• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

[engine_work] Daviewonders Laser Green 205

Daviewonder

Today was one of those days where I got loads of little bits crossed off my list but nothing spectacular. I fitted the exhaust and lamda sensor, fitted alternator belt, reassembled my instrument panel, removed the oil heat exchanger and fitted a stumpy filter, fitted an adapter and sender to allow me to run the 205 oil pressure gauge, rewired alternator, plumbed in the dump valve, fitted new servo hose and plumbed in the cold start valve.

Only thought to take a few pics-

SAM_0644.jpg

SAM_0641.jpg

SAM_0642.jpg

Quick tip for removing needles from gauges for those that don't already know it-

SAM_0629.jpg

Hopefully get more done tomorrow :wub:

Daviewonder

Today I mounted the cooling fan to the back of the rad. Then I made up the bottom rad mount from the old fan cowling and fitted the rad along with the new top bracket.

SAM_0645.jpg

SAM_0648.jpg

SAM_0649.jpg

I also made up some brackets for the intercooler.

Thats it for today ;)

Edited by Daviewonder

lloydgti

looks awesome, im running a much smaller intercooler though, same as a cossie 2wd. what gearbox are you using? im using the 1.6 but people have mentioned changing the final drive to the mi16 one. we'll see.

cant wait to see what you do next, im getting excited just reading it

Daviewonder
looks awesome, im running a much smaller intercooler though, same as a cossie 2wd. what gearbox are you using? im using the 1.6 but people have mentioned changing the final drive to the mi16 one. we'll see.

cant wait to see what you do next, im getting excited just reading it

Hi Mate, Cheers.

Yeah my intercooler is a little on the large size but i got it for next too nothing and I'll downsize it if it creates too much lag. This is the first turbo engine I've owned so its all going to be a learning curve. My gearbox came with the 205 when I bought it as a rolling shell and is off a 306 2.0 HDI, again I hope this will be ok for the engine but if its not I can always fit a 1.9 one.

Good to see you're getting back on with yours :lol:

Daviewonder

Had a spare hour or so today so I nipped down the local scrappy for a look round. As soon as I got there the heavens opened and I was soaked to the bone within a couple of minutes. I was quite surprised by the number of base model 205s that were there (4 or 5) as usually there's only one if you're lucky.

Anyway after having a quick check of each I managed to get a perfect condition grille

SAM_0679.jpg

Apart for the fact its in the wrong colour its ideal as mine had seen much better days and all the backing was snapped off.

I also managed to get the missing hose for my cooling system, this one goes from the expansion bottle to the thermostat housing.

SAM_0682.jpg

And I got the remaining connections for my loom. This should enable me to finish the loom once and for all :)

SAM_0680.jpg

£10 for these bits :D

On the way out of the scrapyard something caught my eye so I enquired about the price out of curiosity while I was getting my other bits. 30 seconds latter I was heading back into the scrapyard in a sort of fast walking/skipping/jogging manner with my tools ablazing. 20 minutes later I had myself a set of these-

SAM_0681.jpg

Luckily the Guy who works there had only just found time to remove the locking wheel nuts by welding a bolt to them as they didn't have the key. He said they had had lots of interest in them over the past few days but no-one could get them due to not being able to get the wheels off and him not having any spare time. So £50 later I was on my way home with a big grin on my face :)

All Praise The GTI

lucky sod!!! ;)

Daviewonder
lucky sod!!! :P

I know :D I didn't plan on getting brembos for the project but £50 for a set of 4 pots it's got to be worth a go!

Today after a couple more hours of faffing about I finally came to terms with the fact that I'm not going to be able to fit the evo intercooler without the pipes being squashed against the body and still being able to keep the front grille. So rather than losing the grille I decided to say goodbye to the stupidly oversized intercooler once and for all. Having looked through numerous threads I see that the 2WD Cossie intercooler is quite commonly used in this conversion but I'm not sure if I can use one and keep the radiator at the standard height and keep the grille. I'm now thinking that Sam had a good idea when he used an MR2 intercooler but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any knocking around at the moment.

I also ordered some Baker Bushes and Mountings GRP N top mount rubbers so I can get on with sorting My suspension when these arrive :D

Thats it for today :(

Goliath

I've just read through your whole project, it looks very nice, I love laser greens :P

I'm glad you sorted the wiring without too much hassle. I ended up giving up on mine because of the wiring and the difficulty installing the intercooler so i'm glad too see it hasn't beaten you too!

Just a note about the red grill you picked up from the scrappy, you can swap the coloured bits over, it can be a bit tricky to separate them but it is possible :ph34r:

Good find with the brembo callipers too :lol:

I will bee keeping an eye on this from now on ;)

All Praise The GTI

hello mate. its all looking good :D

just wondering what intercooler that is on page 5?

and is that one or your evo? one up for sale? as i need a cooler to fmic my 306 hdi :D

Edited by All Praise The GTI

Daviewonder
I've just read through your whole project, it looks very nice, I love laser greens :P

I'm glad you sorted the wiring without too much hassle. I ended up giving up on mine because of the wiring and the difficulty installing the intercooler so i'm glad too see it hasn't beaten you too!

