have some bearing on the outcome.

Any input/advice is always welcome as I dont like making costly mistakes. LOL

The plan;

Multipoint weld in cage

Big brakes

Bilstein Tarmac suspension

mi16 motor

plated diff

Custom loom

Plastic windows

Serious weight loss (well anything that doesnt cost the earth, I cant afford unobtainium)

Track tyres/slicks of some sort

I bought YEE as an unfinished project, rough around the edges but had most of the main parts for the transformation and importantly only one small path of rot (passenger side footwell)

Picture070.jpg

Picture320.jpg

SDC11198.jpg

It took a weekend to strip to nigh on a bre shell ready for the cage

SDC12807.jpg

Cage arrived yesterday, very surprised given the snow..........................!

I made a start on the trial fit but given it was -5C outside I didnt get much done <_<

SDC12803.jpg

SDC12805.jpg

SDC12806.jpg

SDC12804.jpg

Cheers

Stu

matt.f

Nice cage bet that cos a bit!

Bigtimmy

I'm not sure that it will get through scrutineering held together with rape tape and cable ties............ :wacko:

Tom Fenton

Looks a nice project, I'll have to look backat a couple of my vids to see what lap times I've been round Cadwell in as a comparison.

One thing I would suggest is to test fit seats quite soon to check you are happy with position before you go too far down the route of welding the climbing frame (cage) in.

stu8v

Yeah I agree, test fitment of seats is a must. Its no fun when the scaffold is in.........

The cage did cost a bit but the "real deal" usually does. It was bought with the veiw of "logbooking" in the future.

I did get extra tube when purchased though as I'm putting additions to the strut tops and behind the dash.

Tim 892

The cage does look the real deal fair play! Are you welding in yourself?

Have you had that manifold custom made looks mighty smart.

stu8v

Yeah all the fabrication, roof swap, painting, machining wiring etc etc, will be done by myself, At this stage I dont think there is anything I will be farming out.

Oh manifold is std Pug mi16

Tim 892

Nice one i have massive respect for anyone with that sort of skill!! Not seen Mi16 manifold before looks very smart.

stu8v

Not much of an update but spent a couple of evenings tack-welding plates in and weighing up what goes where. Hopefully get some more pics up soon when it looks as though I've done something! Its just a little time consuming measuring then measuring again. LOL But I need it to be correct given the outlay......

stu8v

Well its not going to come out now, made good progress with tacking-up and finish welding.

SDC12977.jpg

SDC12976.jpg

SDC12975.jpg

SDC12978.jpg

Kev-G

Tidy welding.

:D

shalmaneser

Looks like some really nice work.

stu8v

Well, bought me a non-sunroof roof. That will be stripped down and prep'd ready for grafting on soon as the cage is fitted.

allye

I'm not clued up on cages at all, but thats one nice cage! Going to be stiff as a stiff thing :lol:

stu8v

Seat rails to do, then when I've sorted them in with the X door bars

stu8v

Had another couple of hours spare so the roof came off.

SDC13033.jpg

SDC13032.jpg

SDC13031.jpg

SDC13034.jpg

stu8v

After a couple of days prepwork I've finally got round to fitting the new roof skin, its pretty much complete barring brazing the rear quarters.

Ill post some pics soon as I can.

robnic

Hi Stu,

Looks like you're making nice progress I'm a newbie wanting to get started on my shell that I keep dusting down! with the weather getting a tad warmer I probably pass near by you when out on my KTM wouldn't mind calling in for a nosey... it should give me some inspiration to get my finger out!!

Cheers

Rob

stu8v

Got quite a bit more done over the last few weeks

The cage is now complete, seat rails are in and I've popped the engine back in to enable me to mock up the radiator mount and strut brace, check exhaust clearance etc etc.

A couple of mates have also made a start on removing the underseal etc so I can get it all fully rust proofed.

Click on album below for further piccies

v v v

stu8v

Well work is getting in the way some what atm doing too much overtime leaving me with a serious lack of motivation to start in the garage at 8pm, I'm not acheiving as much as I want. Grrrrrrr.

But,

Strut brace made and all the brackets welded in.

Extra seatbelt mountings welded in.

And still scraping underseal............

testamias

Unfortunately i know to well what you are talking about

Edited by testamias