• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jimmer

Be3 Endfloat

jimmer

Does anybody know what the endfloat tollerances are on the input shaft on the BE3 box?

Any help much appreciated

jimmer

Phoned up my local peugeot dealer and spoke to the workshop foreman who was very helpful. The endfloa figure ist is 0.08mm +/-0.04.

blandy

Rather than start a new thread

Where do people source new shims from I.e is it possible to by a kit with options only place I’ve found so far is spoox at around £3.50 a shim.

Miles

230631, £58.91 from Peugeot, Got loads here as well

blandy

Ouch that much wish I would of brought the box home with me and measured properly to get the correct one as didn’t have my dial gauges or verniers with me. Will have to nip back in the week and get it as not planning on building many boxes to make £58 worth while. Thanks though miles.

RossD

A quick headsup: Be aware that if you change the input shaft seal on your gearbox, that the pre-load/endfloat will need to be rechecked.

When swapping over my gearbox recently, I thought it would be prudent to change all of the seals (So driveshaft and input shaft seals), however after doing this, I found massive end-float on the input shaft. I removed the 'new' seal and checked the adjustment shim was still present between the seal and bearing, however end float remained. Only on checking the height of the old vs new seal did I find they were different. This was an aftermarket part, not genuine Peugeot, so be aware....!

• Like 1

ArthurH

We have just found the same as Ross above.  We had what we suspectected was a leak from the input shaft oil seal, so bought a replacement from eBay.  The new one was of a different manufacture to the old (which given the car's long history, may or may not have been OEM anyway).  The old one was machined steel, the new one fabricated from sheet steel.  When we fitted it, it didn't provide the necessary pre load thrust against the shim and so we had more side to side play on the input shaft.  Another difference was that the new one also had a grey neoprene(?) seal around the outside of the spigot that mates with the bell housing.  Being a bit desperate, we shaved that off with a stanley knife, this then allowed the spigot to press harder against the shim and reduced the side to side play to similar to the original.  We were feeling quite smug up to the point where we found it now leaks oil - probably from the 'missing' seal.  With hindsight, we should have put a smear of silicon in its place.

Anyone else had related issues?

welshpug

you can replace the shafy seal alone without the housing if you wish, and yes that bonded silicone seal should have stayed there! 

• Like 1

ArthurH

Thanks Mei.  One of the reasons we changed the whole 'nose' was the outside of the sleeve was showing wear from the CRB, but I guess I could have emeried that smooth again.

Our original 'machined from solid' housing didn't have the 'mating seal'.  Should it have?  Or is it just the 'fabricated' versions  that need it?

Is there a particular part number for the seal?  Are the 205GTI housings different from other applications of the BE3 gearbox?

Edited by ArthurH
Extra question added

welshpug

the original cast/machined type used a paper gasket, superseeded by the pressed steel part in the early 90's

• Like 1

ArthurH

Thanks Mei.  Is that what is still recommended for reassembly, or a smear of gasket goo?