• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

AlexN

[project] 405 Mi16x4/t16 Track Car

SwedishBob

Wow!!! Serious project!

AlexN
Wow!!! Serious project!

Thanks! I could say the same about your project! Your carbon fibre door cards look really good, I think I will do something similar on my doors.

Tim 892

This looks like it will be awesome fair play! Cant wait to see the finished product. Nice one :blink:

AlexN

I got some seriously good news this morning, Colin has managed to put some serious effort in on my car over the last week or so and the engine, with the Mitsubishi gearbox and transfer box fit! It was a bit tight apparently and the drivers side chassis member needed a bit of modification but it all in there, with the block in a very similar place to the original location. The Xsara steering rack will fit as well, which is useful! I'm not going to get to see it all until after Christmas though, but it really shouldn't be too much longer until I get the car back from Colin, then the fun can begin!

TeCh2pe

Lovely! Looking forward to see some more photos of the details. Keep up the good work Alex! :angry:

AlexN

I managed to get over to Colin's workshop over Christmas and saw the progress that had been made on the car. Using a spare engine Colin had successfully been able to mount the Evo gearbox and transfer box in the engine bay and remade the mounts accordingly. The Xsara steering rack was managed to squeeze in above the transfer box output shaft. Colin has also been working on the front and rear suspension set ups and from what I saw it was looking really impressive!

Sorry for the slightly crappy quality of the photos I only had my phone with me.

5313859591_4afc666057_z.jpg

5313859587_536c464f5f_z.jpg

5313859585_0bc575dfb1_z.jpg

5313859575_b4f62f1c6e_z.jpg

It was really good to see the it back on four wheels and looking more like a proper car again. I am hopeful to have it finished before the summer but I am sure there are going to be many issues along the way to solve, not least re-wiring the whole car!

Junosix

Nice one! It's starting to look like a car now :rolleyes:

Edited by Junosix

AlexN

I have finally got round to doing some more on the engine. The sump and head went on plus a few other bits and pieces like trial fitting the inlet manifold and getting ready to fit the cam belt. Anyone got any good tips to lock the cam pulleys when you are using aftermarket ones without the timing holes?

5401515609_8e038153ab_z.jpg

5401515605_04de9e17c8_z.jpg

5401515597_c8153e1dfd_z.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pics and my finger over the lens!

qwerty

Thats a thing of beauty there :unsure:

Am sure you could make some kind of wedge to jam between the wheels

Awesome work!

Vili

This is one seriously nice build!

Could you give little more information about using the XU10J4RS buckets in XU9J4(or Xu10J4) head? Are they direct fit? How much/how many grams lighter they are compared to Mi16/S16? It is very interesting option to increase rpm capability of the valve train.

AlexN

From what I know the XU10J4RS lifters are fully compatible and weight 49 grams compared to 62 grams for the standard (XU10J4) lifters. They are a better, more modern design as well. They won't allow you to run a higher rev limit, but they should be more reliable at high rpm.

Edited by AlexN

AlexN

Another milestone has arrived for the project, over the last few days I have been working with the lads in the machine shop to apply the finishing touches to my custom brake bells, and thankfully my measurements all seem to be spot on!!

5455640851_11430006f4_z.jpg

5455640847_482813385f_b.jpg

5455640843_e03092573d_b.jpg

The bells are complete with built in hub-centric spacers and the total depth is about 19mm. This offsets the disks sufficiently to allow the lower ball joint on the 406 hubs to have plenty of clearance. I now need to work out the dimensions for the radially mounted calliper brackets.

5455640839_746b9b6888_z.jpg

5455640833_c869f8e096_z.jpg

The quality of the machining is top draw, everything is spot on and they should do the job perfectly. Now I know they fit perfectly I am going to get them anodised black on Monday. I am also going to get the final modifications carried out on the inlet manifold to accept my Alfa 164 throttle body, and that will be finished too.

I have also decided that I am going to run some GM/Delco D585 truck coils, these have a built in igniter and they give a nice powerful spark, as opposed to going down the fully CDI route. I can get them from the US for $25 each, so at that price it is a no-brianer.

I have also bought a pair of genuine new headlights and the trim that fit underneath them, and also a brand new grille. So the front of the car should be very smart once it is finished.

welshpug

epic diskage ;)

406 hubs are the same as 405 btw :) but I guess these disks are nowhere near small enough to fit under 406 Brembo's :D

AlexN

I thought (had been told) that 406 hubs are hollow and therefore lighter? Those disks are to go with my Brembo GT callipers, and because of the alloy bells they actually weigh less than the 406 Brembo disks! They should stop me well enough ;)

welshpug

you are kinda right, early 405's had the I beam cast hubs (similar to 205) with a smaller BJ, later 405 hubs share the 406 BJ and hollow casting ;)

allye

Nice post count WP (15000 ;))

They are some serious discs! What wheels are you using!!?

AlexN

I have got some 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1s, the discs comfortably fit underneath them.

AlexN

Sorted a few more things out this weekend. I have finished chopping up the plenum chamber of my inlet manifold to remove the original pipe and prepare it to have the original flange from my throttle body welded on. Once this is done my inlet manifold will be finished! I finished off the fuel rail as well, bolting it all up properly.

I have also finished the design for the extender brackets for my callipers. I hope that I have got the dimensions right! It was fairly straight forward to do as there are only really two key dimensions. Once I have one made it can always be shimmed/skimmed slightly to fit if necessary.

5461178559_031bd5ce7b_z.jpg

Also I have started work on mounting my new alternator. I took the original cast iron mount (the one that held the PAS pump as well) as cut off the base part. I will bolt the lower alternator mount to this, shimming it as necessary to align it with the crank pulley. I am then going to use a slotted adjuster (one off a 205 or similar - check out my wanted ad if you have one going spare :( ) to allow tensioning of the belt. I will bolt this to a custom made plate that will bolt to the upper bolt hole of the original bracket. This has all turned out to be a lot easier than I at first anticipated!

5461751794_181b6c2f4f_z.jpg

5461751792_f60dccd97b_z.jpg

Junosix

Al, you wally - you could have had my tensioner off my 8v 205 engine... if I'd known earlier and hadn't sold it two weeks ago! :)

EDIT - Yet again, that looks like it's coming along really nicely!

Edited by Junosix

AlexN
Al, you wally - you could have had my tensioner off my 8v 205 engine... if I'd known earlier and hadn't sold it two weeks ago! :)

EDIT - Yet again, that looks like it's coming along really nicely!

Doh! Oh well, I have only really started thinking about what I needed recently! I am sure some other kind person on here has one available :)

Will be heading to Cornwall end of the month, we should catch up! Is you Mi finished yet?

Junosix

Yep, she went in for MOT last week so hoping to pick it up next week. Couple of minor things to do to make it just right after that, which should be perfect timing for when you're down!

lukesaddy

WOW epic build that pal, nice to see a 405 getting some love, i cant wait for updates :D keep up the good work :lol:

AlexN

A few updates, I have had the brake bells anodised and the brackets are in the process of being made. I have bought a set of Peugeot Sport wheel studs, so once I have the brackets the whole lot is ready to bolt on!

5489310123_51b2cd1011_z.jpg

I have also got the inlet manifold back from the welders, the flange from my throttle body is now securely attached! I just need to decide what colour to paint it...

5489310099_3083d88b17_z.jpg

Batfink

Now my car is out the way I believe Colin is cracking on with yours to get the final bits finished. Was looking good when I was down there monday.

Nice bike in the background BTW :D