Just a note about the red grill you picked up from the scrappy, you can swap the coloured bits over, it can be a bit tricky to separate them but it is possible :D

Good find with the brembo callipers too :D

I will bee keeping an eye on this from now on :ph34r:

Cheers Mate, Yeah the wiring wasn't too bad compared to the whole intercooler saga, I struggled for hours with the evo intercooler but I finally admitted defeat (for now ;)) . Thats a good point about using my green bits on the new backing, I think I'll give it a go. I've seen you are using brembos on your Monster 205, Did you need to use spacers with the Nimrods? Did you use standard 205 hoses onto the caliper pipe? Sorry to hear about your wheels :(

Thanks, Dave :)

hello mate. its all looking good :D

just wondering what intercooler that is on page 5?

and is that one or your evo? one up for sale? as i need a cooler to fmic my 306 hdi :D

Hi Mate, the intercooler on page 5 is a custom made one that was fitted to a 306 2.0 HDI engine in a 205, Its not a lot of use to me at the moment as the inlet and outlets are too small and I could really do with both of them being at the top of the cooler. I have the pipes that came with it too but I have no use for them either. If your interested Pm me and I'll take some photos for you.

Cheers, Dave :)

Goliath
Cheers Mate, Yeah the wiring wasn't too bad compared to the whole intercooler saga, I struggled for hours with the evo intercooler but I finally admitted defeat (for now :ph34r:) . Thats a good point about using my green bits on the new backing, I think I'll give it a go. I've seen you are using brembos on your Monster 205, Did you need to use spacers with the Nimrods? Did you use standard 205 hoses onto the caliper pipe? Sorry to hear about your wheels :)

Thanks, Dave :D

What intercooler are you going to use now? I had an evo 7 one that I was trying to plumb in.

My Nimrods are the worse of the 2 offsets so need spacers anyway, I used either 15mm or 20mm spacers (proper hub extensions), I can't remember which though! You need longer flexi hoses to fit the Brembo's, I got mine from Miles for about £30 delivered I think :D

Daviewonder
What intercooler are you going to use now? I had an evo 7 one that I was trying to plumb in.

My Nimrods are the worse of the 2 offsets so need spacers anyway, I used either 15mm or 20mm spacers (proper hub extensions), I can't remember which though! You need longer flexi hoses to fit the Brembo's, I got mine from Miles for about £30 delivered I think :)

I'm trying to find a suitable intercooler at the moment, possibly a 2wd or 4wd cossie one as the others I've looked at had the wrong side pipe diameters, if I have no luck I'll look into getting a custom one made up as there's a local company that does these. Ah the hoses sound ideal, there's some on eBay at the moment for £135.00 but I hope thats a misprint :o

Cheers, Dave :)

Quick update, My BBM grp n top mount rubbers arrived today so I should hopefully be able to get my suspension fitted at the weekend, I just need to clean up and paint the hubs :)

SAM_0695.jpg

Edited by Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Just a very small update. A few months back I was browsing through some old posts from about a year ago on the BX16v forum and I saw a guy had been breaking one for parts, I pm'd the guy on the off chance that he still had the dials and he replied saying he had a few sets and that he wanted a tenner each. He asked my address to work out postage and I replied and asked how he wanted paying. I never heard anything back a few months passed and this morning these arrived-

SAM_0708.jpg

These are the ones that have a green back light rather than orange and also have an oil level gauge built into the oil pressure gauge along with ABS light wiring that I hope I can convert to an engine management light.

The only thing I can think of is that the guys sent them to me to check out before I pay? I've pm'd him to ask how he wants paying and I'm awaiting a reply. But its nice to see there's still good trusting people out there after reading so much lately about scammers.

What with the price of these and then the Brembos luck I had I'm hoping good luck comes in threes ;)

Edited by Daviewonder

Goliath

ooh thats nice of him ;) If you fancy selling one of them then let me know as I think my V6 will have a working rev counter using these clocks ;)

ade 4wd

Those BX clocks have both an ABS lamp and an enginge management lamp.

marksorrento205
ooh thats nice of him :o If you fancy selling one of them then let me know as I think my V6 will have a working rev counter using these clocks ;)

I dont see why it would not have a working one using the std 205 clocks?

Edit: sorry to go off topic, just found it interesting B)

Edited by marksorrento205

Daviewonder
I dont see why it would not have a working one using the std 205 clocks?

Edit: sorry to go off topic, just found it interesting B)

I think using one of these is just plug and play, it saves you using all the diodes and stuff that's needed to make a 205 one work properly :)

Goliath, I've not quite decided what I'm doing with the spare set of clocks yet but if they go in my 1.9 I'm sure I could do you a deal on the rev counter gubbins as I won't be needing them :)

marksorrento205
I think using one of these is just plug and play, it saves you using all the diodes and stuff that's needed to make a 205 one work properly :huh:

Thats what I was thinking :D The v6 conversion into a 205 I did was no problem at all to get the std 205 taco working. Just interested to see if it was the reason, and now I know :D

jackherer

I'm surprised you can use any 4 cylinder tachos with a 6 cylinder engine without messing around to 'hide' some of the pulses such as connecting to just two out of the three wasted spark coils.

marksorrento205

Somehow it reads right on idle and also on the limiter. God knows how :)

Edit: Would the fact the wire comes from the ecu not a coil etc?

Edited by marksorrento205

Daviewonder
Somehow it reads right on idle and also on the limiter. God knows how :P

Edit: Would the fact the wire comes from the ecu not a coil etc?

Thats what I thought, As we're talking later management doesn't the ecu just get its reading from the TDC sensor and send that to the rev counter?

welshpug

yup

marksorrento205

There you go then, cheers welshy

Daviewonder

I believe this only works though if using the rev counter from cars equiped with motronic management and not the earlier jetronic. I'm guessing Goliaths 205 is originally a jetronic model which is why he needs a later rev counter?

marksorrento205

Not sure, but the car I v6'd was a bog std 205 running on jetronic