• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PVFCpug

Omex 100

PVFCpug

Well tonight I am pleased as punch. :P

Started getting bits together now for a while to convert over from 8V dizzy set up on my MI over to a ignition only Omex set-up. So firstly managed to get an Omex100 with Loom for a good price. Swapped gearbox from BE1 to BE3 to allow CPS set-up from MI16 toothed wheel.

So fitted a free CPS, had to purchase a new Weber TPS and went with a second hand Vauxhall XE coil pack (two for the price of one on T Bay) and the Vauxhall leads go straight on.

Started stripping everything off last week, and tonight actually tried it and it actually fired first time of asking Absolutely delighted as I had to rebuild the loom (at least I know it very well now), in theory it should actually kick in as it has a MI16 map already in it from previous owner but not very often a plan comes together.

Only started it to make sure she fire's so tomorrow I will now get round to removing shed loads of redundant wiring (at last a tidy bay) and see if I can get it running well enough to get it to Mikeanichs in Congleton for a set-up.

Few little job's left to carry out such as making the Omex as watertight as poss as it is in the engine bay where coil used to be, making up a good coil bracket as the one I am using at present is a little Heath Robinson.

Anyone know how much roughly it will be forMikeanics to set this up? May need the cam timing altering as it is set-up at present to give track performance as opposed to road running (which to be honest is what it does most).

Also if anyone needs a MI16 8V setup pease shout up, its in perfect condition with new re-curve, dizy adapter, new lead set, new dizzy cap, new rotor arm, new flying lead of dizzy, new ignition amp and new coil!

marksorrento205

Ade, im sure it cost me just over £300 and that was inc an mot and a omex 600 set up.

craig_007

Hi mate,

What the story with the recurved dizzy,I could be interested in this.

Was it curved to the spec of your engine ?

PVFCpug

Right need someone who knows there onions here. Since I actually got it to fire that is exactly all it will do. Battery fuly charged so plenty of cranking! When it turn over I get either a splutter or a backfire, so I am assuming I have a spark (please correct me if wrong), however that spark could well be out timing wise. The map I have in the Omex is from an MI16 with twin 45's and the only differance being mine has the hi lift Catcam on it. Still would have thought it would attempt to run for a few seconds if nothing else. Anyone out there good at reading a mapping using the omex map3000. I just want to get it so I can get it about five miles under its own steam save hiring a trailer. File would need .doc extension removing, apologies for this as it is a cheat, but the MB would not accept the map file otherwise.

Edited by PVFCpug

PVFCpug

Okay, I have checked and we have a spark from all four coil outputs. The engine was running fine and dandy prior to fittign Omex so cannot see it being a fuel issue (its on carbs anyway). Like I say it has spark, it has fuel and when connected and turned it just backfires like mad without actually starting properly. Baffled by this as the map is from an MI albeit with slightly different cams, but surely it should fire up even if its very erratic. Pretty sure the startup settings are OK in ECU and all the spark setting for 0-2K are 20degrees ish, set to 60 teeth.

Been racking my brain and wondered if it is possible I have altered the cam timing? You see the attachment on the end of the inlet cam to convert to 8V dizzy was a bitch to undone, and when it finally gave it went with a snap. Is it possible I have made the inlet cam skip over the teeth of the belt?

No bad noises when turning over so I thought all was OK. Unfortuantely I cannot get the cambelt cover off to have a good look neither.

Any idea's anyone, if not it means trailering it into Mikeanics instead of driving it in. Just wanted to be sure in my own mind I wasn't wasting his time by taking anything duff in with me.

Anthony

What exactly have you changed from when it started to now when it won't?

You've definately not touched the HT leads or the wiring to the coilpack, have you? My first thought would be that the HT leads are in the wrong order or you've got 1+4 and 2+3 round the wrong way on the coil, so the wrong cylinder is sparking.

If you can't get the cambelt cover off, a compression test should give an idea if the cam timing is significantly out.

PVFCpug

Right , I have gone from MI16, twin 45's, with a 8V dizzy set-up which was running fine. However as always with this set-up it is a compromise. So decided to fit a Omex 100 using a CPS fitted to gearbox (peugeot unit), the coil is from a Vauxhall XE and the leads are brand new. I am using a Weber TPS fitted correctly and giving good readings in ECU

The leads are attached 1,4 and 2,3 and I have tried them both ways on the coil. One way I get zilch, other way round it just backfires. Not 100% which is correct though, it is possible the backfire is a bit of a red herring to me (ie firing on exhaust)

welshpug

Firing order is 1342 from flywheel end. so you'd have 1 and 4 paired, 2 and 3 paired as you said, it doesn't matter that Vauxhall number theirs from the other end as it is wasted spark, you'd be firing a spark at both ends.

I would check that you have indeed got them paired properly, (coil pack may be numbered) and that they're on the correct pair of terminals for the trigger.

other than that it#'s all a setup/settings issue I would imagine.

PVFCpug

AM I correct in thinking to get the cambelt cover off its the two Torx screws and the clip in the centre. I have tried that and removed the fuel filter to no avail, seems to be held on at the lower part of it!

Anthony
AM I correct in thinking to get the cambelt cover off its the two Torx screws and the clip in the centre. I have tried that and removed the fuel filter to no avail, seems to be held on at the lower part of it!

There's two bolts at the bottom (5mm hex head IIRC) which you'll likely need to loosen. You'll need to pull the cover outwards and then upwards to free it from the stud in the middle (which is that that clip you pull releases)

PVFCpug

She runs!

E-mailed Omex to see if they had a base map anywhere near my spec, and sure enough they came back afer a few days with a base map from an MI but with 45mm TB's instead of carbs. SO loaded it in after converting it to suit the ECU firmware and first turnover she idle'd straight away. Give it some throttle and sure enough she revs.

Going to leave it at this point as its dark and I have other cars in front of garage. Wait till morning and get th garage door open and see what happens.

Just pleased as punch that I hadn't lost the plot and obviously the map that was in it was nowhere near mine even though it was supposed to have come from a similar engine.

Cannot give enough praise for Omex support, considering I have purchased about fourth hand very old Omex 100 and they still are happy enough to help out. Top guys :)

Anyone that needs a copy of this base map shout up, bear in mind it is just that though. A base map to gte it started.

Edited by PVFCpug

Matt180

If it was Andy at omex you know your in good hands!. Ive got omex's on both of my cars and he's always been a great help with any problems.

PVFCpug

OK just taken her out for a few miles run just to put some temperature into her. Been a while since she has run for any length of time. Obviously did not give it any beans as it is a base map only. However, even with the map not tuned I have to say what a massive improvement. All of a sudden she idles great, and can pull from much lower down the rev range smoothly. It's like driving a propper car, all smooth and that.

Only problem now is obviously using the O/P from the coil pack the rev counter is only reading half value. Am I correct in thinking I need to assemble the few diodes as described in SPiky's thread to get round this problem, there is a o/p from the omex but it doesnt seem to do anything at all. I have enabled it on the ecu as well.

matyasg
E-mailed Omex to see if they had a base map anywhere near my spec, and sure enough they came back afer a few days with a base map from an MI but with 45mm TB's instead of carbs. SO loaded it in after converting it to suit the ECU firmware and first turnover she idle'd straight away. Give it some throttle and sure enough she revs.

could you please share the base map you got? I have mi16 with PeterT stage I cam and twin 45's. Now it's running on 8v dizzy, planning to build an OMEX100 instead..